path of the flaming sword (or lightening)

isthmus nekoi

Are there any good Kabbalistic or Qabalistic books that discuss this concept in depth? Is it in any way related to the flaming sword (that turns in all directions) in Genesis?

I read Kaplan's commentary about lightening in the Sefer Yetzirah 1:6, but it doesn't sound like these are the same thing.

jmd

I'm not sure the "path of the flaming sword" antedates the Golden Dawn - perhaps it does, but even if so, doubt it will have much exegeted detail. I could be entirely incorrect there, but nothing jumps to mind (though it could simply be poor memory and/or poor past reading on my part).

There are three aspects to this time that come to mind. The first (and most obvious) is of course the Genesis account where the 'way of the Tree of Life' is guarded and kept by the angelic being who guards it with a flaming sword that turns in all ways.

The second and third ways derive from the Golden Dawn: the second is as another name for the 'Lightening FLash', basically delineating the order of emanation upon the Kircher version of the Tree of Life; and the third in some manner relates to GD derivatives that specifically calls the 'path' between Gedulah (Hesed) and Geburah (Pahad) by that name - also mentioning thereon that it indicates a creative impulse.

Given your own apparent past interest, I would perhaps suggest that this last be the most apt in the context.

isthmus nekoi

Thanks jmd! To offer my own confirmation, I can't find mention of the flaming sword path in any of the indexes of my Kabbalah texts (although to be sure, what I do have is probably not nearly as extensive as what you've read!) and most of the websites that do use the term are clearly Qabalistic. Perhaps the GD derived the term from the Genesis story.

kwaw

IN Mathers translation of Kabbalah Denudata:

675. And when that GBVRH, Geburah , Strength, commenceth ( to be manifested ), all the severities radiate thence, and are sharpened, until they descend in the form of a swift, whirling fire-flaming sword (Gen. iii. 24.) 676.

A brief search of Kabbalah Centers Zohar for example there is:

I.21 - 197. And the "spirit" means slaughtering by the sword. Because the tempest storm is a flaming, whetted (sharp) sword. As it is written, "and the bright blade of a revolving sword" (Beresheet 3:24). And this is also called the spirit. So this is the punishment for whoever transgresses the precepts of the Torah. Because it appears after the "fear" that is CALLED the Beginning (Heb. Resheet) and includes everything. BECAUSE AFTER THE TERM "BEGINNING," WHICH MEANS "FEAR," IT IS WRITTEN, "WITHOUT FORM AND VOID AND DARKNESS...AND THE SPIRIT" (BERESHEET 1:1-2). THESE ARE THE FOUR PENALTIES OF DEATH. From here onward, come the rest of the precepts of the Torah.

22 Ekev 2 - 26. He said to us: "Let not him that girds on his harness boast himself as he that takes it off" (I Melachim 20:11). It has been explained, regarding the reading of the Sh'ma, that whoever recites the reading of Sh'ma by his bedside is as if he holds a double-edged sword, as it is written: "The high praises of Hashem are in their throats, and a two-edged sword in their hand" (Tehilim 149:6). The waving of the sword needs to be done to the six directions, WHICH ARE CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET, NETZACH, HOD AND YESOD, as was explained, in order to make Him reign over the heavens, the earth, and the four corners of the world, WHICH ARE THE SIX DIRECTIONS. This Vav OF YUD HEI VAV HEI, THAT IS ZEIR ANPIN, is the body of the sword, and Yud OF YUD HEI VAV HEI IS the top of the sword. The two Hei's OF YUD HEI VAV HEI are the two edges OF THE SWORD. The sheath of the sword IS THE NAME Adonai, NAMELY MALCHUT.

The waving of the sword in six directions WHICH ARE CHESED, GVURAH, TIFERET, NETZACH, HOD AND YESOD,

describes at least part of the lightning path between Chesed and Yesod according to the commentary.

http://www.kabbalah.com/k/index.php...n=ZmxhbWluZyBzd29yZA==&where=verses&sort=rate

Kwaw

isthmus nekoi

kwaw, thanks for the link. I wonder if the Qabalistic flaming sword concept was derived from these older texts or if they are unrelated? It seems the Q concept traces a path from Kether to Malkuth in one direction, hence the idea of the lightening bolt. But then again, as mentioned, there is the path between Gedulah-Gevurah...