Make Them Borderless!

Annush

I think “all decks” should be made borderless … to understand that they would be far better with borders.;)

rylla

I'm about 75-25 % in favor of borderless decks. As already mentioned, it depends SO MUCH on the deck, but overall the number of decks that looks better borderless I find to be higher than those with borders (just a personal preference). So if I had to choose between all decks to be borderless or all decks to have borders I'd choose borderless.

JustJazzie

There's one deck I've considered taking the boarder off of, if only to make it fit my small hands more comfortably.

That said- I don't even like trimming my basil plant to eat, even though it will regenerate. Feels a little murderous.
So I will probably never find the courage to take a blade to my deck.

Enlightenment23

I 110% agree.

I do not like borders, it really minimizes the affect of the image for me. To give you an analogy, it makes it look like I am looking at a photo with a distracting frame instead of allowing me to have an immersive, imagery experience. As someone who loves to sort of envision the image in its totality - and even imagine that I am in the image - borders tend to throw me off.

This is one of the issues I have with my Urban Tarot deck. And the borderlessness is what I loved most about the Silicon Dawn tarot deck.

rylla

Of course, it depends on the design. But don't you find that, generally, black borders are less distractive than white ones?

delinfrey

I wouldn't call these generic white borders "borders of artistic expression".
Well done borders, I think, add a lot to the deck. What comes to mind is Legacy of the Divine i really like the images blending into the black, and to read them on a black cloth. Cool!

If the border is a part of the deck, be it so. But some decks really work better without borders.

I am still sad that I didn't buy the Zerner-Farber when I had the chance. I think the Enchanted version does not do justice to the imagery.

garmonbozia

I think borderless decks are stunning, and would definitely like to see a trend in that direction.....at least a lot more often than we get them now.

geoxena

I don't dislike borders, for the most part. I feel like they are windows through which to view the world in the cards. I don't understand this almost obsessive need some people seem to have, to eliminate them no matter what, lol. Generally, I barely notice them. Someone mentioned the Celestial Tarot, saying the borders are "very ugly." I read that and thought, "Huh?" I never noticed anything about the borders. I don't have very many decks, and I'm not a collector, but the only one I have that has borders which bother me is the Legend: Arthurian tarot, but that is because the artwork is so detailed and tiny that the borders seem to make the imagery even tinier. If you trim those borders off, it wouldn't help because the images would still be tiny. If anything, I think that a lot of decks should be bigger. I would rather have larger cards with borders than smaller decks without.

If I were to make a deck, I think I'd have the artwork sort of bleed into the borders. I don't see a need for really wide borders, though. And maybe I'd put the keywords or card titles straight across the middle, instead of at top or bottom, just to dissuade people from trimming! Hahaha!

Luna's Crone

As Nemia said - it depends SO MUCH on the deck.

But one small point - borders protect against chipping of the actual image.

That is so true gregory. for instance, i love both of my deviant decks and i still can't shuffle the borderless, so in my functionality opinion, what was the point. But the Ace of Wands, Ace of Cups and the II of cups are my favorites in that order and i do like them best without the borders.

But in the end, it does come down to the deck. I love some of the borders on decks.