Labradorite : Depressing ?

samantha

I bought a piece of labradorite as a pendant over 6 years ago. Although I love the colours I very rarely wear it. Almost every time I take it out of it's box (thinking yes, I must make use of this !) I end up putting it back as something about it makes me feel rather down or bleak. I have no idea what this stone is meant to do (will go and look now) but wondered if anyone else feels the same way, and if yes - why ?

EDIT: One of the sites I googled says to " wear this if you are feeling down, anxious, or your energy is being drained " This is pretty much how I would describe it's affect on me ?!
That said, it also seemed that some of it's healing properties/functions are things which I
already have. Maybe this is it ? A stone I don't really need ? So, is there such a thing as overkill? It sounds odd. Perhaps I'm wrong here.

raeanne

Hi Samantha,
Have you clensed your stone? There could be some risidual negative energy connected with this stone. Where do you store your pendant? If it is in a dark place, you might want to put it somewhere where it can 'breathe'.

samantha

Hi Raeanne
I have to admit having no idea how to cleanse a stone, but will look it up ... Would water and then some time spent in the sunshine be enough ? (Apologies if this is a bad guess on what to do....)

Yes, it's kept in a wooden box. It sits on the top of some bracelets, and possibly can't breathe as it is also inside a cotton pouch !! (Now I feel I've been cruel !)

I'd never thought of the possibility of it having picked up negative energy from outside? I guess because I am it's sole owner (?) but you are right, I have no idea where it was before the shop, and it's also *been around* in uncut form for ....well, along time !!

samantha

Ok.... Salt water, not tap then ? And moonlight rather than sunlight ? The second one might be hard to achieve as our appartment rarely sees the moon ! I can see why moonlight might suit this stone (it has a kind of moonstone look to it) but Im still not sure why sunlight is not a possibility. Too intense an energy ?

Tarot Orat

Mineralogically, labradorite is indeed related to moonstone (and also amazonite and aventurine). I'm not an expert on cleansing stones, but moonlight does seem like it might be preferable to sunlight.

Padma

hey Samantha :) I also have crystals that repulse me when I try to wear them - I usually take it as a sign that I do not need what they offer at that time. Or, I will need it in the morning, but then come evening, it makes me feel very edgy, and I have to remove it...so you are not having an unnatural reaction...did you check out the crystal study group links at the top of the crystals forum? There are many posts there that sort of talk about this issue - or flip back to last summer's posts (surely only about 5 pages back) because there was a lot of talk then about using our crystals, choosing crystals, cleansing crystals...

Wait, i will fetch you some links: crystal studies: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=175866

Meanings, cleansing and care: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=162839

ps - place your labradorite on a table at night, and surround it with a ring of sea salt to draw out any negativity. The stone shouldn't touch the salt. Next night, replace the ring of salt (wash the old salt down the drain) with a fresh one, to recharge the stone. hth! :)

stonesatiety

Hi Samantha,

Lots of great advice for you already! I'm so glad there are stone lovers here with the Tarot.

There are stones that I love, but don't often attract me either, for example, moonstone and sugalite. A friend of mine feels unmoved by rose quartz. We are naturally strong in the qualities of the respective stones. This in support of your feeling that you already have enough of the labradorite qualities.

You were attracted to it, so perhaps the labradorite is also helping you work on an issue difficult to face? In that case, gradual, gentle work now and then may be best. That has happened with me with many stones over the years. Looking back, I'm glad that I kept at it and, also glad I didn't try to rush things.

Clearing stones: Do you have any clusters? If so, place any stones that need clearing on or touching the cluster. Nearby or at a distance is fine as well, but this depends upon your beliefs. The stones honor the beliefs we display by our actions, rather than our slippery words. Stones don't miss much and our bodies do not lie.

A human can clear anything. However, that requires trust and knowing, which come with experience. Yes, you! :) The stones will teach us how, if we pay attention to the way the stones clear things. Pay attention to how your body feels. Our bodies do not lie to us either.

Reiki can clear stones as well. The more we trust, the quicker and more sure the clearing.

Sound is the quickest and most effective external means of clearing I have found other than clusters and other stones. I have a lot of stones living in the family, and the washing, salt, sunlight, moonlight, smudging, etc. techniques--which can work fine--are impractical. Be careful placing amethyst, citrine, calcite, and other such colored stones in sunlight, as they might fade. However, a large amethyst cluster I have actually becomes darker for awhile after being in sunlight. ??? I just trust the stones and honor their requests. Oh, water, with or without salt, can damage some stones as well.

If you are having fun and enjoying the stone play, you are probably on the right track.

samantha

Thanks for the replies !

Tarot Orat : Interesting that Amazonite is in the same group as this is one of my favourites. I love the colour and have several *bead* bracelets. I have no problem wearing this one ... which makes me think that, as others suggest, my issue with Labradorite may not be due to the stone itself.

Lotus : Thanks for the links :) It sounds as though you have really fine tuned your relationship with your stones; a kind of tolerance level -like family members ??!
I will try the salt circle- probably better this way as stonesatiety pointed out that some stones do not like direct contact. (and Labradorite looks kind of porous to me )

Stonesatiety : Just before I read your post I was looking at another (perhaps better) site about stones and their properties. Although they also hilighted the qualities that I believe I have sufficient off, they also mentioned a couple that I'm sorely lacking (and have been an issue for the longest of times.) This made me pause for thought, and then your post.....
I think this could explain the push-pull I feel with this stone. I'll try what you suggest and,
after cleansing, try and wear it for short periods and see how I get on.

queenxofxwands

The first time i held labradorite, i got a lump in my throat and found myself holding back tears. Eventually i let them flow, i have found this stone releases blocked emotions, if you have repressed stuff, it will try to come up. Ohhh boy the path that followed was a very emotional but also a very very healing one. I now have a very large piece, the size of my palm, and can now feel peace and serenity when i hold it. Its now my favourite stone. Its a deep emotional healer, well, that was my experience anyway.

queenxofxwands

Ive also put this stone in the sun, its sun proof.