Crowley's review of the key to the tarot

Zephyros

I don't remember who said it here, probably in one of the piece's earlier threads, but the joke was on Crowley, it seems, as he was never as successful at making money off his writing as Waite was, who did it all his life. I find that's something that's often overlooked, that while Crowley is seen as more of a showman, Waite's deck as well as his career at writing promotional copy might make him far more of a "man of the people."

Richard

I don't remember who said it here, probably in one of the piece's earlier threads, but the joke was on Crowley, it seems, as he was never as successful at making money off his writing as Waite was, who did it all his life. I find that's something that's often overlooked, that while Crowley is seen as more of a showman, Waite's deck as well as his career at writing promotional copy might make him far more of a "man of the people."

Their backgrounds were very different. Crowley came from a fairly wealthy family. Moreover, he seems to have had a poetic temperament, which is not always paired with practical considerations. On the other hand, Waite was a poor boy, forced by circumstances to work for a living.