Pronunciation....

Shaymus

Is thoth pronounced 'tawth' or 'tot'

Shaymus

firecatpickles

Or, is it "toe-th"?

And to add, while we're on the subject, how is "Heirophant" pronounce --does it rhyme with "elephant?" "Hero" or "Hyro?" Does the "H" sound?

KK
:TSTRE

ravenest

A rose by any other name ...

I've always used Th - o (short) - th. Thoth (as written)

But then I am Orst-rail-yun.

maybe an upper class Pommy would say tawth ?

lunakasha

ravenest said:
I've always used Th - o (short) - th. Thoth (as written

Same here....but always wondered if this was the correct pronunciation.

Can anyone confirm it for us???

:) Luna

lunakasha

Apollonia said:
Well, I always said Toeth, but I guess I was wrong, because I just found this:
http://www.answers.com/topic/thoth

That was quick! Thanks, Apollonia....:p

Hmmm....so it is pronounced "tot" :confused:.....I wonder if I can train my brain to get used to it now??? LOL! Maybe, maybe not, but it is good to know (and some interesting info in that link!).

:) Luna

Dwaas

Here in Holland most people I know say "Tot" which happens to be correct as well I see now, thanks to Apollonia. :) I think we pronounce it as Tot out of convenience because a lot of Dutchies have problems with the th-sound. But of course the chief-mr.knows-it-all of tarot who lives nearby told me already years ago we had to pronounce it as it is written in English: Thoth. So he used to amuse us by saying: Zoz :D :D
Blessings

Ross G Caldwell

I'm sure Crowley would have said "tote", which is how Egyptologists then and now say it, and most Europeans.

But I've always said "thawth", because "tote" sounds affected in English nowadays.

Most (North-)American Thelemites I have known say "thawth" as well.

MikeTheAltarboy

I say thawth too. :) The name thoth comes to us, I *believe* by way of Greek, and we pronounce Greek thetas as "th" in English: theater, ethos, matthew, etc.