cleansing - serious or silly?

Cleansing crystals - serious or woo-woo?

• Yes, I cleanse my crystals and I've noticed it's made a difference over time

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • Yes, I cleanse my crystals, but I've not noticed any difference in how they work

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • No, I don't cleanse my crystals, or only irregularly, and have noticed a difference

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • No, I don't cleanse my crystals, or only irregularly, and haven't noticed any difference

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters

Sophie

Ok, I'm going to throw a stone in the pond here. I'm not talking about cleaning gritty or otherwise dirty crystals. I'm talking about the habit of leaving stones in water, in salt, in the moonlight, in the sunlight, with other crystals, etc. etc.

Are these seriously useful methods, or just woo-woo? I've always done it - since I acquired my first crystals about 8 or 9 years ago - but I am beginning to wonder if it's useful, or if it's just reassurance for my mind. It works because I think it does.

So - for everyone, here's a poll. I'm interested in your experience over a period of time - so please, no one-offs. How have the stones shown to be more effective if cleansed? How have they shown to be less effective when not cleansed? Which cleansing methods do you consider effective, and which do you see as woo-woo or otherwise useless. Crystals are meant to work thanks to their energy waves. I have used them successfully for years - so I am not putting in doubt the value of crystals themselves: just the cleansing and the various methods. Why, for instance, would exposing a stone to the full moon or leaving it in water "cleanse" its energy?

I'd be grateful if you could explain your poll choices in your posts.

Thanks!

Helvetica,
going through one of her periodical crises of doubt ;)

Kahlie

Well, No, I haven't had anybody clean my crystals except to wipe the dust of them... Can't say I notice a difference. Several people I know who are very into crystals have exclaimed how "powerful" my Crystals are... I have no clue why!

Kahlie

Alta

I only use moon and sunlight. I have noticed that those affect stones. Washing, not so sure.

lark

I wash mine to get the dust off and make them brighter..but my method of actually atuning them to cleanse them is using a singing bowl.
Yes, I notice a strong difference after I do that.

Elven

Hi Helvetica :D
I voted for 'Other' because of the varients..

Helvetica said:
... but I am beginning to wonder if it's useful, or if it's just reassurance for my mind. It works because I think it does.

I believe that is part of the equation - the power of the mind, the power of intention, and the over-riding belief - to produce results which manifest effectively. As the mind is used as a tool to transmit and recieve, so are crstals - they've been using them for years in technolgy - Synthetically made as well. I think the crystal structure and compounds support this, and the mind is a most powerdul tool for 'application'.

Helvetica said:
How have the stones shown to be more effective if cleansed? How have they shown to be less effective when not cleansed?

Maybe this is difficult to answer - as each crystal (whether it be 'for example' just quartz - quartz with certain inclusions etc) is as individual as a row of mobile phones in a communications store. Some work some dont, some have great internals, others aren't put together so well, some have a great ariel, some have great reception, some dont pick up when theyre out of range, and some have global systems ... some have lots of programming capabilities, some are limited, some are designed for different conditions and purposes: heavy duty and water proof, pink and fluffy teeny-tiny ones for handbags ...
Though as the old saying goes, size doesnt matter ... and quality not quantity .... use it with the purpose its made for in mind ...

You would then be as like the 'network' - (your mind/cryatal combination/purpose) - your mind may pickup on some and not others, you may be more open or on a different wave length at the time - sometimes transmition might be down or the network out - the satelite has spun off its orbit :p -

Is your intent: clear and precise
& the power behind your thoughts? - mouse pwered or nuclear?
Is your skill level - 'dial-up or broadband' - convetional - digital .. lol!!!

Its hard to consider if it is or isnt working because there are such variable factors - is it me or the crystal - would it'work' better if 'I' worked better. I have programmed it - so Im not sure if it would/wouldnt work if I didnt programme it. Have I cleansed it correctly and programmed it correctly - is it the right stone for my purpose? :eek:

Helvetica said:
Which cleansing methods do you consider effective, and which do you see as woo-woo or otherwise useless.

Part of this comes from the belief of the method, the effectiveness lies with the other aspects combined.
But I dont believe in putting or placing them on or in something which would damage them beyond the basis natural structure - I believe you can enhance them - whther its by cleansing or crafting them - but each to their own methods of how this is done.
My preference is to honour them by gifting to nature (tobacco, feed the birds etc), with prayer through smoke (sage or insence), giving them a 'prepared space' in my environment (crystal cushion or similar) to 'rest & work undisturbed' and connect to them through meditation and voice. The above also prepares me (my mind) at the same time - physically acting out my intention, and creating the best atmosphere to programme them.

Helvetica said:
Crystals are meant to work thanks to their energy waves. I have used them successfully for years - so I am not putting in doubt the value of crystals themselves: just the cleansing and the various methods. Why, for instance, would exposing a stone to the full moon or leaving it in water "cleanse" its energy?

