Gone and bought it!

Emily

I've also got the mini Thoth deck that is in Susan Levitts 'Complete Tarot Kit'. Even with it being so small all the detail is there, the cards don't lose anything from being smaller and the colouring is as vibrant and clear as my other standard sized Thoth in the lavender box.
After using the Thoth deck for a while, I don't actually think of Crowley when I see the cards, all I see is the work and dedication that Lady Freida Harris put into them :)
(But I still get bad vibes off my large sickly green Thoth lol )

Alobar

Emily said:
After using the Thoth deck for a while, I don't actually think of Crowley when I see the cards, all I see is the work and dedication that Lady Freida Harris put into them :)

Hallelujah! :cool:

MystiqueMoonlight

Emily said:
(But I still get bad vibes off my large sickly green Thoth lol )

Does that mean you are dismissing the work and dedication of a life time of study?

Little Baron

I have a thoth deck but not sure which it is. I know it is not the one with the 3 magus's and it is not the large green one, so it must be the other. I don't get any bad vibes from this version; see it as quite sunny actually. Because of this, does anybody have any links to sites where the green one and my own one are compared as i would really like to see the differences.

Best wishes

Yaboot

Mimers

Hi Yaboot,

I got mine in a shop that had a copy of all their decks open so you could check them out.I was able to look at both of them to make sure I got the one with out the green.

The large one with out the green is published by AGMuller. This is most likely the one you have. The other large deck with the green tinge is by US Games. Imagine if you will, looking at your deck through light green stained glass. That is what the one by US Games looks like.

US Games also puts out a small version of the Thoth in a lavender colored box. This does not have the green tinge either.

I have to say that I am very glad I purhased the Thoth deck. It speeks volumes to me.

Mimi

Alobar

the greenish one doesn't really bother me much, until i see it laid down next to the Swiss printing... then it's very obvious!

the easiest way to tell them apart is by looking at the backs. the 'clear' ones have a grayish border around the edge, while the green ones do not.

Emily

No MystiqueMoonlight,
I know that without Crowley these cards wouldn't exist, they are his thoughts, his inspiration but painted by the hand of Lady Frieda, I've tried to read various works by Crowley, The book of Thoth for one and they are all hard reads, he was a very complicated, intelligent and learned man but his writing goes way over the top of my head but when I work with the deck its different, the cards have a language all of their own, its taken me a while to get used to them but I don't actually think of Crowley when I use them, the artwork seems feminine. Well its just my take on them...

Centaur

I agree Emily. Ofcourse, Crowley had input into these cards. They ARE his. But I do not think of him when I am using them. Rather like when I use my Hanson-Roberts deck I do not think about Mary Hanson-Roberts (kinky!), or Rider-Waite, who's work they are based upon.

In my case, the cards are used as a stimulus to open up my intuitive reading skills. The images are highly important! And the lady who drew these was obviously a very talented individual, as these images spur intuition like the heat of Summer spurs flames in a forest.

:)

C

MystiqueMoonlight

This is not aimed at any one individual or said with any course of ill intent or insult :)

It seems that many people, and that includes people who are not invloved in this study group, or a member of Aeclectic focus on the influence of Lady Harris' artwork and the fact that she painted them as the deciding influence of the Thoth Deck.

Remember Crowley discounted many versions of each card Harris painted until she produced each one the way HE visualised them. Harris was not given artistic licence to paint the cards the way she wanted them to look.

Of course I am not doubting her talent as an artist, but I am constantly amazed at how people comment they are "thinking about Harris' influence on the deck moreover Crowley's". In reality his influence is paramount.

There is a balance in Life just as there is in Tarot. A yin and yang if you will. IMO to "see" only the yin influence or only the yang influence means you are not getting the whole picture. It's like walking down the street with blinkers over your eyes.

Whilst rumours and inuendos surround that of Crowley I would suggest that to ignore or remove ones self from his creation of the Thoth Deck is to see only half the picture. No only one quarter of the picture. Therefore when you are reading, meditating or using this deck for any other purpose you are only utilising a very small portion of it.

:)

Alobar

well, i for one would never discount Crowley's work on this deck. after all (as i have said before) this was his Magnum Opus, his life's work made manifest. if he had done NOTHING else, this deck would hold his place in occult history.
but i don't think just any old artist could have transformed his vision into what we see today. Lady Freida was special, and not only for her ability to handle AC for 5 years!
her cubist style (rather revolutionary in her day) and her grasp of sacred geometry made their union a symbiosis that WE benefit from.

deserved or not, AC carries alot of baggage that many people can't get beyond. this is a narrow vision, and an unfortunate one too. it is NOT a view that i subscribe to personally, but it is a fact.
so if someone gains access to this deck ONLY through Lady Freida, then that is a good thing in my opinion (hence my "Hallelujah!" above). the rest can come later, once their boundaries have been expanded.

the Thoth deck would have been amazing had Crowley never met Harris. but it is moreso because of their union, i think.
like the Beatles, together they were greater than the sum of their parts.
she should not be discounted either.