Decks you would love to see get a restoration done on

starlightexp

With several great restorations having been done over the past few years what old school decks would you love to see cleaned up?

trzes

Visconti. There are very good decks in the style/mindset of the Visconti decks. And there are many great facsilimes of course. What I wish for though is a reworking that is close to the original (say Cary Yale), only with brighter colors, cleaner lines, a better focus on the important bits and less baby-ish faces.

I itches me to give it a try myself, but I would have to finish a bunch of other projects before (my lifetime might not be long enough even for those), and I think that this would be better done by a professional/skilled artist anyway.

mrpants

The facsimiles are cool, but I'd love to see a Flornoy-style restoration of the Tarot de Paris, in particular.

Laura Borealis

Seconding the Tarot de Paris. I've seen a few of the cards in cleaned-up form, actually, but afaik it's only a handful of them. They were posted in a thread round here somewhere.

Examples attached -

Attachments

• LeBateleur.jpg
    LeBateleur.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 140
  • LeChariot.jpg
    LeChariot.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 135

trzes

Seconding the Tarot de Paris. I've seen a few of the cards in cleaned-up form, actually, but afaik it's only a handful of them. They were posted in a thread round here somewhere.

Examples attached -

Wow! These look gorgeous! I want a full deck of those too!

As most of the grand masters of marseille restoration and reworking are members here: is anybody listening and willing to make us happy? :D

Laura Borealis

I vaguely remember someone talking about doing a restored Parisian tarot, at some point. If I remember right one issue is getting high quality scans from the museum that owns the deck.

I have scans myself actually (not high quality though). Many of the cards are so terribly murky. I have no idea what's going on in some of them! It would take considerable patience and skill to do a Flornoy style restoration. I think there are people with that talent in the tarot community though. :) It's such an unusual deck, and I think an important one, too.

JDS

I would like to see better card stock used in restoration decks. The last few restored decks I acquired were printed on what was basically glorified computer printer card stock. The card stock used by Flornoy for the Noblet or Dodal restorations should be industry standard.

AJ

Mamluk
I know a member here is redoing a deck but they don't look anything like the originals, they are computer generated art.

To hold a deck like the originals, now that would be exciting.
And majors consistent with the original deck...wow.

gregory

Sangreal. The trick would be finding a copy to restore, though !

blue_fusion

Sangreal. The trick would be finding a copy to restore, though !

Same with the Charles VI. Lo Scarabeo's seems nice enough, but I really like the look and feel of the original.