Cards that stand out.

Aeon418

I think it's time to inject a little bit of common sense into this discussion ?

The Hexagram card is not a part of the Thoth deck. It's just a freebie card that brings the total number of cards up to 80. Including it in a reading would be no different than if you included the O.T.O. card as well. Leave it in the box.

Lillie

Aeon418 said:
I think it's time to inject a little bit of common sense into this discussion ?

The Hexagram card is not a part of the Thoth deck. It's just a freebie card that brings the total number of cards up to 80. Including it in a reading would be no different than if you included the O.T.O. card as well. Leave it in the box.

Well. I don't know about common sense.
It's part of my thoth deck, and I like it.
I use it. and on the rare occassions it comes up then it means something to me.

But this is personal. It is something I do with my deck. No one else has to do it if they don't want too.

By the same token, if someone wanted to use all 3 magus cards that come with some decks, there is nothing to stop them doing that.
Just as there is nothing to stop someone else taking out the death card and not using it because they don't like it.
Etc.

I won't leave mine in the box, but what anyone else wants to do is up to them.

Aeon418

Yeah but it's kinda like playing poker with a regular deck of playing cards and failing to remove the the rules of Bridge card first. I guess it's just bad luck if your dealt that card. You've lost your money.

Why not go the the whole hog and include a few Pokemon cards or baseball trading cards while your at it. :D

Lillie

Clearly I disagree.

Nor do I like the suggestion that if I use this card I am stupid.

It came with my deck, it has a personal meaning for me. I use it.

There were no pokemon cards in my Thoth deck when I got it, nor would I put any with it.
Neither does it have bridge rules on it.

It is a magickal symbol that had meaning for Crowley and has meaning for me (though not necessarily the same one).
It is also very nice to look at.

I have never said that someone using the Thoth deck should use the hex, I have only said that I do, as well as why and how, should anyone wish to do likewise.

I don't see anything wrong with that and I don't see why you have a problem with it.

Aeon418

Lillie said:
Nor do I like the suggestion that if I use this card I am stupid.

Huh ? Which suggestion of stupidity are you referring to ? I made no such suggestion. Of course if you wish to interpret my post in that way, that's your business. Lighten up eh ?

Dean

U.k

Sorry to break you pair up,
but someone at too :) I personally dont think it's a problem if someone chooses to use the Hex or not, i think some people may not like the look of the card because it can look abit sinister, but i have always liked the Hex in the deck and i've used this card in many readings, and i have always had very interesting feed back from those who wanted this card. I think it's up to the other persons choice on having the Hex card, and to be honest i dont think it's a problem use it or dont use it.

Dwaas

I like the hexagram card very much. Whether it was meant to be with the other cards or not, I find it beautiful and leave it in the box with the other cards and I like to look at it. It makes the deck complete somehow. Which is of course a very personal opinion! (in this specific thread I feel it is best to be very precautious :D) But I never use the hexagram card active for reading. Then I just take it away and it waits next to the spread untill to be re-united with the other cards. And so it is passively part of the reading. Aaaaah Thoth! Just love rambling over this deck and all its aspects.
:)
Blessings

ShekinahMoon

I think it all depends on the purpose of the reading. If the reading is used in connection with a magickal rite especially a High Magick rite then keeping the card in the deck would make perfect sense.

If someone is doing a strictly Major and Minor Arcana reading then the card may be out of place.

When I think about why the members of the Golden Dawn designed their own decks as part of their training I can see how including this card reflects that tradition.