new fournier deck; tarot del fuego

Terrapin

Earlier in this thread I gushed a bit about this deck. Now after having it for a couple of months I'm more reserved in my celebrating it. It's a very confusing deck. In fact, officially the hardest deck I own to actually read with. The majors are straight forward, but the minors just seem kind of nutty. I find multiple cards that imply the idea of strength against all that's being thrown at you in life, a la the 9 of wands in the RWS system. Ideas of *victory* and *self defense* come up over and over for me when looking at these various cards. Also, ideas of *defeat* seem to abound or *blinded by circumstances*. The cards radiate upheaval and craziness to me. I like this deck because it really makes you think and encourages meditation, stretching you tarot muscles. It feels chaotic and a bit neurotic to me though. I don't know. I'm not a big LWB guy nor do I feel I want to read a book about every tarot I own, but I feel like I do need something to read on this one. I want to see that it's indeed a balanced deck running the gamut of human emotion and experience, but right now I can't ignore the disorder and also the sameness of sentiment that I see in so many of the cards. Challenging and fun on my better days.

It makes the LOS Fire Tarot seem quite straightforward and easy by comparison. Probably not fair to compare the two, but the LOS does seem balanced to me even though it too deals heavily with the fire element.

Le Fanu

Yes, I can see that. It's very much a symbolism oveload - or a sense of someone's private universe but you need to know what all these things mean to them so that you can start deciphering. I also had this sense of the Majors being pretty straightforward and original but the Minors are rather chaotic. It's very much an artist's deck - he's quite well known on the circuit - but richly symbolic, not necessarily taroty though. I like it but feel I'd have to take it truly seriously and really dive in deep.

Winterchild

I really would love to know the artists thoughts on this deck... the standard Fournier LWB just seems superfluous here, having virtually no relevance at all...

I want to know more about the symbolism, all the eyes... just what on earth (or in hell) is going on in that 3 of Pentacles etcetera ad finitum...

And why is the box so hard to open!!!

feynrir

I love Ricardo Cavolo's art, I think he's a real gem. But as much as I love his art and the tarot... I can't seem to want to purchase them combined. It looks like it'd be a nightmare to read.

I so want it but I soooo don't!!

Maan

I would love a companion book written by the artist.
But in my experience so far the deck reads surprisingly easy. Only clear readings so far