Tarot Renaissance

Teheuti

I posted an article on my blog on the "Tarot Renaissance" that began in the late 60s (including what led up to it). Although I didn't list every Tarot-related thing I have on my current timeline I did try to touch on the major influences and the development of specific currents. Does anyone know of anything I missed or could you point out a perspective I didn't see?
http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/1969-the-tarot-renaissance/

Does it make sense to you that 1969 is the turning point year that I'm calling the origin of the 20th century tarot renaissance?

Hey - who else can I talk to about these things?

Mary

Scion

A great read, Mary!

And it does make sense... my only question is about context. I wonder how you'd define "modern" Tarot in a way that distinguishes it. I agree that there was this strange zeitgeist, but I'd love you to actually articulate what you see as the singular quality(ies) of the reborn tradition. But maybe that's a different article... (?)

Thanks for the link. :)

S

Teheuti

Scion said:
I wonder how you'd define "modern" Tarot in a way that distinguishes it. I agree that there was this strange zeitgeist, but I'd love you to actually articulate what you see as the singular quality(ies) of the reborn tradition.
Scion - great question and one of the things that I come to this forum for. I'll need to think about it more later. It probably is its own article - as it's nice to have the data stand on its own. If you or anyone else have ideas, feel free to express them.

One thing that's always intrigued me is that during the late 60s and very early 70s the Egyptian Tarot (ala C.C. Zain in the US, and others elsewhere) had the opportunity to become the dominant model. I struggled with this a bit around 1970-71 when I got the Church/Brotherhood of Light deck and book, but was already wedded to the RWS (University Books edition). It was Christine Payne-Towler's first study deck—which effected her unique perspective on tarot.

However, these Egyptian-style Tarots didn't really go anywhere, but rather remained a neglected side-street. And there just wasn't enough information available in the 78 card Marseille deck for an as-yet-unformed 16 to 21-year old to sink his/her teeth into.

I think that the RWS/BOTA connection with the "New Thought" movement appealed to the American and hippie mentality and was an unacknowledged background for hippie spiritual exploration. The brightly-colored and optimistic, even foolhearty, RWS Fool epitomized and maybe even influenced the hippie garb and vagabond-spirit. I had a huge poster of the BOTA Fool on the wall of my university office back in the early 70s.

Just as hippies seemed to evolve from a cross between the jazz beatniks and back-to-nature travelers (Wandervogel), so the erroneous gypsy heritage of tarot spoke to the idea of taking an easy-to-carry spiritual guidebook in one's backpack (along with a guitar or harmonica) when on the road. The Fool existed in a perpetual "Happening." The RWS evoked stories and directly spoke to us—especially when stoned or tripping—in the same images and language as did the folksongs of the period! How could we resist it!

My "ex," Ed Buryn, in his early 70s hippie vagabonding books wrote about taking a tarot deck with you - as a way of making money or as a gift exchange as well as for its spiritual guidance. He used the RWS deck - and blew me away when we first met as he suggested doing a tarot reading about us before he even knew I read tarot.

More later.

Mary

Scion

Yes!

I was actually going to raise the spectre of the so-called Summer of Love, and the nascent Space Race as other thigns to consdier... both as a culturasl embrace of the nonempirical AND science's gradual embrace of the impossible. There is something larger at work underneath.

So too the advent of pop psychology and the personal growth industry, concept albums, "rejection" of the patrarchy/ERA, the Watergate conspiracy and the anti-bureacracy backlash, the mean age of the Baby Boomers...

Not to mention the Hippie love of esoteric readings of children's-book-tropes (LOTR, Alice, Puff the Magic Dragon... etc) which would have made Smith's (deceptively simple) naif illustration style seem timeless, universal, and inclusive... when in fact it's representative of a specific moment in illustration, which the Boomer's associated with "classic" kid books. In a weird way, Waite's taciturnity was PERFECT for this kind of syncretistic curiosity because the occult bits were hidden in plain sight. Mix in the vagabond lifestyle and an esoteric prop that could be slid into a hip pocket...

Then there's the Kaplan phenomenon, and the changes in publishing and marketing wrought by the "mallification" of America. The use of occult imagery by the "esoteric" glamrockers and their forebears... The self-conscious allusion to prechristian symbol and postchristian heresy. The Vietnam-Era explosion og Higher Degrees by people keeping their asses out of Southeast Asia and studying a LOT of things that weren't necessarily practical in the process. The blossoming of cross-cultural comparative mythology, for good or ill. The gradual addiction to soundbites. Growth of televised cynicism. The gradual extinction of mom-n-pop stores. The need for "folk magic" (is that what Camille Paglia calls it?)... a sort of grassroots kitchen witchery for the hoi polloi.

I'm gonna think more about this. Definitely more posts are in order, Ms. Greer! :) On here and on your blog.

S

The thing is I imagnine that the Renaissance

Teheuti

Scion said:
I was actually going to raise the spectre of the so-called Summer of Love, and the nascent Space Race as other things to consdier... both as a culturasl embrace of the nonempirical AND science's gradual embrace of the impossible. There is something larger at work underneath.

