Book of Law Study Group 1.23

Always Wondering

Well, this seems contradictory to the last verse, doesn't it? So I think I am about to be tricked again. :eek:

Chief
1. accorded highest rank or office.
2. of greatest importance or influence.

I'm not going near 1. Someone better qualified can do that.

I think it is saying that whatever value I got out of verse 1.22 and apply to my life is of importance.
Since it could be a Binah verse I take it to emphasize understanding.
To me this means the result of coming to understand myself, dark and light, contradictory female with a bloodline to a goddess, will be great. Perhaps my Great Work.

AW

Grigori

Always Wondering said:
Well, this seems contradictory to the last verse, doesn't it? So I think I am about to be tricked again. :eek:

:D Yeah I think its another tricksy one too :D I've been struggling to think of a way to read this one.

I looked up a dictionary for "availeth" as I'm not 100% sure what that word means, that makes it different to other similar words. Turns out "availeth" is not in the dictionary, but "avail" is, so I'll work with that. The key part of the word avail seem to be to make use of something, or to derive benefit from it. So the word availeth seems to suggest a practical application.

The philosophy is to make no distinction between things (with false names or creating groups that are irrelevent) but the application of the philosphy leads to being "chief of all".

But then what does it mean to be chief of all? Maybe its a reference to Pan, or Nuit, or some other representation of the All. Applying the philosophy leads to being a chief (or understanding?) the all. Union with Nuit?

Or maybe it could mean that by letting go of the distinctions of naming things, you're no longer ruled by the names. If you give up assigning meaning based on differences, then you're simply no longer plagued by difference?

Always Wondering

similia said:
But then what does it mean to be chief of all? Maybe its a reference to Pan, or Nuit, or some other representation of the All. Applying the philosophy leads to being a chief (or understanding?) the all. Union with Nuit?

The chief of reason? Will?

But if 21 was a Kether verse, 22 Chokmah, and 23 Biniah we do have the Supernal Triad. The final goal of all spiritual techniques?

similia said:
Or maybe it could mean that by letting go of the distinctions of naming things, you're no longer ruled by the names. If you give up assigning meaning based on differences, then you're simply no longer plagued by difference?

I like this. This could be names, old ideas, anything that divides us, either from each other or within ourselves.

AW

Grigori

Always Wondering said:
The chief of reason? Will?

But if 21 was a Kether verse, 22 Chokmah, and 23 Biniah we do have the Supernal Triad. The final goal of all spiritual techniques?

I'm not sure, but it makes sense to see this verse as a Binah verse to me as well. Binah being the receptive mother, Babylon, even Saturn the limits of the world contained within its border. It fits with the "all" reference, at least to me.

I like this. This could be names, old ideas, anything that divides us, either from each other or within ourselves.

Yes thats what I think also. Whatever the things that divide, if you remove them, your not ruled by them anymore. I think this is the meaning that most resonates with me. Not chief as in "ruler", but chief as in "not-ruled". A free independant star :D

cardlady22

chief- main, cardinal, prime; essential, indispensable

Doesn't this term also relate to heraldry? Like flags and shields? Even though there are many components and so-called "secondary" parts, It is the "whole" that is instantly recognizable . . . carrying all connotations and feelings attached to the knight, family or country being represented.

Always Wondering

Yes. Heraldry, banners and Shields smack of initiation to me and I suspect this verse is also referring to the highly initiated.

I haven't quite got my head around the whole secret chief thing. The best I can do is provide a brief explanation and a link. Reading Crowley's comments seem to make me more confused. But here is a basic explanation.

wikipedia said:
The Secret Chiefs are said to be transcendent cosmic authorities responsible for the operation and moral calibre of the cosmos, or for overseeing the operations of an esoteric organization that manifests outwardly in the form of a magical order or lodge system. Their names and descriptions have varied through time, dependent upon those who reflect their experience of contact with them.

I have read others comment that Aiwass is/was a secret cheif but also Crowley's HGA. Whether this is the same or seperate meaning I have no clue. I will try to get some reading in, but it's tax season. :bugeyed:

http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.php/Secret_Chiefs

AW

cardlady22

availing?

in this

Does this phrase refer to the admonition in the previous verse?

For some reason, I keep thinking of the Highland clans in their kilts at a gathering. Doesn't one particular clan "host" the others?

Always Wondering

Commentary Spoiler Alert

Well, since Aeon418 does not availeth himself to us for this verse with his study and insight, :( I broke down and read James A. Eshelman's commentary.

He thought the word availeth was odd also.

James Eshelman said:
The word “avail” has never received adequate attention here. Despite my knowledge of language, I long contextually accepted it essentially to mean, “succeed.” I think others read it that way also. But it has no such meaning. It is used here intransitively, and means, “to be of use, value, or advantage; to serve.” Its root means, “to be strong,” and gives such secondary ideas of “value, worth,” etc. The meaning here is not only “whoso is thus strong,” but especially, “whoso thus serves.” It is an unusual usage of the word “avail.” The closest contemporary use is probably, “whoso maketh himself or herself thus available.”

And I think I found the trick we were suspecting.

"The words “chief of all” may be read “Chief of AL.” It is a kind of appointment. It also veils another meaning, declared in the final point of the [—] ritual." James Eshelman, also.

So I am thinking along the lines that it suggests if we read and apply Liber AL vel Legis to our lives we will be of the highest service to both ourselves and others? Which is the same as serving Nuit? We appoint ourselves to a higher standard? Still kicking it around. It seems stronger than a suggestion. A call? Nuit, or more succinctly, HGA is calling on us to read the BoL and act accordingly?

Looked through my Handbook of Rituals of Thelema and suspect he means Liber Samekh, for attainment of Knowledge and Conversation.

AW

Aeon418

The previous verse speaks of difference being made between things and the hurt that arrises because of this. Difference is a characteristic of the plane of Yetzirah, with it's multiplicity of separate "things". But Nuit calls to us to rise above this mental/intellectual level of awaremess into the higher realm of Briatic, unitary consciousness. The Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel.

But whoso availeth in this, let him be the chief of all!

On the surface this verse reads like a plain, straight forward statement. Who succeeds in this is number 1. Or maybe unified?

To me "chief of all" suggests the point within the circle. The chief is the central point. The all is the surrounding circle. And that gives us the glyph of the Sun - HGA.

A few of the words stick out to me for various reasons.
Transliterated into Hebrew the word "all" adds up to 61, which is AIN. All is everything and nothing at the same time. 0=2 again.

whoso availeth in this
For some bizarre reason I keep reading "whoso" as a name. Transliterated into Hebrew it's value is 211. The same value as ARI, the Lion. That's another Tiphareth/HGA symbol.