A ribbon around a bomb.

wooden-eye

very nice I saw the biopic film FrIda with selma hayek in it was a really interesting film. nice start
It is a great movie. When I was researching the deck, I watched another Frida and Diego movie made in the 80s. It was Spanish language and pretty art-house. Its gritty lack of glamour really stuck in my head and seems to be playing a role in this deck.
Cheers MizGrace.

Laura Borealis

Yes, I will be painting the titles. I kind of need to do this all in one hit, other wise they will likely get all kinds of inconsistent. I just popped these on using a phone app. These are all just phone snaps, so the lighting is a bit off. Glad you like them Laura!

*nods* That makes total sense. I figured you wouldn't go with a computer font for the real thing. :thumbsup:

wooden-eye

Page of Cups.

She is almost finished.
It is good to have a look at the paintings in this mocked up card format; changes become really apparent. Sorry the quality is lacking on this image.
Page of Cups.
Serious and clever, Young Frida daydreams of the woman she may become.
Grounded and earthy, Grown Frida may only dream of the girl she was.
They meet in this moment of innocence and potential.

Attachments

• 20160601_095250.jpg
    20160601_095250.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 200

wooden-eye

I mentioned the Page of Cups needed work. Well I did it and now she is finished.

Attachments

• 20160603_134738.jpg
    20160603_134738.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 187

Babalon Jones

looks great! the first version did too but I see the colors are more vibrant in this one.

Laura Borealis

I really like the lotuses, especially how one seems to grow out of sleeping Frida's body.

ETA The revision is much more effective, I think. Bringing sleeping Frida out in front of the curtain of blue drippy streaks makes for a better overall composition.

Alta

I also think that the second one has the more effective colour scheme.

OnePotato

Very nice work, wooden-eye!
I'm happy to see where this is going, and particularly that you're going forward in your own design & rendering styles, rather than trying to mimic Frida's.

I'm a long-time fan of the whole circle of Khalo, Varo, and Carrington.
I expect they'd all be pleased with you.
Bravo!

wooden-eye

looks great! the first version did too but I see the colors are more vibrant in this one.

Thanks Babalon!
Color was a bit to do with the photograph. The first one was done at night and light was angle-poise and overhead.
It did need organizing a bit though.

wooden-eye

I really like the lotuses, especially how one seems to grow out of sleeping Frida's body.

ETA The revision is much more effective, I think. Bringing sleeping Frida out in front of the curtain of blue drippy streaks makes for a better overall composition.

I totally agree she was buried. It worked in the outline drawing but became claustrophobic in the painting. I had to simplify a few elements from the drawing. I am locked in battle with my natural propensity for crowding a card.
This is the drawing. I make them on paper and transpose them onto canvas in the old fashioned tracing paper and scribbling technique.

Attachments

• 20160530_171127_20160530205643319.jpg
    20160530_171127_20160530205643319.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 172