Been Naughty - Feng Shui Tarot

Little Baron

Saw this deck today and bought it. Had seen the majors before and really liked them. Wasn't sure about the minors since they all seem quite alike and follow a different system than I am used to .. but thought 'what the heck'. Really pleased with the artwork and general look .. great backs. Plan to look through them a little later.

Did a search here but couldn't find any thing of interest.

Does anyone work with this one? Havn't heard much about it here even though I am aware it has been around for quite a while.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/feng-shui/

LB

Cerulean

Read the book for the deck while taking a Feng Shui class...

and can tell you the book is a good primer.

But Feng Shui for me is something to work with really slowly and figure out how this works for me. I had bought an inexpensive mirror, wooden frame, and the teacher said quickly that it's used outside to repel negative energies. I used it to face an alley where lots of people from a local community center would turn the wrong way from our one-way street...which is fine.

The Star is the one card that I'm uncertain about. But it adds a "Western" face to me...does it look Eastern/Western to you? Top line, far right, Star:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=/images?q=feng+shui+tarot&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=

For some reason, an older actress, Carrie Fisher, came to mind:

http://carrie-fisher.imess.net/

Chinese New Year is the 29th, Year of the Dog. I sent my friend who bought a new house a few things with small directions for assisting flow of energy...but I'm waiting on sending anyone else a recommendation...except one other book on Feng Shui as a preventative and healthy way to look at oneself as a holistic system...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345379748/cinnabarswanh-20/002-6064690-7602467

The book is one that I had four copies of, but the three loaners never made it back to me. In one case, I knew the couple could not get it in Europe then, so I said they should keep it...the other two cases, I figured that it became part of their library and they needed it more than myself.

Back to the Feng Shui Tarot...I think of it as a tool to slowly gain familiarity with, as there's something strong and yet curiously appealing...but I want it to be a lifelong tool. I'm not certain how much this tarot fits with me yet, because I have an ancestral blend that takes some similar ideas, but may not quite merge with this style...if you do follow Buddhist and Taoist paths, I think Feng Shui will feel more like an extension. The teacher who taught my Feng Shui class had looked at several different schools and returned back to the one she liked best, one that draws from Chinese Buddhism...

It's taken me a few months to come to these conclusions. So do please excuse the personal background--you can tell I'm still reflecting on this deck and book.

Cerulean

Little Baron

Hey Cerulean.

Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing - the Star does look very western and it does seem a little out of place - in the same way that Asita looks in the Buddha Tarot.

I love the majors. But the minors bother me a little. There seems little to work on with the illustrations, even though they are very attractive.

Is the book worth getting to understand them?

Can this deck become a good reading deck, worthy of study?

Would be interested in your views.

LB

Cerulean

Yes, the deck is good to read with and the LWB is good...

..but if you want to delve deeper in the trigrams and why the Knights are all one element, those kept nagging my curious head and I had to buy the book.

I bought the deck and book separately because it was a dollar or two cheaper to buy them separately....first I got the deck and tried to work with it...then I decided to buy the book--discounted either through Amazon.com or half.com or abebooks, I think. I decided that I didn't need the little paper foldout or the bookcase packaging, although I've seen the complete set in the stores.

This is one set that I am satisfied with only one deck or book to try for one reading at a time....then I digest the ideas. Did you want to exchange a reading? That would probably work best this coming week...by Sunday/Monday, just to make it a fun exchange...if others have the deck, we could try a one-two reading and then later a group experiment...what do you think? I'll open a thread if you like.

Cerulean

Little Baron

Yes, Cerulean. That would be great.

I really like a lot of the illustrations but on first view, I feel the minors have thrown me a bit. Not sure if I will get much from them.

So help would be appreciated. And an exchange would be great. Feel free to open the thread.

It gives me something to aim for.

LB

Moonbow

Nice deck.

I don't have this deck but I have read a bit about Feng Shui some time ago. To understand the Minors of the deck perhaps you need to read up on the Celestial Animals. Just as I was about to go and read up in my books, I remembered that I gave them away recently.

Try searching on the net for the Celestial Animals and their meaning, perhaps that would be a good place to start.

MeeWah

Interested in this deck also, & attracted to its melding of Western & Eastern metaphysics.

Based on what I have seen of it, I think the book necessary to understand the images & the incorporation of Tarot, Feng Shui & I-Ching tri-grams. Very complex, too, for all those features encompass & the attention given the 5 elements according to Chinese thought as opposed to the 4 elements of Western tradition.

Little Baron

Thanks Moonbow. I will do that. I hope that it is not too much of a chore to be able to read with the deck. I managed to get past the differences in suits etc with the Buddha Tarot, which I am using again, so maybe it will work with this one too.

LB

Little Baron

Yes, Meewah. I think that maybe it is necessary. I was hoping that, even if it was a little different to traditional tarot, I would be able to work with just the images, but that doesn't seem too much of a possibility.

LB

Moonbow

I think a 'simple' book on Feng Shui will explain the animals and their positions, meanings, elements etc. I don't think you would have to delve too deeply to understand them, although there are five elements... Water, Wood, Fire, Earth and Metal so I'm not sure how this fits in with the suits. Sounds like an interesting study to me.