Is it an Oracle deck or a Tarot deck, or ...

feline_scholar

I was rummaging around here and uncovered a deck called the GaiaStar Codex. It consists of 64 cards, and since they are not similar to the Major and Minor Arcana, I guess this is what would be considered an Oracle deck.

Obviously, I have not used it much or at all!!

Attachments

• OracleGaiaStarCodex.jpg
    OracleGaiaStarCodex.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 129

danieljuk

There is some Oracles which are so on the border of being a Tarot deck! All divination cards are an Oracle but to be a Tarot deck they have to have (like you said) the Major and Minor Arcana and 4 Suits. Confusingly the authors/ artists of this call it a Tarot on shopping sites but I think 64 cards for me is not enough for a Tarot but I can't seem to find any info online of the system about it!

This reminds me of the Osho Zen, this is also on the border of Tarot / Oracle but has a Tarot system but is so close to being an Oracle and even has one extra card than Tarot. However it's intention and formal system is Tarot and so AT classes it as a tarot and it has a study group in the tarot section. However people do use it as an oracle at times.

With the Gaia Star Codex, it's really your own call and I think it only matters which it is if you are going to use it in AT for readings which has a categorisation. But probably at 64 cards it's an oracle, but it does have tarot in it's name on amazon so it's a tough one :)

feline_scholar

Thanks!

I am new at all of this, so to say it was confusing is an understatement! Thanks for replying and for clearing things up. I don't find much at all about this deck. It is very beautiful IMO, but I think I will set it aside for a while until I have learnt more about Tarot, "straight," so to speak. There IS a LWB with the deck. But with very little to go on, it's probably not best to try to dive deep into it as a beginner.

I've noticed the Osho deck too and didn't realize what you mentioned - that it is not, in at least one sense, a Tarot deck, exactly.