knowing the symbols before reading thoth deck

silverstep

Im a beginner in tarot and am working with the major arcana one at a time. Im finding that its hard to work with this deck until I look at books or other peoples interpretations of all the objects and gods portrayed in the cards. My interpretations are pretty scant until i do this. For example in the Magus card I would never know that the monkey represents the god of writing or the egg with wings represents Esp and intuitiveness. Does any one else feel like this, any strategies? Have you meditated for a few days and thought about the symbols before turning to books?

ravenest

Although I think it is a good idea to study the symbolism and reference books and find out all the things the symbols could mean, I woudn't reccomend that this stops you from plunging in to practcal experience and working.

Both go hand in hand, and frankly, there is so much in the deck, the symbols and the esoteric knowledge contained within that one could spend a life-time studing the cards without actually ever using them.

The learning expereince will continue for many, many years, so don't try to rush and understand everything from the begining, it will come.

At least you wont get bored with this deck.

HudsonGray

Wait till you get to the Spermit card.

ravenest

You are going to have to elaborate on that H.G.!

Abrac

One thing I have learned about tarot is that divinatory meanings may not necessarily coincide perfectly with the symbolism that is portrayed on the card. Usually the divinatory meanings are pretty straightforward and are somewhat consistent from one deck to another. They have a history that goes back a few hundred years, and may have made sense at one time, but now may or may not. However, with symbolism, the meaning can be much more subtle and represent ancient ideas that are sometimes very difficult to understand, much less put into words. I agree with ravenest. Understanding the symbolism can take years, but that is no reason this should stop you from learning to read with this deck. Just take small steps, learning the divinatory meanings first while incorporating an understanding of the symbolism as you go.

I love the study of magical and occult symbolism. It is truly a language all its own. And I admire your courage in jumping right in with a deck like Crowley's Thoth. I have no doubt you will be richly rewarded.

silverstep

The deck is very exciting. Are the divinitory meanings based on the symbols of the cards. If there is a sun in the card , does the divinitory meaning say that there will be light in your life or growth and happiness? I don't understand the difference.

ravenest

Sure it can. If you are going to read symbols like that, look for hints; is therre a thread of those symbols in other cards in the readings, is it the only Sun symbol, etc. There are lots of ways.

After some time a 'symbol bank' will build up automatically in your mind and a whole not of associations will be triggered with each symbol you see. Eventually it will become like an autonomous function ... and that can seem to be like intuition.

thinbuddha

ravenest said:
You are going to have to elaborate on that H.G.!

He is refering to the sperm looking object on the Hermit card. Not actually sperm, but sure looks that way.

Itika

The Pictures' language

In connection whit Thot Taro is quite supportive to reed comments of Rudolf Steiner on a fable of Goethe (about the green Serpent and the white Lily).

Abrac

silverstep said:
If there is a sun in the card , does the divinitory meaning say that there will be light in your life or growth and happiness? I don't understand the difference.
In most lists of divinatory meanings for The Sun card, there is usually given a positive meaning if it shows up in a reading - happiness, material/spiritual progress, success, etc. The divinatory meanings for the Thoth tarot are in the front part of the instruction booklette that comes with it. But the image of a sun on a tarot card, or anywhere else for that matter, does not automatically imply happiness or good fortune. It depends on many other factors. Does it look cheerful? Does it appear menacing? What context is it set in? Is it known to be associated with any particular group, religion, or philosophy? Are there any words or symbols attached to it? This is where experience and reference books come in handy.