Rider Waite name that thingy (more symbolism hehe)

Liliana

This ones for the Page of swords. In the bottom left corner in the background theres a black "thingy", looks kind of like a lighthouse with smoke coming out to me, what is it and what does it represent? Im tryingto decide ifId like to get a Universal Waite or a Golden Rider deck, Ive read the Golden "lacks detail" but Im wondering if it cuts out some symbolism with this lack of detail. So far this is the only obvious thing thats not in the Golden Rider that is in the universal, so Im curious if its important hehe

Emily

Hi Liliana,

I'm looking at the Page of Swords in the original Rider Waite and I think its supposed to be a tree with clouds behind it. The Knight, Queen and King of Swords all have what look like tree's and clouds in the bottom left hand corner.

Malachite

Have a pic handy?

Original Destiny

yep, looks like a wind swept tree

Malachite

Think it must be a tree...It doesn't look like any tree I've ever seen, but it would tie with the rest of the sword court...

blumoon

it is definately a tree moving in the wind, the way i see the court cards is that the higher the hill they are on/the higher up in the clouds they are the more successful their ideas will be as long as they are realistic, as you can see with the knight he is moving through the wind at a hundred miles an hour, he is putting his ideas into action, the page has the ideas and asperations but is just starting to think about putting them into action

:)

Liliana

That makes sense, now I have to decide if it being missing on the Golden Rider is important enough for me not to get it, I know, Ill get a keychain Universal Waite and the GoldenRider sometime, then I can compare if needed hehe (deck collecting strikes again)

purplelady

It looks like a ship approaching with 2 dragon heads on it's mast! (or whatever you call the very front part of a ship)

Briarfoote

I believe they are wind swept trees. There are trees like that along the coast. But I do love to variety of responses. Kind of like the ol' "what do you think that cloud looks?" like game. :)