The Emperor

Alobar

Re: Re: The Emperor

rom said:
look at this simbol a cross below a triangle: 4

yes, that does look like a '4', and that's quite appropriate for the Emperor.
but Crowley's intention for having Lady Frieda depict him in this particular pose was to symbolise sulpher.

from the 'Book of Thoth' (page 77)...
"The Emperor is also one of the more important alchemical cards; with Atu II and III, he makes up the triad: Sulpher, Mercury, Salt. His arms and head form an upright triangle; below, crossed legs represent the Cross. This figure is the alchemical symbol of Sulpher (see Atu X). Sulpher is the male fiery energy of the Universe... "

no no no it is not from to tipheret but from nezach[ eternity] [7] to yesod [foundation][9] This is a major break from earlier tradition [linking the emperor with TZADIKand not with HE]. However in the book of thot crowley "makes a mistake" in the decription [ I thing it is a mine put there for beginers only, and for others to defuse]:
"His authority is derived from Chokmah, the creative Wisdom, the Word, and is exerted upon Tiphareth, the organized man."

i think that this 'deliberate blind' arguement is pushed too far in many arguements, certainly those regarding Crowley.
S.L Macgregor Mathers was notorious for doing this to keep vital information from the "uninitiated". but in fact AC seems to have tried to undo alot of these misdirections.

from 'An Introduction to the Golden Dawn Tarot' by Robert Wang (page 22), regarding this exact subject...
"... But Crowley was essentially a rational man who, while maintaining the essence of some of his oaths of secrecy about the Golden Dawn, seems to have felt great righteous indignation about those who purposely distorted high principles under any circumstances."

an admirable trait, to be sure. especially from a man of AC's moral character!
in any case, one of the reasons i love this deck is exactly that i believe he felt it to be his 'magnum opus', as it were, and i think his research and the way it is applied to this deck are genuine. no 'mines' are necessary here, or tolerable!

as far as the sephira, you may have misunderstood me, and i probably wasn't clear on this.
yes, i agree that the 'authority' of the Emperor is divinely inspired, and must therefore originate from Chokmah. and yes, according to Crowley, the path of the Emperor is switched with that more commonly associated with the Star (tzaddi), and does indeed connect to Netzach.
however, in the painting the Emperor is bathed in the rays of the Sun, which is most definitely Tiphareth!
my interpretation of this is that the Emperor is (of course) mortal, and therefore unable to relate directly to Chokmah (or anything from the Supernal!). this 'power' is focussed on him through Tiphareth (the Sun) by way of Netzach (Victory).
i think that had Crowley meant for Netzach to have a more significant role in the interpretation of this card then we would have seen something representing this... Nike, or a crown of laurels, or something. he certainly wasn't shy about symbolism.
but what we DO have is a card that is absolutely inundated with the rays of the Sun. and this cannot be coincidence!

A wonderful experience please tell more

okay then, i will!
but i'm totally wiped out from my waterfall trip, so it will have to wait for another day (and a different forum).
i'll try to post something soon. it was an incredible experience for all involved.

and thanks for the discussion!

Alobar

boy, can i kill a thread or what?

isthmus nekoi

Pls don't feel bad Alobar - it's great to have someone who knows a thing or two about kaballah posting. I've been following w/much interest, but don't have anything kaballistic to add!

But alchemisitically (sorry, I know that's not a word), Sulphur represents the solar father, Mercury the lunar mother, and Salt the child which unites the masculine acid and the feminine alkaline. The gender associations are pretty loose though- Mercury is a male god afterall, and Crowley writes in the book of Thoth that the Empress represents salt.

Alobar

isthmus nekoi said:
But alchemisitically (sorry, I know that's not a word), Sulphur represents the solar father, Mercury the lunar mother, and Salt the child which unites the masculine acid and the feminine alkaline. The gender associations are pretty loose though- Mercury is a male god afterall, and Crowley writes in the book of Thoth that the Empress represents salt.

no, that makes sense.
mercury is also called quick-silver, and silver is a feminine correspondence. and something as malleable as mercury would never do to represent the Emperor, i think.

however, now i have to 'make a long arm' for my Book of Thoth to check his reasoning for that Empress reference, as that does seem a strange correspondence (grabs his Wang on the way!).