Your First Tarot Book(s)?

The Happy Squirrel

jolie, I just put "Tarot Tells the Tale" on my wish list :)

Madrigal

Tarot for Yourself by Mary Greer back in the late 80s. My mom was getting into Tarot then and she introduced me to both.

mydearruby

The book by Jane Lyle that comes with the thunder ball TdM set. It is my first deck/book I picked up in a little bookstore in Canterbury for a ridiculous dirt price ten years ago. A surprisingly good read for beginners.

kx5

1) Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom - Rachel Pollack
2) Tarot for Yourself, A Workbook for Personal Transformation - Mary K. Greer
3) Complete Book of Tarot Reversals - Mary K. Greer

rwcarter

My first book would've been the Mythic Tarot companion book as that was my first deck. I had all three Eden Gray tarot books in paperback early in my journey too.

Rodney

Richard

My first Tarot book was "The Pictorial Key to the Tarot" by A. E. Waite. I bought it about ten years before I got my first deck.

Tanga

Mine was an Eden Gray book, but I don't remember which one, now. I do remember, since I was living with my parents and tarot was verboten, I hid the paperback in plain sight among my science fiction books by simply turning it around so the spine faced in (along with a few others so it wouldn't stick out). Kind of a sneaky Seven of Swords solution :D

Lol. I like that 7 of Swords trickery.

My first book was "The Secrets of the Tarot" by Barbara G Walker.
My sister had the book and Tarot deck - and I was taking time out at her place to re-evaluate what I wanted to do with my life - kind of like a year out. (I'd just dropped out of University after year 1 - having come to the conclusion that what I'd chosen, was not for me after all.)
I liked the stark "Witch-like" feel of the Tarot deck, and her writing influenced my interest in pursuing a pagan spirituality. I went on to buy her encyclopedia of myths and secrets, and my 1st book on Wicca.
(Never knew she was a knitting queen).

:)

Wouldn't recommend it as "The 1st book" to a beginner.

Teheuti

My first book was "The Secrets of the Tarot" by Barbara G Walker.
. . .
Wouldn't recommend it as "The 1st book" to a beginner.
I know what you mean. It was an interesting "experiment" but troublesome. I tried using the deck in a few readings for others but they came out so bleak.

seedcake

"Tarot for Beginners: An Easy Guide to Understanding & Interpreting the Tarot" by P. Scott Hollander. My very first book.

aerosa1

I just got a sweet old copy of Eden Gray's "Mastering Tarot" c. 1973 -- even with shipping, it was less than $5 on amazon and arrived in very decent condition. So many of you recommended her & I look forward to reading it after I finish my current workbook.

There's just something about old books.... <3