The Story behind the K & C "Hexerey" Thoth Deck.

faunabay

zan_chan said:
Thanks, aurarcana! I love that thing :heart: It's taking all the strength in the world not to order one of these wee bold Thoths, but honestly considering I have absolutely no plan to read with Thoth in even the most unlikely of near-ish futures, I just don't need a fourth version...(right?) ..... :laugh:
I'm with you zan! We can be AA partners! Well AA tarot deck partners that is.

Because I keep trying to stay strong, then I almost cave, then I'm strong again! :D

I have plans to learn the thoth better in the future but I already have 3 thoth decks!!!! And I really don't know how to read with them yet! :bugeyed: Do I really need a 4th? No I don't!

But I love the brightly colored little thing! :p

cardlady22

I like the self-published quirks to this little thing!
Celice said:
The only thing that bothers me is the smoke smell (since I'm not a smoker) but I'm hoping "incense therapy" will help. I'll stick it in a box with my nag champa. Ugh I hope it gets rid of the smell. Any suggestions?
You might try some baking soda first. I use the fridge/freezer packs so it doesn't have to spill all over the cards.

I can't believe that I didn't smell it. :bugeyed: Usually I'm hyper allergic. Could I be growing out of some it finally?!
ETA: Of course, I've probably jinxed myself now . . . all that deep inhaling to prove to myself that I could do it. :p

Celice

cardlady22 said:
You might try some baking soda first. I use the fridge/freezer packs so it doesn't have to spill all over the cards.

I can't believe that I didn't smell it. :bugeyed: Usually I'm hyper allergic. Could I be growing out of some it finally?!
ETA: Of course, I've probably jinxed myself now . . . all that deep inhaling to prove to myself that I could do it. :p

So I just dust a little over the sides of the cards? I don't have a freezer pack just the regular kind.

I'm not sure if all the decks have the smoke since I just purchased the one.

cardlady22

Yes, but you need to seal it up for a week or two. Try a plastic container. Every couple of days, shuffle the cards & sift a new little batch in. After the baking soda has absorbed, then try your incense for scent.

ETA: Some people use a dryer sheet (but those kill my allergies)

photokat

Celice said:
Hmm mine smell like cigarette smoke, anyone else?

Huh, that's odd?

I'm not a smoker and those cards were printed and sealed a long time ago, are you sure you are smelling cigarettes?

But if they DO smell strange, you can air them out and box them up with some lavender or do the kitty litter trick.

I have a very fine nose (especially allergic to the smell of cigarettes) so I am wondering how I didn't pick up on that.

Added : I just took a good sniff of my cards (I keep my opened deck in a ziploc) and they don't smell like anything really.

Celice

photokat said:
I have a very fine nose (especially allergic to the smell of cigarettes) so I am wondering how I didn't pick up on that.

I'm quite sure it is cigarette smell because I'm also pretty sensitive to it (really allergic when I was younger)... BUT I will say I didn't even detect the faintest whiff of it until I took off the plastic. So I can understand why you didn't smell it when you packaged it.

I have a tarot bag with Lavender sewn into it, so maybe I'll just store the deck in there for a while.

Btw this isn't meant to be critical of you or anything, I really appreciate you selling us these decks (thank you!!) and I'm sure you didn't realize there was any smell, especially if my deck was the odd one out.

photokat

Celice said:
I'm quite sure it is cigarette smell because I'm also pretty sensitive to it (really allergic when I was younger)... BUT I will say I didn't even detect the faintest whiff of it until I took off the plastic. So I can understand why you didn't smell it when you packaged it.

I have a tarot bag with Lavender sewn into it, so maybe I'll just store the deck in there for a while.

Btw this isn't meant to be critical of you or anything, I really appreciate you selling us these decks (thank you!!) and I'm sure you didn't realize there was any smell, especially if my deck was the odd one out.

Nah, I am not taking this the wrong way, I am just wondering what could have happened. Weird. Cause I have open deck here also and it doesn't have any smell. I'll send you a PM!

Le Fanu

conversus said:
Photokat, thank you for making it possible for these decks to find welcome homes!!
isn't it wonderful? As if all these stray, unloved, abandoned decks have suddenly been rehoused overnight!
zan_chan said:
Thanks, aurarcana! I love that thing :heart: It's taking all the strength in the world not to order one of these wee bold Thoths, but honestly considering I have absolutely no plan to read with Thoth in even the most unlikely of near-ish futures, I just don't need a fourth version...(right?) ..... :laugh:
And you surprise me zan; your favourite deck is Thoth-based and here you have the chance to own a deck from Hermann's homeland- he may even have gone to one of their fayres himself to check out their Thoths & buy one for himself? Check out the dates, maybe this was the Thoth he consulted while working on the Haindl? })

zan_chan

Le Fanu said:
And you surprise me zan; your favourite deck is Thoth-based and here you have the chance to own a deck from Hermann's homeland- he may even have gone to one of their fayres himself to check out their Thoths & buy one for himself? Check out the dates, maybe this was the Thoth he consulted while working on the Haindl? })

Oh you dirty enabler you...But lucky for me I never read the Haindl as having anything to do with Thoth anyway (which is why I've switched to TdM actually, but that's another story...)

Such pretty colors..... <goes into trance and bows towards Egypt....>

fyreflye

My cards came yesterday. They're about the size of the Thoth pocket edition but slightly thicker. There's no smell at all, and I'm especially sensitive to cigarette smoke. Easy to shuffle though a little awkward to handle because of the size. But I bought this as a collector, not a reader, and I've stored it in a small bag I have courtesy of Cerulean's generosity. I'm sure it will be on everybody's trade/wish list in a few years :)

What intrigues me most is the fact that while the OTO could essentially shut down sale of the Thoth by the big distributors for several years with a copyright lawsuit, two German witches could manufacture and sell this deck without anybody even noticing :D