Russian Snake Tarot

nisaba

Awesome!

Tell me how it when you will recieve the package.

Well, it's just fabulous (I opened it about ten minutes ago).

The copy on the ebay photos looked as if the box in particular was quite battered - I was a little apprehensive that I was being sold used-as-new, as a result of the pic. But I quickly found out on receiving it, that the box is merely badly designed, and extremely hard to open. Careful though I was, I left claw-marks on the tongue of the box. (one point against).

The next impression I formed on my perfectly new and in fact shrink-wrapped copy was that I loved the faux-foxing around the margins of the cards. Every card has the strong teal-coloured backgrounds, and a "white" border that has been well-foxed. At first, thumbing through, you get the disappointed feeling that the foxing is identical on every card: closer examination reveals that it is very, very similar but slightly different from each card to the next, in sequence. I thoroughly approve. (three points for).

The titles are in Cyrillic only (presumably Russian rather than other related languages), a big point for, as having incomprehensible titles on foreign decks gives me a sense of the sacred and a sense of The Mysteries Through Mystery, that I just don't get with foreign decks in French, Italian, Spanish, German and other European languages where there are commonalities of root-words with English. The fact that the alphabet itself combines sounds I know (which are probably differently pronounced) with symbols that make no sound-associations at all in the same words, makes the titles more mysterious and thus more delightful than no titles at all. (about two hundred and twenty-three points for)

Okay, I'm gonna stop keeping count of fors and againsts now - no badness on the part of the deck can recover from such a positive characteristic.

That being said, the LWB was also entirely in Cyrillic script, without any translations, making it fit only for the recycling bin for many of us. Two points against, one point for (based on recycling instead of landfill).

There is no Major arcana, it is a 56-card minors-only deck, so huge kudos for the creator, single-handedly trying to balance out all those 22-card Majors-only decks! <breaks into rousing cheers and applause>.

Without language, the Court Cards are hard to pick. I'm assuming they're the ones with the stonkin'-huge single snakes in the centre of the designs. I'm choosing to read them on colour and reptilian body-language, something I know a bit about. There's even a Gay Card or Diversity Card - a Rainbow Snake, nothing like the Rainbow Serpent of this continent in feel.

We have a pentacles suit featuring pentacles, red ribbons and snakes (and, strangely, an oak-tree on one card), a Cups/bowls/goblets/chamber-pots suit, featuring Hollow Things, display cabinets, red ribbons and snakes, a Wands suit featuring snakes, red ribbons and Wands tipped with things like penis glans, hands, walking-stick-handles, bells, mace-balls, leaf-buds etc, and a Knives (Swords) suit featuring red ribbons, snakes, and lots of hand-held knives like cooking knives, stilettoes, hunting knives, daggers and the very occasional sword just for good measure (hmmm ... that last suit sounds like my living-room).

None of the cards are scenic, and none of the cards have what you might recognise as characters on them, although every single snake is different. Yet they will turn out to be compellingly easy to read! Every card is atmospheric, conveying emotions very well indeed. Reading with it is going to be a matter of reading intuitively instead of relying on the presence of images. I particularly recommend it to all intuitive readers and anyone who reads by scrying into the cards.

It's not heavily laminated (at first touch it doesn't feel laminated at all, but as you shuffle it slides too well to be unlaminated and has a low-level sheen), and it has no printer's odour at all, nice or nasty. The cards are sized to rest well in stubby little hands, but are *not* small cards, they are more taller/thinner and require the 90-degree overhand shuffling I do or the <gasp> riffling I absolutely refuse to do. The teal backgrounds that dominate every card are going to be eye-catching on a working-table, in fact, I think I'll break it in with its first real clients this coming Friday - it's Tuesday afternoon now, so it missed its chance to go to work with me today.

I just adore it. And not only because it isn't mainstream or because I like the colouration, but because it is *loaded* with character, and is just delightful.

You asked for my opinion, you got it. Now, get out there and buy it. Before we have a chance to scratch ourselves it'll be OOP, and you'll really regret not getting it right now. })

nisaba

Yes indeed - but the header on the listing says oracle....

I have other Russian decks that claim to be таро and aren't....

All horses are animals, but not all animals are horses. All Tarot are oracles, but not all oracles are Tarot.

It is proper Tarot. It's a Minors-only Tarot deck, with the Majors stripped away in the same sense that a 22-card Majors-only Tarot deck is proper Tarot with the minors stripped away. I wouldn't call it a playing card deck at all.

Falcor

I am totally not ashamed by giving in and ordering the deck. I will receive it around the middle of August. Hehe, can't wait.

Thank you for sch a detailed feedback nisaba.

nisaba

:)

It's detailed feedback from a total schmuck who can't read the language. I'm probably completely wrong about everything except the colour-scheme.

But I hope you enjoy it when you get it - I know I am enjoying it!

Laura Borealis

Thank you for the description. It really sounds fab and I love snakes, so I don't think I'm going to be able to resist it.

Yours has a LWB only, correct? It looks like it also comes with a largish guidebook. I'd rather have just the deck though. Can't read Cyrillic and it would just be excess shipping weight and expense.

Just screenshotted the one I'm looking at on eBay - big box on top, below are cards and guidebook (I'm guessing). It also seems to come with a little metal charm. But you just got the deck with LWB yes? I saw a sold listing on eBay too, which may have only been the deck, but the borders looked wider and the box was green.

Oh! I just found the name of the artist. Olga Begak.
https://www.behance.net/olgabegak

Attachments

• snake tarot box guidebook.jpg
    snake tarot box guidebook.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 195
  • green box snek tarot.JPG
    green box snek tarot.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 163

nisaba

Yeah, just a deck in a skin-tight box with a LWB. I'm well-happy with that.

DownUnderNZer

I like Snakes too and the vibrant blue color used in the background of those cards is exquisite. Very interesting deck and cards.

But...no is no. And I have said no more decks! (Will think on it at least as no harm in doing that at least :D).

Lord have mercy......

DND :)

Laura Borealis

I saw on eBay another deck with 56 cards from the same publisher. It's listed as "56 Flowers Tarot Oracle Cards" but the name translates as Tarot of Flowers. I wonder if this is the start of a trend of tarot without trumps. If so, we can look forward to many impassioned arguments as to whether a deck with no major arcana can be considered true tarot.

It's not as interesting as the Snake Tarot but it has its own charm. I like the use of a water lily for the Ace of Cups.

See attached pics -

Attachments

• Tarot of Flowers.jpg
    Tarot of Flowers.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 179
  • 56 Flowers Tarot.jpg
    56 Flowers Tarot.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 197

Falcor

I saw on eBay another deck with 56 cards from the same publisher. It's listed as "56 Flowers Tarot Oracle Cards" but the name translates as Tarot of Flowers. I wonder if this is the start of a trend of tarot without trumps. If so, we can look forward to many impassioned arguments as to whether a deck with no major arcana can be considered true tarot.

It's not as interesting as the Snake Tarot but it has its own charm. I like the use of a water lily for the Ace of Cups.

See attached pics -
A very clean work, pleasant to eyes and pretty. But yes, snakes are much more interesting.

nisaba

I wonder if this is the start of a trend of tarot without trumps. If so, we can look forward to many impassioned arguments as to whether a deck with no major arcana can be considered true tarot.

We could have the same argument vis a vis decks with no Minors, too, but I don't see anyone seriously fighting that battle. Sauce for the goose ...