Tabula Mundi Tarot: formerly Tarot "M"

Zephyros

It depends. Collectors might be more interested in the whole package, but I suspect most people would be more interested in the cards themselves. Besides, things tend to be overpackaged as it is. The PCS Centennial, for example, as lovely as it is, is really over the top in that respect. You also have all these so-called "collectors editions" which are the same product, but with a huge, wasteful package that adds nothing and is just a money grab. I don't get people who buy those, actually. The fact that it says on the package "collectors edition" doesn't mean it is, or that it isn't mass produced in the ssme way.

Postage costs are also a factor. An elaborate package can add huge sums the cost of postage, making sending the deck more expensive the the price of the deck itself.

Personally I would prefer packaging that would cut down on waste and use of resources. Even if the material is recycled, it would most probably be thrown in the trash by the average person.

daphne

It depends. Collectors might be more interested in the whole package, but I suspect most people would be more interested in the cards themselves. Besides, things tend to be overpackaged as it is. The PCS Centennial, for example, as lovely as it is, is really over the top in that respect. You also have all these so-called "collectors editions" which are the same product, but with a huge, wasteful package that adds nothing and is just a money grab. I don't get people who buy those, actually. The fact that it says on the package "collectors edition" doesn't mean it is, or that it isn't mass produced in the ssme way.

Postage costs are also a factor. An elaborate package can add huge sums the cost of postage, making sending the deck more expensive the the price of the deck itself.

Personally I would prefer packaging that would cut down on waste and use of resources. Even if the material is recycled, it would most probably be thrown in the trash by the average person.

Wonderful point of view. Totally agree!
Especially with the cutting down on waste and use of resources.

Babalon Jones

Ah, understood but elaborate is not at all what I had in mind, this is a very simple design and definitely not something that would be thrown away as it is made of wood and would add to the usefulness of the set.

And aware of postage it will fit in a flat rate box so it won't change the shipping cost due weight as costs the same either way. No matter what though even the flat rate box is expensive internationally :(

I just got a reply from one of the companies I emailed and just sent him my design ideas so *fingers crossed*.

It is ok even it doesn't happen I will still have the cards to offer even if they go out wrapped in paper. I could even offer them both ways I guess so people could choose.

daphne

It is ok even it doesn't happen I will still have the cards to offer even if they go out wrapped in paper. I could even offer them both ways I guess so people could choose.

Yes, please offer them both ways, so we can choose what suits best our interests and means.

Spiffo

Choice is good. And thank you a million times for thinking of those of us that will be relying on that international flat pack box thingie.

I really like the mini in a tin, much more than I thought I would. The tin is wearing well and it protects the cards brilliantly. I'm all for the idea you have whatever that is.

X

Ah, understood but elaborate is not at all what I had in mind, this is a very simple design and definitely not something that would be thrown away as it is made of wood and would add to the usefulness of the set.

And aware of postage it will fit in a flat rate box so it won't change the shipping cost due weight as costs the same either way. No matter what though even the flat rate box is expensive internationally :(

I just got a reply from one of the companies I emailed and just sent him my design ideas so *fingers crossed*.

Eyebright

I appreciate a good box for keeping the deck in! So many that I buy come in flimsy, oversized boxes that get crushed and are unusable after a week...so this wooden design sounds fab to me!

Fingers crossed it is feasible, as I for one, would really like it.

Babalon Jones

Well, my original design likely is not going to happen as I can't find anyone to make it. But, I am working with some box makers right now to design a wooden box that will serve the utilitarian purpose I had in mind. They are sending a prototype this week. I'll probably sell some sets with the box and some without since it will add to the cost, being a nice handmade wooden object. The wood workers seem pretty cool and easy to deal with people, and it is all made semi local to me (here in New England, at least) from sustainably grown pine and birch trees they cut themselves. I like supporting craftspeople so I hope it works out. And I hope some people want the cards with it, or else I'll be giving out empty boxes for Christmas and birthday presents to everyone for the rest of my life hahaha.

Babalon Jones

Silver foil - awesome, but worth the cost?

I am slowly making progress here, getting quotes for the printing and finishing the card back designs.

Now I am convinced I really want the attribution symbols and letters done in silver foil - that would be so awesome! :) Especially if the symbols were a teeny bit bigger than shown here.

But it costs a lot. I think for each symbol the printers have to have a die made that embosses the metal into the paper. And every card has two different symbols and none repeat until you add the minors. So a lot of up front cost and not cost effective unless several hundred made. Even then it makes them way more expensive to make, and because not as many people buy Majors sets it is a risk. What do you think of the foil? If it added cost would you want it?

I just want to make them as nice as possible, but still priced right. My art heart is set on and longs for the foil now though (bling, but subtle bling) hopefully I can make it happen if not now then maybe later with a Kickstarter or something. If the dies could be reused on the full size deck, maybe but since it is costly my only chance is to do it on the majors. And damn, I want it on my copy, lol. Since these majors only are larger sized art cards for study having the symbols catch the light would be powerful. Burn them into the cards and the brain :)

I hope you like the card back design when I finally get it done. It is a complicated design with a hidden twist and I do all my symmetries by hand not computer, with compasses and rulers so it is taking me a while. Most people would use the 'puter to make it exactly symmetrical but I like doing things the hard way I guess. Finishing that and redoing the scans is my next step.

Anyway what do you think about silver foil for the two symbols on the bottom corners here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 111

emmsma

I like the idea of silvery foil symbols on the majors only edition. It would be one more thing that makes it special, but what kind of price jump would doing this make. Would it double the cost? Or what?

I don't think (at least I don't remember) talking deck price yet...

Babalon Jones

I don't have a price yet. Still waiting for more quote info and it also depends on how many I can print. It probably would not double the selling price as I would not feel right passing all of it on and overpricing them, but it way more than doubles my cost.

Probably not the soundest business decision lol but the artist in me wants to do it anyway :)