10 of Cups

firecatpickles

The Ten of Cups shows what appears to be a family rejoicing in the frivolity of total happiness. What catches my attention is that the pair of children, and the pair of adults, are wearing clothes in the same colors. Is this symbolic of a completion of their lives' journeys together?

What does the color red symbolize in the bakground -the roof of the house? Is this symbolic of the past sacrifice that made the present possible? Is the sanguine river flowing in the distance also a key to this?

The Ten of Cups is not only about "Happiness," but about the achievement that is possible in this card's parallel, the Sun, whose number, 19, reduces to the number 10.

Any thoughts?

tink27

Some thoughts

I'd just like to add that a rainbow is composed of water. Light shining through it gives us the spectrum effect - the different rays of color. The rainbow is univerally a symbol of happiness joy and attainment. It usually comes after a storm or rain or after some emotional upheaval.

Red is a color of action of jumping into the thick of things and then wondering how we got into such a pickle! Red is tireless, fun, inspired and powerful. (Isn't red associated with the #9?)

When in the shadows, red can be fluctuate with fears and worries. It can make us irritable, hasty and with a fiery temper. So psychologically speaking, red can attract and repel.

tink

Skydancer

My feeling about this card is that yes, it shows completion - life cycle, rich family rewards - but it is also 'over the top.' How many idyllic families do you know like this? Isn't everything just a little bit too pretty? And is that a crow on the roof? I've been meaning to look into that. It's on the top left.

I think it shows completion, but also a dream; an unrealistic expectation that may need to be addressed.

S:OL

brenmck

I remember the first time I saw this card I felt it represented a demonstration of gratitude - the family has all it needs/wants at the moment, presumably, and they are together appreciating a very simple phenomenon of nature and taking great joy in it. They'll return to their dysfunctions soon enough, but the moment was not missed.

~brenmck~

squeakmo9

kilts_knave said:
The Ten of Cups is not only about "Happiness," but about the achievement that is possible in this card's parallel, the Sun, whose number, 19, reduces to the number 10.

Any thoughts?

I never thought about relating this "wish/happily ever after" card to the Sun. I assumed that this card was about the perfect life scenerio, seeing it as a general thumbs up. I like how you brought it into assoication with The Sun Kilts_Knave. In that sense, I would agree and say their "happiness" is not for nothing and that there had to be sacrifice or an experience of turmoil to fully appreciate their present position.

Little Baron

I cannot see the crow.

Is it just me?

LB

squeakmo9

LittleBuddha said:
I cannot see the crow.

Is it just me?

LB

I can't see the crow either...I thought that was a chimney on the roof?

Skydancer

Oh I should have checked first. *oops* Mia culpa.

I'm thinking of the 6 of cups in the Robin Wood -- Seems like a black something and a white something up on the roof, to the left of the chimney.

Ok - I've got the right deck out now. I tend to think of this card as maybe a happily ever after, much deserved, or ... they are looking at a painting of one (could be), and embracing it, or wishing for it.

So - is it a real culmination? Or a dream, a fantasy. A wish, a reward - or over the top?
Depends on the reading. (Doesn't every thing?!)

S:OL

Little Baron

Haha. Thanks Skydancer. I was really staring at the card, thinking I was going mad for not being able to see it, lol.

LB

firecatpickles

This reminds me of being a child, and my mother trying for weeks to get me to taste her grapefruit. I finally relent, and after a minute of puckering sour face, she giggles and says, "Oh, I forgot to put sugar on it!"

I never ate grapefruit again.

KK