Choosing Crystals for my Tarot Decks

MacMorrighan

Hey guys, like a lot of Tarot Readers, I like to keep a crystal of some significance with my tarot cards within my hand-sewn lined draw-string bag. Now, with my first tarot (and Primary) deck, Lo Scarabeo's "Ancient Italian Tarot", it was easy: a quartz crystal (being magically variable) and an owl feather that was gifted to me from a dear friend (I have three animal helper-spirits: Snake, Owl, and Spider!). Now, it it my other two decks that are causing me a bit of crystal-consternation: Tarot of the Old Path, which is culturally significant to British Traditional-influenced Witches (I keep a segment of shed snake skin with this deck indicating spiritual rebirth and growth), and Wizards Tarot (the artwork is so gorgeous, although I believe some of the Majors are a bit...."off" for me).

So, I'm curious how others might decide what crystals they keep with their decks, and why? I am also open to suggestions as to what other crystals might "vibrate" with these particular decks.

Take Care,
Wade

RiverRunsDeep

Mostly, I like to pair my decks with a crystal that matches its "personality". I just posted this in another thread recently, but anyway... I keep a lovely heart-shaped rose quartz with my Crystal Visions tarot to complement its feminine vibe. I keep a large chunk of dark blue sodalite with my Bohemian Gothic deck because it seems to match its moody, mysterious qualities. And my Dame Darcy Mermaid deck has a piece of yellowish-brown agate that reminds me of a sandy beach.

It's difficult to describe "how" I match the personality of a crystal with a deck; I just know it's the right crystal when I see it.

Sometimes, I will choose a piece of clear quartz as an all-purpose crystal to enhance the "energies" of a deck. And if I'm using a deck for dream work, meditation, or divination, my favorite crystal pairings are amethyst, lapis lazuli, and sodalite.

Rinoa

I actually made a post about choosing crystals for tarot and oracle decks so I'm very curious about the same thing! The decks that currently sit on my altar have crystals resting on top of them. A few of my bagged/boxed decks have crystals paired with them as well.

The Wild Unknown - I'd done some serious crystal shopping on that new moon. There were so many new and beautiful stones in my collection. For some reason I had assumed that TWU wanted obsidian (mainly because I'd been envisioning a black stone and obsidian's properties seem to mesh well with the concept of the deck.) However when I placed obsidian on top of the deck it felt... wrong. I can't explain it. It just didn't "fit."I was really surprised. I looked at the box containing my crystals and for some reason this small piece of black tourmaline jumped out at me. I knew it was right and without even thinking about the crystal, it's properties, or anything like that, I placed it on top of my deck. They have been inseparable ever since.

Kuan Yin Oracle - For this deck I originally thinking green Aventurine but once I started working with it I knew that it wanted Rose Quartz. The slab that rests on top of this deck resembles the shape of a mountain.. It's reflective of history and lore of Kuan Yin as well as my personal meditations.

The Druidcraft Tarot - I actually wrestled with this one more than my others. In the end I have gone with Lapis Lazuli (though amethyst chevron, smoky quarrtz, and carnelian rest near it.)

The Wild Kuan Yin Oracle - Malachite. Instantly just knew it was malachite. A small piece rests inside the box with this deck

Decks that I am still trying to figure out:

The Starchild Tarot - I am thinking natural citrine or quartz of some kind. Due to the lore I'm also considering a lemurian or record keeper crystal. I feel like I'm going to start working intensely with this deck but I'm in no rush to find it's companion stone. I think it'll happen organically.

The Journey to Egypt - Haven't worked with it nearly enough to get a sense of what it needs. Perhaps after more bonding I'll have some idea.

Earthly Souls & Spirits Oracle - I love this deck so much! I'm thinking moonstone and will likely try pairing them.

TWU Animal Spirit Oracle - Can't wait to get this deck on Friday! No idea about crystals yet as I haven't held or gone through the cards.

A bit of everything comes into play when pairing my decks with stones There is a combination of things like crystal knowledge, deck/mythos/symbolism, energies I'm trying to amplify or bring in, or strong energies I'm trying to balance. All these different ingredients come together and sometimes I think I've invented the perfect recipe... only to alter it at the last minute! I guess the main thing is that it feels right. I'm not sure how to translate that though.

I wish I could offer a more personal suggestion for your decks but I do not own them. One thing that might be particularly helpful is doing a New Deck Interview spread (I use the one FireRaven created.) Sometimes you can get a real sense of a deck's personality from it. I like to look at position #5 (How can I best learn from and collaborate with you?) and strengths and weaknesses. Depending on the your deck/spread you might choose a crystal that amplifies of balances those energies.

Blessings~

DaughterOfDanu

I actually made a post about choosing crystals for tarot and oracle decks so I'm very curious about the same thing! The decks that currently sit on my altar have crystals resting on top of them. A few of my bagged/boxed decks have crystals paired with them as well.

The Wild Unknown - I'd done some serious crystal shopping on that new moon. There were so many new and beautiful stones in my collection. For some reason I had assumed that TWU wanted obsidian (mainly because I'd been envisioning a black stone and obsidian's properties seem to mesh well with the concept of the deck.) However when I placed obsidian on top of the deck it felt... wrong. I can't explain it. It just didn't "fit."I was really surprised. I looked at the box containing my crystals and for some reason this small piece of black tourmaline jumped out at me. I knew it was right and without even thinking about the crystal, it's properties, or anything like that, I placed it on top of my deck. They have been inseparable ever since.

TWU Animal Spirit Oracle - Can't wait to get this deck on Friday! No idea about crystals yet as I haven't held or gone through the cards.

I found drawn to pair my TWU with selenite. It didn't seem to really fit with any other crystals in my collection but after a friend shuffled them rather roughly while very emotional I realized how much of a working deck it had become for me. Selenite never needs to be cleansed or charged and cleanses/charges other crystals and decks so it seemed like the best thing to keep with it. Simple, yet very effective. Much like how I see the deck itself :)

For the Animal Spirit Oracle I immediately wanted to include tigerseye with my deck :p May just be because of the name, but I also feel its protective and grounding energies will be a nice match.

Redfaery

I really like this thread; I want to hear more about pairing decks with different crystals.

I only have one deck that's been given the "royal treatment," and that's my Shadowscapes deck. It's wrapped in a soft cotton hankie and kept with a citrine and two special talismans in a handmade red polysatin bag.

amandasargeant

Crystal/tarot pairing

I absolutely love to see that someone else does this other than me! My Starchild Akashic sits in it's box, lid open with a piece of raw peach selenite slab, a rose quartz wand, a small smokey quartz, a small selenite tumble, an apothecary herb blend, and an amethyst. I just "felt" that these crystal babies belonged to this deck!

Mostly, I like to pair my decks with a crystal that matches its "personality". I just posted this in another thread recently, but anyway... I keep a lovely heart-shaped rose quartz with my Crystal Visions tarot to complement its feminine vibe. I keep a large chunk of dark blue sodalite with my Bohemian Gothic deck because it seems to match its moody, mysterious qualities. And my Dame Darcy Mermaid deck has a piece of yellowish-brown agate that reminds me of a sandy beach.

It's difficult to describe "how" I match the personality of a crystal with a deck; I just know it's the right crystal when I see it.

Sometimes, I will choose a piece of clear quartz as an all-purpose crystal to enhance the "energies" of a deck. And if I'm using a deck for dream work, meditation, or divination, my favorite crystal pairings are amethyst, lapis lazuli, and sodalite.