Here's a few more:
• Dark Shadows soap opera, where many of us first saw card readings, ran from 1966 to 71.
• Films of Bergman and Jodorowsky, plays by Albee, etc. that focused on dreams and archetypal symbolism
• Joseph Campbell, Eric Neumann, Jung.
• Encounter groups and Stanislavski's method acting (both using very similar techniques)
• Books like Bucke's "Cosmic Consciousness" and James Joyce's epiphanies.
• Psychadelics, Aldous Huxley, Tim Leary
• Discovering the possibilities of living synchronistically; tripping; "questing"
• Questioning authority (who do we turn to now?)
• Disenchantment with traditional religion; spiritual seeking; interest in oriental religions
• Living in a post-nuclear world (nuclear bomb drills, etc.—what future?)
• Anxiety over who would return from Viet Nam and who wouldn't
• Freedom (". . . is another word for nothing left to lose")
• The mixed unrest and hope of civil rights, the Democratic convention, the '68 Paris rebellion, sexual freedom.
• Findhorn & fairies.
• A mini-revival of interest in Theosophy (especially via Alice Bailey), spiritualism (Casadega & Lily Dale), channeling and astrology
• The incorporation of Jungian and transpersonal psychology into astrology and thence into tarot, ala Dane Rudyhar.

Not to mention the Hippie love of esoteric readings of children's-book-tropes (LOTR, Alice, Puff the Magic Dragon... etc) which would have made Smith's (deceptively simple) naif illustration style seem timeless, universal, and inclusive... when in fact it's representative of a specific moment in illustration, which the Boomer's associated with "classic" kid books.
As I mentioned before, I associate it even more with the interest in folksongs - early Joan Baez, the Incredible String Band, etc., etc. - which established a link with all kinds of folklore and folkmagic.

Then there's the Kaplan phenomenon, and the changes in publishing and marketing wrought by the "mallification" of America.
While the 1JJ deck added to the 1969 explosion, Kaplan wasn't in full swing until 1971 and after. He caught the perfect wave of something that was already underway and made it into a tsunami.

The gradual addiction to soundbites. Growth of televised cynicism.
None of us watched much television back then except for the news, Star Trek, Smothers Brothers, Laugh-In and Dark Shadows. Instead we rocked our hearts out, hung out at folkclubs or did street theatre (spontaneous "encounter" sessions).

The need for "folk magic" (is that what Camille Paglia calls it?)... a sort of grassroots kitchen witchery for the hoi polloi.
That was more of a 70s thing, though the roots were in the folkmusic of the 60s & 50s witchcraft—especially in England.

BTW, the Bio page on my blog has a picture at the bottom of the page of when I lived in London in 1970 and 71 - worked as a typsetter/graphic designer, studied theatre, attended meetings at the Astrological Lodge (Theosophical Society) and the Astrological Association, and went to the Society for Psychical Research.

Ross G Caldwell

I think '69 is a good year to pinpoint the beginning of the Tarot Renaissance.

It does have much to do with the spirit of the '60s, which appropriately reached a crescendo in 1969. And it started in America, certainly.

I can't add anything, since I'm no expert and I was only born in 1966, coming to Tarot late - 1979. Maybe I could point out that Decker and Dummett finish their account the Occult Tarot in 1970, basically because after this all the esoteric "secrets" were by then in the open, and Tarot in all its aspects (except the games aspect - that would have to wait until 1980) became the property of the world.

Maybe also the Witch's Tarot (Fergus Hall), which was featured prominently in a James Bond film, might be mentioned. At least I think it was the first time Tarot made it onto such a prominent picture on the big screen, and showed how iconic Tarot had become by then (I got into Tarot myself because of an older B-movie, "Dr. Terror's House of Horrors", in which Tarot is an essential prop for the entire plot.)

I *really* agree with your comment, Mary, about the tarot (after 1971 the RWS of course) being the vagabond hippy "bible", and its resonances with so many of the lifestyles then.

David Hulse (author of "The Key of It All" and other books) showed me a 22 trump deck he had painted himself in 1966 (IIRC), after an article in an encyclopedia, since he couldn't find a deck to buy. He was very much part of that first generation of the Tarot Renaissance.

Ross

Bernice

1969 as a 'turning point' for tarot.... yes I think this is about right. I came across tarot in 1968, but didn't do much with it until mid-1969.

I got embroiled in Astrology, but due to there being few library books about it, I ended up reading anything that mentioned planets or the zodiac - hence became familiar with Al Crowley and other esoteric writers, all of whom mentioned the tarot! (Along with Egyptians - Gypsies - Qabblah etc.).

I remember hot-pants!

Bee :)

Teheuti

Ross G Caldwell said:
and Dummett finish their account the Occult Tarot in 1970, basically because after this all the esoteric "secrets" were by then in the open, and Tarot in all its aspects (except the games aspect - that would have to wait until 1980) became the property of the world.
I ended my own timeline in 1980 because I feel the 70s were also formative. The James Bond film you mention, Live and Let Die, came out in 1973 which is why I didn't mention it. Thanks for the mention of "Dr. Terror's House of Horrors."

David Hulse (author of "The Key of It All" and other books) showed me a 22 trump deck he had painted himself in 1966 (IIRC)
I want to see it! A friend of mine did the same thing - copying the Marseille tarot on cardboard.

Mary

Ross G Caldwell

Teheuti said:
Thanks for the mention of "Dr. Terror's House of Horrors."

I hope you get a chance to see it! I can't remember the deck used... maybe the 1JJ. I'll have to buy that movie.

Re: David Allen Hulse -
I want to see it! A friend of mine did the same thing - copying the Marseille tarot on cardboard.

http://www.geocities.com/d_a_hulse/nobletarot.html

The thumbnails come up quickly, but the full pictures are slow. Interesting set of trumps, and he gives his description as well.

I'm so happy he put his cards up!

Ross

philebus

I've fond memories of watching all those Hammer and Amicus films. I have a strong feeling that Dr Terror's House of Horrors features a Marseille pack, read by the late great Peter Cushing.