Boxes...

blackroseivy

I have a personal hatred of tuck boxes. This could be a problem. That's the only way you can get 'em from the printers, correct?

HudsonGray

No several places offer them wrapped in cellophane and nothing else. You don't need to spend the money for the box (which often doubles the cost of the print run).

blackroseivy

Yes, I know about that but I wonder if another type of box is available. I'd rather give my customers a box so that they don't lose cards or anything like that.

tarotbear

Commercial places do what is best (read: FASTEST and cheapest) for them. However, you may find a printers that will do a custom box (without the cards) separately for you either assembled or you can assemble them yourself, and then you can put your own deck and LWB in it yourself, and shrink-wrap it yourself (There are places that sell shrink-wrap supplies).

I always liked the original box for the Robin Wood - a hinged top and bottom that opened like a book. - also the way the Pixie Commemorative Set is done.

BTW - you may find (after all your hard work and blood, etc.) that many people will say they throw the box away and store their cards in bags ....

blackroseivy

Yeah, I'm weird - I keep the box and put the deck in a bag box and all. :p

tarotbear

Is it MakePlayingCards that has those metal boxes? I thought those were kind of cool. I believe they sell them separately without a deck in them ... good idea for storage purposes ... practically indestructible.

blackroseivy

Sounds pricey though!

Cenozoic

Well maybe you could create a box template that you like, then scan and resize it, and then print them out on card stock paper. You could even design something nice for it.

Card boxes seems like they use 100lb card stock (pronounced 100 pound card stock). You could use 65lb card stock for a thinner box though. Card stock can be a bit tricky to cut and fold, so use an exacto knife and a cutting mat, and then use a ruler to make clean cuts and folds. Some paper cutters/trimmers can do most of the work though. Card stock paper comes in a pack of 250 sheets, and sold for less than $20.

Sometimes card stock can be tricky to print on, so you can test out a sheet to see if it'll run through the printer properly. Some printers are designed to print on heavy weight paper, but others you could try fiddling around with. 65lb card stock would probably run through fine on most printers. And if you have an inkjet printer, make sure to leave it to dry somewhere before trying to handle it.

But if you're tight on cash, maybe buy some bristol board (or poster board). Then you could either print a design on that and cut that out into boxes, or just manually use a pencil trace a template onto the paper and cut and fold that but it won't have a pretty design on it.

blackroseivy

Thank you for the info! It all seems a bit too technical for me, I think I'm going to wind up with a very plain box indeed, haha!

Cenozoic

That's fine :) Just do whatever works best for you, and good luck with your tarot deck!