College Semester Spread

AshesDreaming

This is a little spread I dreamed up one day to give me an extra edge (and to calm down nerves) on an approaching semester. I like to use it after I register for classes, and generally before I attend the classes.

*******6*******
****5*****2****
*9*****1*****7*
****4*****3****
*******8*******

1 = Overview of the coming semester.
2 = What can I expect?
3 = What will be unexpected?
4 = Finances - What do my finances look like? (...Anything I need to know about?)
5 = Roommates/Housing - What does my housing situation look like? (...Anything I need to know about?)
6-9... = These cards represent an overview of each class you will take. So draw one card per class and lay them out around the other 5 cards.

You might notice that there is no overview for health. This is done on purpose as (for me at least) finals week and the general worries of tests/classes tend to throw off the reading. Since it so focused on college life it sometimes picks that up and warns me of stressful and bleak times ahead ^_^;;

megx

Gave this spread a little try, looks like it might not be that bad!

Not going to post all my cards, but the Ace of Wands was in the overview position (which isn't half bad!).

Only thing is depending on how many classes you're taking you'll have to give the spread a little modification, and I wouldn't hesitate to add a position for "advice" to make the most of your semester. It's always good to get a warning concerning your own behavior.

AshesDreaming

Having an advice card is a good idea... but where to put it? I keep think either in the current 6th card position and then just continuing to have to cards spiral outwards or perhaps having it in a 10th card position half way between the 6th and 9th cards acting as a sort of clasp (if that makes any sense) or binding.

As a side note the current layout has the first 5 cards acting as a center (like such):

***5*****2***
******1******
***4*****3***

So that the class cards can circle around them (hence the circle can expand to fit more classes).

In any case I'll have to play with the cards a bit and see what works ^^. Though I'd love to hear any ideas for the advice placement.

megx

The advice card could be drawn last and placed over the very first, overview card. That would show the play between what to expect from the semester as well as what you can do to get the best possible outcome.

AshesDreaming

Thanks ^^. I like your idea for the advice placement. I admit I was leaning a bit toward drawing the advice card last, but was a bit hesitant on where to put it.

beachcomb

i was just thinking today about a spread for the start of the term. i'm so worried about school so i'm definally going to use this when i finally get to pick my classes.

thanks so much for sharing :D

robynleigh

Great spread! Although I am going to replace the Housing card with an advice card because I live at home :).

psychicpsycho(:

oh man I can totally dig this spread...it would be benefical for me as well to dedicate a card to how many times I will be woken up from a party in the house next door