I think this relates to the connectedness of all things - and that these types of methods are so very very old, established and steeped in tradition. Crystals do conduct and interplay with energy - temperature is one ... they are of the earth as all is - there is a connection. I cleanse in salt for the following base assumption which gives me my grounded reasoning relating to the purpose and intent senario:

Numerically and Astrologically 8/44 Eight: Saturn, Ruler of Capricorn.
(I am a 26/8 ruling Number, a 6 Day number, and a Cap (12th month of the year) - this fits with my 'personal construction' so it maybe easier to see where i find my connection to this reasoning from the explaination below..)

DustyBunker - Numerology - Astrological Assignments to the Numbers.
44: Atlas, an occult point. 8 is pressure, responsibility, strength and karma. The Four as a square represents matter; Eight as a cube represents the solidification of matter. The cube reduces to an eight: a cube has 8 points, 12 lines and six planes 8 + 12 + 6 = 26. reduce the 26: 2 + 6 = 8. Salt crystalizes in cubes, and the bible says: ye are the salt of the earth. 8 is solidification. Is it not also the eighth tone of the scale that solidifies musical composition?

A small passage of text which changed the way I look at salt (8 substance), myself & the earth (the equation) - crystals (G*d/G*dess), intention (karma), programming music (voice), and consequences (manifestation and the physical representaion of the 8 - the lemniscate - as above so below...to create). I liked the connection, and having Cancer as my opposite sign (Moon) I like to balance the cleansing with both substances.

Im glad you mentioned those two Helvetica - it made it easy for me to explain :p my perspective, but this is what helps with the mind aspect of crstals - cleansing - and programming for me.

Hope this makes sense...

Where is a geo-physicist when you need one ... MCsea!!! where are you!!! :p
MCsea - isn't salt (the cube) the basic form (design / strucure) of the/a 'crystal'?

Blessings
Elven x

BodhiSeed

Funny that you should ask this question Helvetica. I was just reading a new book called "Rock Medicine" by Sela W. Randazzo and she states:

"To clear the stones, it is not necessary to do anything but leave them alone. No sunlight, moonlight, or salt cleansing makes any difference. In fact, using salt or salt water is detrimental to your mineral tools, as it has a caustic effect on them. This practice is just an 'old wives tale' and originates from when sages and shamans of old carried their stones and crystals with them on their backs with their ration of food and good drinking water. They stopped periodically to wash the dust off. When by the coast, they used the salty sea water as opposed to using their precious drinking water. It was a simple matter of practicality that has been blown way out of proportion."

Many blessings,
Bodhran

diane drizzy

When I first get them, if water friendly, I clean them with bottled spring water. If clear outside I'll leave them on my window ledge during a full moon phase.
Does it help? I can't really say, but it doesn't hurt. Besides I'm superstitious enough to always wonder if it would have made a difference.

sharpchick

There are stones I cleanse and charge by sunlight, as well as those for which I use moonlight. There are times when I use a combination of all four (five if you count spirit) elements for consecration of a stone on my altar. There are a couple of stones which I don't charge, because their energy is such that they are able to charge other stones.

Most of my stones are what I call "working" stones. They are used as jewelry which is worn for a specified purpose, or carried on my person. They are used in various combinations in containers in my home and office. I use them for magic. So I cleanse and charge my stones as frequently as I feel the need for it in the manner I feel appropriate at the moment.

Does it work? Are the stones more effective for their designated purposes? Yes, they are. As in all things magic, I believe you have to be clear about your intent, aware and respectful of the properties with which you are dealing, and you have to be able to visualize the magical result.

Sherringham

Yes I do cleanse my crystals, if they have been used for a Healing spell, then they must be cleansed as they have been charged for a specific person or animal, and the crystal's energy is focussed on that being.
Once they have recovered their health then I cleanse, if they have died, which sometimes happens, then the crystals are bathed in moonlight, sunlight and my quartz cluster to discharge any negative vibes, then stored in darkness for sometime until recharged.

delizt

Hi there,

I do cleanse my crystals, not with salt water anymore as I have found that to be too harsh and in the beginning ruined a few! But I have a few methods that I use when 1. the stone is new, 2. when I have been using the stone a lot, or 3. when the stone just "feels" off...and I can usually feel the energetic difference right away!!

I cleanse with "intention" and running water for the most part or where "stonger" cleansing is needed, add a drop or two of either Aura Soma's White Pomander or Serapis Bey essence in the rinse water then they wipe with a white towel and place on a window sill in the sunlight or moonlight for a hour or so....alternatively I have a Sage Clearing Spray with essential oils and crystals I spray lightly around them and if any stone has really lost it's zing, I place it on a quartz cluster for awhile....

Sometimes I find that no matter what I do, the "zing" is gone from the crystal and after a few cleansings and chargings, if this is the case, I take it as a sign the healing work I was meant to do with this stone is finished and it's time for it to move on and I "gift" someone with it, and everytime I have done so, the recepient has then felt "zing" and that's sign for me that the crystal is now with the right person...