Crow's Magick, Anyone?

dianekay

I bought the Crow's Magick deck last January. At first I liked the images but then they seemed kind of "out there" to me and I never really used the deck much. Yesterday on a whim I trimmed off those pesky little white borders and edged it in black and it looks a lot better. So now I'm interested again. Do any of you use this deck?? It's OOP now, I think. Does it read well for any of you? Do you like it?? Any thoughts? I don't see this deck mentioned much.

RiverRunsDeep

Crow's Magick is my least favorite tarot deck in my collection. I really, really wanted to love it. When I purchased it, I was looking forward to seeing the crows, the magick, and the artwork by Londa Marks. Unfortunately, I have found this to be the one deck that is completely unreadable for me. Can't put my finger on it.....the images just feel so cold and empty. I don't get any particular thoughts, feelings, or intuitive hits from them.

I know some people truly love this deck, and I'm happy to hear you are able to connect with it after trimming and edging the cards. For me, I'd be happy to sell it on to someone else.

dianekay

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about the cold empty feel. Even though it's more visually appealing to me trimmed, I'm not sure I'll be able to really read with it.

G6

Ive had a passing interest in this deck, but never took the plunge. It seems like an 80's video game vibe or something. I might get it at some point if the stars align. There was another thread somewhere about this deck. Id search for it if you want more opinions from owners.

bonebeach

I LOVE THIS DECK. I champion it constantly. It is THE deck that brought me back to tarot after years of being "meh" on RWS and clones. The art is highly stylized, yes--that is intentional. Does it kind of feel like a drunk cyberpunk street shaman adventure? Honestly, kinda yeah. If anything, I wish it was more weird. I love it. I love the choice of animals, I actively love how dated it looks, I actually find the keywords occasionally useful even if I mostly ignore them.

Is it actually OOP? I've always meant to buy a back up copy to trim. Uh oh.

I see it listed as a "dark deck" a lot of the time, and I disagree. No violence is depicted on any of the cards. However, at the same time, I see people who describe it, specifically, as a necromancer's deck...and that I absolutely agree with, though it's hard to say why. There's not a single skull or bone or anything in the deck, and yet...and yet. It is.

willowy

I love this deck,I found that having the guidebook helps,as it explains some of the decks symbolism and interpretations,some of which is unique to the artist.I like the keywords on the deck,and its vibrant style,and use of lots of birds and animals.It has somewhat of a similiar vibe to The Raven's prophecy tarot I feel.
Sad to hear it may be oop,I only brought mine earlier this year.

dianekay

Thanks for all these great comments! I've been a little on the fence about this one, but I keep going back to it, so there's obviously a connection for me.
And I really recommend the trimming and black edging, if you're so inclined. Then when you lay out the cards it looks like they're all in the same dark sky background. Very dramatic.

gregory

I'm with the love it brigade. It's very sharp. And I don't feel the need to trim it AT ALL :)

earthair

Thanks for all these great comments! I've been a little on the fence about this one, but I keep going back to it, so there's obviously a connection for me.
And I really recommend the trimming and black edging, if you're so inclined. Then when you lay out the cards it looks like they're all in the same dark sky background. Very dramatic.

But the size is so perfect, I wouldn't like to trim it. Maybe blackening the borders and then edging would work for me. I get this deck out from time to time for scrying type readings.