What can you tell me about this deck?

Stefan Rhoades

cb64a04476788df328437c6b1092abee.jpg

My girlfriend and I found this tarot deck at a comic book store. We both love antique oddities so we split the price and bought it together. The box reads:

B.P. GRIMAUD
ANCIEN TAROT
DE MARSEILLE
•PARIS•

Would also like to know what the symbol represents on the front of the box?

Upon searching through the deck, I also noticed it was missing XXI LE MONDE (The World). If anyone has this card for this particular deck or can point me in the right direction as to where I can find it, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Marirowana

Hi Stefan,
Welcome! What a beautiful old deck!

I can't tell you anything about it, but I do can point you to the
Singles Bar for missing cards :) you never know.

Stefan Rhoades

Hi Stefan,
Welcome! What a beautiful old deck!

I can't tell you anything about it, but I do can point you to the
Singles Bar for missing cards :) you never know.
Thank you! I love the fact that I can tell that they were used frequently and that the box is worn, gives them a story :) yes! This is perfect, I'll definitely utilize that thread asap!

Catmoon

THe name of the deck is as you can read in the box "ANCIEN TAROT
DE MARSEILLE" the printer was "GRIMAUD" the year it was printed sould had been circa 1930 but at ATwe have experts in marselles that can answer you better than me, it will be valuabe even with a card missing, and it will be hard to find an exactly matching card (backs are diferent), good luck ;)

Sayadina

Beautiful old deck. I agree with Catmoon that it should still be quite valuable even with one card missing.
I have been collecting older decks for a while now and find they really add something to my collection as a whole.

Sumada

Congrats - very nice deck! Please show scans of Le Bateleur and the 4 of Deniers (Coins), and then we can tell you more precisely how special this deck is.

Stefan Rhoades

Thanks everyone! Not sure if I want to sell these guys or not. They've been giving me very accurate readings so far so it makes me not want to let them go even more! I just really want that darn XXI card
As requested,
ae753046f58eb51ef187ffade19d8d3a.jpg

Sumada

Ok, not the earliest printing I'm afraid - le Bateleur would have two red coins instead of two yellow dice on his table if it was. Still it is definitely pre 2nd World War, and the colours are softer and far more appealing than modern ones. I'll scan my le Monde for you if that's any help - finding a matching single might be a long shot!

coredil

As Sumada already wrote your copy is a quite early version even if not the very rare first version with coins instead of dice on Le Bateleur and Lys flowers instead of tulips on the four of coins.
This is the same deck as described in this post
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1075026&postcount=92

This post comes from the thread already mentioned above by 3ill.yazi which is quite long and not really well organised but offer some informations on many different versions of the Ancien Tarot de Marseille.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57491

I call this deck the Marteau Grimaud because Grimaud has printed this deck before Marteau came.
The origin of the deck is the Arnoult Lequart deck from 1748.
Something I personally find truly remarkable about this deck is the fact that having his origin in the Arnoult Lequart deck it has continuously been in print until today!

Best regards