Trimmed Borders/Altered Decks Index

AJ

Special request to AJ.
I am extremely curious about your trimmed Gaian. Any chance you put some pics here, ma'am please? Gosh you have mutilated a few animals during the process as the picture often expands into the white border.. ;)

K
I'll be glad to, give me a bit, can't believe I didn't think of it myself :)
I'm not here much right now, am in the midst of a huge project, and am sleeping or resting about 14 hours a day.
In the meantime you could go to my blog and do a Gaian search and see seven of them...

Kissa

Hi AJ!

I followed your advice and went to your blog. No need to put cards here, no hurry at all now! They look really neat, you did a great job! I almost trimmed my copy yesterday but I got cold feet: I would have been practically decapitating an otter and cutting tails or heads of various birds and other creatures..

In addition, I don't know the deck well enough to find the cards in the book without title. I shall find another copy to trim it. But it sure is extremely tempting after seeing your work :)

K

Ps: mysterious card on your blog where woman "hugs" pilar is Nine of Air.

AJ

eight more pictures of the Gaian trimmed.

Attachments

• Gaian trimmed 001.jpg
    Gaian trimmed 001.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 443

Penthasilia

Crystal Visions

Anyone trim theirs yet? Would love to see some scans before I go scissor happy })

Carla

Oh, AJ you're tempting me to trim my Gaian! What to do, what to do!

MareSaturni

I guess what I mean is that once a deck has been trimmed, the edges will never again line up as they would on a factory cut deck. (Obviously!) Or at least I don't think they would. I have only seen photos, and sure it would depend on the person cutting and what they use, how meticulous they are...but I have never actually held a trimmed deck in my hands, so i don't know.

I have trimmed my Enchanted Tarot, and while it looks a thousand times better without the borders (and now I can actually shuffle it), my trimming job was far from perfect. My hand is not steady enough for a perfect straight cut and we do not have much things as 'corner rounders' here... at least I haven't found them here for a decent price.

The cards do look a bit uneven in size (just a little bit) and the corners are square. I thought it'd not like it, specially after I compared with the perfect trimming done by other ATers, however... I like it. I don't know why, but it left the deck with a 'handmade' feel. As if each card had been individually done by the artist. And the square corners get worn after a while and no longer bother me.

I think some would cringe and retch if they saw my deck, but personally I like it. I am thinking about trimming one of my Mythic Tarot copies, and I'll be happy if I get a similar result even though it's not perfect.

I will post some pictures of it when I get home, so you can see and judge for yourself. ;)

AJ

do not have much things as 'corner rounders' here... at least I haven't found them here for a decent price.

I will post some pictures of it when I get home, so you can see and judge for yourself. ;)

Marina, give me your mailing address, I'll send you a corner rounder.

yirabeth

Well, I trimmed a deck that most would think doesn't need trimming...I trimmed my Shadowscapes.

I've been having problems with my hands for about a year now, making it uncomfortable to shuffle large cards. When I started learning to read playing cards, I realized how much more comfortable I was with the smaller deck...on measuring the borders of the SS, I thought maybe that 1.8cm of trimmed card would really help! It didn't bother me to take the titles off, because I've been using the deck almost exclusively since it came out almost 2 years ago.

Here's the results...I'm so happy with it! It's not a perfect job, but it's perfect for me :) My hands like the size better, and in spite of what I felt were nearly invisible borders, taking them off seems to have made the colors really POP on it -- those borders were stealing the sunlight out of the pictures!

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 1,083

MareSaturni

Trimmed Enchanted - PICTURES

Below are the pictures of my trimmes Enchanted tarot.
My special thanks goes to Cardlady, for sending me a replacement of the 10 of Pentacles, a card that I destroyed by trimming it wrongly. That was so nice of her, and thanks to her I have a complete deck! :)

Pics (sorry for the not-so-good quality, I am not very good with cameras):

Six cards - examples so you can see how each suit looks! I loved how vibrant the colorful border seem now!

The edges - here you can see clearly how uneven some of the cards are.

The whole deck - here you can see the whole deck fanned plus the back of the cards.

Marina, give me your mailing address, I'll send you a corner rounder.

Awwww, thank you so much! That is very sweet of you to offer this! :heart:
But I wouldn't like to cause you all this trouble - shipping to Brazil can be expensive, even to send small things. :(

senescal

I have trimmed my Enchanted Tarot, and while it looks a thousand times better without the borders (and now I can actually shuffle it), my trimming job was far from perfect. My hand is not steady enough for a perfect straight cut and we do not have much things as 'corner rounders' here... at least I haven't found them here for a decent price.

The cards do look a bit uneven in size (just a little bit) and the corners are square. I thought it'd not like it, specially after I compared with the perfect trimming done by other ATers, however... I like it. I don't know why, but it left the deck with a 'handmade' feel. As if each card had been individually done by the artist. And the square corners get worn after a while and no longer bother me.

I think some would cringe and retch if they saw my deck, but personally I like it. I am thinking about trimming one of my Mythic Tarot copies, and I'll be happy if I get a similar result even though it's not perfect.

I've seen a few online but they do get expensive. It would actually be cheaper to buy from Amazon if only they would ship anything but books and decks to Brazil.