Tarot Spreads by Barbara Moore

Shade

Ok I really have to sing the praises of Barbara Moore's new book Tarot Spreads - and I'm only a few chapters in!

I've had other books on spreads and they are all page after page with 4 - 10 rectangles with numbers in them and a list that says something like "3. What opposes you."

Tarot Spreads starts by taking a higher view of the whole business of spreads and each of their components. Why does layout matter? We see various sets of blank cards in different groupings so that we can evaluate how - without even adding tarot cards into the mix - we are affected by the configuration of cards. How does a spread emphasize one card more than others? If a spread doesn't emphasize a card what will happen if the cards that show up indicate an imbalance.

A lot of tarot books discuss why we might want to understand our worldview as it pertains to tarot (largely to look at the question "Do you believe you can predict the future?"). Tarot Spreads does this but then makes the link between your personal beliefs and style and the spreads you should be using and possibly modifying so that they are a better fit for you.

Has anyone else picked up a copy yet?

Glass Owl

I was under the impression that this book was merely a book of spreads. Now, I'm really intrigued! I'm always looking for tips and ideas on how to make spreads. Are there any exercises in the book?

Shade

There are a few, mostly in the sections on modifying and creating spreads near the end of the book. I'm still going but one very simple exercise from the sections on layouts was to take three cards and put them into a few specific layouts to see how the new arrangements affected our impression of the spreads. After that you can move them around into your own configurations and see how different shapes make one card stand out or showcase a relationship between two cards.

I know I've seen a lot if threads of yours in the spreads section Glass Iwl so you are probably a lot more advanced than I am in the spread dept. I've had books like the one you describe that are spread collections but none of them spent time discussing the strengths or weaknesses of the spreads in them.

Glass Owl

There are a few, mostly in the sections on modifying and creating spreads near the end of the book. I'm still going but one very simple exercise from the sections on layouts was to take three cards and put them into a few specific layouts to see how the new arrangements affected our impression of the spreads. After that you can move them around into your own configurations and see how different shapes make one card stand out or showcase a relationship between two cards.
I do need to work on my layout configurations so an exercise like this one sounds like something that could help me out with that.

I know I've seen a lot if threads of yours in the spreads section Glass Iwl so you are probably a lot more advanced than I am in the spread dept. I've had books like the one you describe that are spread collections but none of them spent time discussing the strengths or weaknesses of the spreads in them.
While a collection of spreads is nice, I think that giving someone the tools to develop their own spreads or tweak existing ones for their own needs is really great and I'm glad that Barbara Moore seems to be approaching it from that angle. I think that this book is going on the top of my book wish list now!

desertrat

Thank you for this brief review of the book, Shade. It's been hanging out on my want list for some time, not sure if it really belonged there. But your synopsis has helped me decide. :) Feel free to expand upon your thoughts should you feel the urge. :D

MountainGirl

I have and like this book too. It has some interesting spreads, but the main benefit is really the chapters on how to design or modify your own. I haven't had time to go much into this yet, but it looks very promising.

Blessings,
MountainGirl

Shade

I don't want to go overboard in talking about techniques from the book because I do want people to buy it but for me so far the biggest takeaway has been insights into reading card relationships based on the spread. For example in discussing layouts Moore discusses "Cross" spreads which are any spreads or part of a spread when most of the cards are interpreted in relation to a central card. So for the purposes of looking at cards this way this 9 card spread would be read as a cross spread because all the outer cards are read in relation to the inner card. So for example if position 5 below means "Opposing Forces" it would be best not to just interpret card 5 on its own but how card 5 would be opposed to card 1.

__________4
_______3_____5
_____2____1____6
_______9_____7
__________8

Some people are probably thinking "Yes well.... duh!" but for me it was anew way of looking at spreads. I have always read the way cards in the way that they relate to one another especially as a progression but seeing the central card in a cross layout as more of an axis than a starting point is helpful.

I know I'm not as eloquent with words as Ms. Moore so if any of the above doesn't make sense the fault is mine.

She has a great section dissecting the Celtic Cross as a series of three card spreads. I haven't used the Celtic Cross in a long time as I think it's a bit unwieldy and has little actual flow but I'm up for trying it again.

AJ

. So for example if position 5 below means "Opposing Forces" it would be best not to just interpret card 5 on its own but how card 5 would be opposed to card 1.

