Does anyone recognize this stone?

omshanti72

Hi, i'll start by saying what its not. It's not Chrysocolla, Malachite, Azurite, Turquoise or Shattukite.

Now here's what it could be...although it's extremely rare, just from the photo i'd say it was Ajoite in quartz but i've never seen it in a ring before. My next guess was Gem Silica which is a gem form of Chrysocolla that grows in quartz. It could also be blue Andean Opal but this mineral looks too hard. My last guess and least likely is a blue/green beryl in quartz (Aquamarine or pale Emerald).

Have a look at some pictures of Ajoite in quartz & Gem Silica.

Any idea of its country of origin?

Many blessings

omshanti72

Hi, sorry i've just read the ring is native american which makes Gem Silica more likely but I don't think its Turquoise. Do a search for american Gem Silica & not the type from Peru.

Good luck :)

Bhavana

It's a vintage Navajo ring from the 50's ... which is why I am so confused!

I suspect it's a rare kind of turquoise .... I have seen turquoise in all sorts of colors but not this one!

not necessarily rare, just unique, as many turquoise stones are. That is why I love the stone so much, because of all it's differences, depending on where it comes from!

Padma

I agree with Bhavana - as soon as I saw it, I had the gut strongly say, "turquoise". :) I have been working with crystals for a long time, and have a deep affinity for them, and I have a strong gut lol...those are my only qualifications, but I am *sure* that is what it is.

photokat

Thanks for all your helpful replies! My gut still tells me turquoise and I'm still researching.
I might need to weed through Melody's huge encyclopedia, though.

There are TONS of jewelers in my neighborhood but none I'd trust with such a stone. Most specialize on diamonds around here. I recently went to a gemologist nearby to ask about a fire opal but even that he wasn't sure about.

I suppose that this stone would be out of their league :)

linnie

Can't believe such an old thread isn't closed.... :)

Amazonite :) I just googled Amazonite + Navajo, as well, and some 1980 jewellery even came up, so one guesses it must be local or at least accessible :)