Crystal caution list

shelikes2read

We have discussed taking precautions when using crystals in elixirs, or charging them/cleansing them in water.

This is the most comprehensive list I have found, regarding crystals and taking precautions because they could either release toxins and/or damaged if they are mishandled.

http://www.healingcrystals.com/Crystal_Cautions_Articles_1009.html

Do not use the stones on this list in elixirs, nor put them in water.

Alta

Good list! Thanks for posting.

KristinCali

I'm very familiar with crystals and minerals but I didn't realize how long of a list this would be! Thanks for sharing.

shelikes2read

My version of "elixir" has always been of the "aim a wand at the water and project energy via intent", as that's a guaranteed non-toxic way to get the desired energies into the water. However, I was surprised at the length of this list, as well.

I was also surprised at the number of minerals and stones that bear the "wash hands after handling/do not touch eyes or mouth while handling" warning. Methinks I will be turning my attention to OTHER stones instead, ones that won't make me sick if I accidentally have the wrong kind of bodily contact with them, lol. The whole idea of handling toxic materials with my bare hands makes me skittish.

KristinCali

I was also surprised at the number of minerals and stones that bear the "wash hands after handling/do not touch eyes or mouth while handling" warning. Methinks I will be turning my attention to OTHER stones instead, ones that won't make me sick if I accidentally have the wrong kind of bodily contact with them, lol. The whole idea of handling toxic materials with my bare hands makes me skittish.

Well I hate to see somebody avoid crystals. FYI, I own and handle hundreds of minerals and crystals. My collection is massive! I've never gotten a rash, or irritation, or sick (that I know of!) from handling them.

Karrma

As far as the iron one, LOL. I like to use cast iron for my cooking, and have heard about putting iron nails in water for increasing iron, in countries where iron is not readily available. Trace copper and zinc are vital for us, but I would be cautious about the mercury or arsenic containing ones.

Darkmage

Copper, though, is an essential trace nutrient. We don't need as much of it as we do, say, iron or magnesium, but we still need some. Deficiency is rare but it can and does happen.

That having been said, I wouldn't drink anything with these stones, or any other, in it. Bits can break off, small stones can be accidentally swallowed, etc. As for safe handling, I usually only play with my tumbled pieces and leave the rough pieces alone. Some stones can't be cut or polished safely without heavily damaging them.

Mercury and arsenic often occur naturally in tap water. Most city water systems filter them out.

Hemera

Interesting list.
I just find myself wondering if for examlpe Aluminium that is strongly tied to the structure of a stone eg. in Rubies, Sapphires or Emeralds would actually dissolve in water. If it did we could not wear those crystals as jewellry either, right ?

danieljuk

saving this list, very interesting, thanks :)

Darkmage

If rubies, sapphires, and emeralds dissolved in water, we wouldn't still be using them in jewelry after thousands of years.

The only thing that dissolves around those is money from your wallet--they're three of the most expensive gemstones there are because of their rarity. Then again, if you need one for magic purposes, a low-grade non-gem quality stone will work just as well as a super-duper flawless one.