__________4
_______3_____5
_____2____1____6
_______9_____7
__________8

I often think of this when reading Your Readings. I don't know where to begin to help because they just throw out some cards... and jerk across the lay, never connecting the cards relationship in any way. YOU CAN'T IGNORE THE CENTRAL ISSUE :) and you have to have an issue to understand the cards as a group.

Thanks for the review. I have a (no doubt rude) tendency to discount any Moore stuff because she is effect a staff writer for an occult publishing firm. I can see the Monday morning meeting where Moore is told, we are producing a tarot deck on geeks, get started on the companion book right away. So she does, and then purchasers wonder why the books don't have much to do with the deck art... anyway, I'm glad to hear there is some meat to be gnawed in this book.

Alpha-Omega

Tarot Spreads by Barbara Moore is fantastic - I wrote a review for it for those who wish to read it and buy the book

A star, cross, circle, square or triangle spreads comes in many shapes and sizes. The spread is the corner stone to a tarot reading, it is that very thing that makes the reading possible. Even laying out just one card is a spread, a one card spread but a spread non the less. There are numerous books that are devoted to the subject of spreads, listing spread after spread out of countless spreads. Some spreads are classic, some are created at the time of the reading, and they all can be edited, modified by each reader to suit their needs and the needs of the client when needed. Spreads are magical in that they can be created out of inspiration from anything. Seriously, anything. I saw a spread that was inspired by the cast of the Comedy Central tv show South Park. A spread can make or break the reading. A poorly designed spread could create a horrible reading as compared to a properly created spread which will allow the reading to flow with ease.

Spreads have been a issue I have contemplated over since I first picked up my cards. I went to the LWB and saw that there was something called a “celtic cross” spread. So I tried it and had no clue what I was looking at or what I was reading. what the heck does “that which is crossing you” mean?? Someone please explain? It was not till later I found out “crossing” means something which is opposing you. I wish someone would have explained that in the first place. Later on I saw other spreads like the Star Spread, the Horseshoe spread or the horoscope spread. At one point i had a collection of spreads that I printed out. But over time I found that I liked it best to create custom spreads for each client and their unique question & situation. I did that for a long time and a few years ago I shifted once more, focusing on 3 card spreads only. Using three cards fit well into my philosophy of Keeping it Simple.

I never liked putting spreads into shapes. So I would just put them in a straight line. What the heck is the point to a star or circle?? Pointless in my opinion. However lately I have been having to question my beliefs, I have been reevaluating my of my opinions for my book I am writing. Spreads have been something I had to question. I was hoping someone who write a book that would make a case for the purpose of spreads, the purpose of the shapes and give me some reason to change my mind. Give me a reason why I am wrong, show me the alternate way.

Enter “Tarot Spreads” by Barbara Moore.

Barbara does an excellent job in her latest creation. Tarot Spreads is a fantastic addition to the subject of Tarot Spreads. This book has given a lot for me to think about, it has caused the gears and cogs in my brain to turn. I can happily say that my position on spreads has been influenced and I am rethinking the subject.

Barbara says “Tarot Cards are like the subconscious mind, full of inspiration and wisdom that we didn’t know we knew. Tarot Spreads are like the conscious mind. They help organize all that glorious raw data triggered by the cards so that we can interpret it and apply it properly to the situation in question”. Which is a perfect analogy and really defines the role and purpose of the spread. It organizes the information presented by the cards in clear defined positions.

Barbara describes why the layout of the spread is important, which is something I wanted to hear. Ok Barbara what is it? Well she states that you need to think about art and graphic design and the psychology used in designs. Everything is designed with purpose. How people read either right to left or left to right. We see time as moving from Left to Right and so forth. So for example a linear line in a spread suggests time and events in a chronological order. Like the Past Present Future spread.

Barbara goes on to explain the “design principles” which is great. Here she talks about the characteristics of spreads, such as Balance, Symmetry and Spacing and others explaining their implications and influence of the spread. Ok so far she has me thinking and I am liking what I am reading.

No spread is the “end-all, be-all” as Barbara says, each spread has it’s strengths and weakness. I really liked it when Barbara talks about our assumptions, that all spreads make assumptions about that question and about the answer and she give examples of this. This gives all of us some food for thought next time we use a spread or create a spread for someone.

Barbara stresses in her book that your personal style and beliefs are what are most important when it comes to the reading and the choice of spreads. Do you believe that the future can be known? If you don’t you would not use a spread with an “outcome card” or edited a spread that has it to not include it. So you can pick up this book and will not have preaching you dogma on how you should read or what spreads you must use, rather gives you the tools to create your own or modify existing spreads.

This is not a Spread Bible or Encyclopedia on Spread, however it does have over 60 spreads which is just enough, there should be a spread for almost any situation in here for you and your clients. Yes there are other book that have more spreads but it is not quantity but rather quality which is the focus of this book. This book is better than most of the other spread books on the market. Because Barbara presents the information in a manner, much like if you were going to take a workshop on spreads where you have Barbara in front of you teaching why spreads are important, the inner workings of spreads and their purpose. Not simply throwing a bunch of spreads together and leave you to fend for yourself as is the case with most books on spreads. This is exactly what I have been looking for!

I compared Barbara’s book to other books which deal with spreads. Eight books to be exact. What I have noticed in most of the books on spreads is that it is just a collection of spreads or it is a book with a large amount of spreads in addition to quick card meanings. Other books give spreads which sample readings using the spreads. Only one book is geared towards trying to teach spreads but in my opinion it was formulated and constructed poorly so it is not user friendly. Barbara’s book really stands out as unique to the rest, there is only one other book that I own which comes close to being a true competitor, so we are looking at here a book which is above the rest in the spread category.

But this book goes beyond just listing spreads and explaining them, there is a chapter called “techniques to add to any spread”, which are little techniques to add to your readings to spice things up. Barbara also guides you through creating your own spreads. This section is not overly complicated as you might think. Barbara says that a spread can be created via inspiration in many different things like pulling out a card from your deck and creating spread from it, like The Wheel of Fortune spread. At the end she shares with us how to do a “78 card reading” which is very ambitious and I don’t think I will ever try it, but it is always good to know it is there.

There are somethings which are not in this book. There are no sample readings. You will be presented with the spreads but no follow up samples to see the spread in action. I am not sure if that is a bad thing, that is up to you. It would have been a nice addition but not having sample readings is not a huge deal in my opinion. Just be aware there are none.

There is something which I was hoping that would be in this book that is not, which is the subject of when “bad cards” appear in good positions in a spread and vice versa. This is something which I think stumps many readers. What I mean by this is , if a spread has a position called “What is good in the relationship” and The Devil comes up, how the heck is that suppose to be read? And vice versus. If you have a spread with “What is bad in the relationship” and you get The Sun how should this be viewed. I was hoping there might be tips and suggestions to deal with this issue however there is not. Maybe down the line Barbara could address this issue in a later edition to the book.

When I read a book I want to feel like the author is conversing with me as if we were face to face and I swear at one point I thought she wrote one passage just for me! The passage goes like this “there are ways to incorporate two or more decks into a reading… Do you have several versions of a favorite deck? (YES I do)… Some artists produce and sell a special edition of their deck and then a publisher will release a mass market edition.. (Yep I do, Legacy of The Divine Special edition and Mass market).. or perhaps you have a traditional RWS deck as well as one of the many variations, such as Radiant or universal. Guilty as charged, I have 17 RWS. I laughed while reading this passage.. It was a real pleasure to read this book. Barbara’s writing style was very inviting and I read it all in one day, which I normally don’t do with books. I was able to try one of the spreads listed for another fellow reader with good results.

In conclusion, Tarot Spreads by Barbara Moore is a breath of fresh air on the subject of spreads. It is a unique addition to the tarot market and will be a great addition to your tarot practice. I can honestly say that this book has giving me much to think about and I know the more I study it and apply it to my practice it will help make me a better reader. This book should be picked up by new readers in addition to a normal book on learning tarot cards meanings and basics for a well rounded introduction to tarot. Even if you have been reading tarot for years, this book can make you a better reader.

ann823

She has a great section dissecting the Celtic Cross as a series of three card spreads. I haven't used the Celtic Cross in a long time as I think it's a bit unwieldy and has little actual flow but I'm up for trying it again.

I've had trouble with the Celtic Cross as well. Dusty White has a podcast on the Celtic Cross which breaks it down and -at least for me-makes it more managable. It's here under audio lessons:

http://easytarotlessons.com/

Barbara's book is on my wish list as well.