Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

How To Laminate Cards?

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Deck Creation


 
Chiriku's Avatar
Chiriku  Chiriku is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 May 2010
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,126
Chiriku 

garmonbozia,

Thank you greatly for taking the time to respond in detail to each of my conclusions.Your answers are just what I needed.

From what you write,

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
So hot laminate definitely does also stick to the object regardless of whatever the consensus theory is.
Good to know. Bad that that happened to your cards, but better to know sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
Lesson learned: either leave a lot of space between cards (only use 4 cards per pouch) or if you are going to use 6, be very careful and hold the cardboard tray level as the laminator feeds it in.
Hmm. I don't like the sound of that. I anticipate problems on my end.

If all hot pocket/pouches come with cardboard, I'll be sure to use that, so thanks for the tip. Otherwise, what brand are you using, that gives you the cardboard trays with the pouches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
Not true. You can use any size pouch you want. You can easily cut away any excess. I used the full size pouches and laminated 4-6 in each pouch and hand trimmed the laminate with scissors.
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
If your sheet of cards is a solid sheet (and I can't imagine how it would not be), you definitely need to cut your cards first and then laminate them. If you laminate the whole sheet and then cut the cards, you will have no way of leaving a lip of laminate around the edge of each card. Without an edge of laminate sealed to laminate, the laminate will eventually start to separate with use of the cards.
ETA: never mind; I think I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
I left very little edges of laminate around the cards, about 1/16". I then ran them through the laminator again to make sure that the very thin edge I left was definitely sealed together.
So to double-check: first, you put 4-6 pre-cut cards in a large pouch and laminate it, then you cut them out of the laminate sheet to end up with individual cards again, then you ran each laminated card one-by-one through the laminating machine *without* using a new pouch...correct?


Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
That one looks reasonable enough to me. If the sheets you buy come with a cardboard sheath though, I'd recommend using it. Or try out not using it on something unimportant first. The bubble/imperfections she pointed out in her pouch are very common in the excess areas of laminate that does not have anything in it. She just needs to trim the pouch around the shape of the artwork. You should not see these on your cards or even close to them.
Thanks for watching that vid. I have no idea if the sheets come with a cardboard sheath...could a sheath even fit into a machine that slim-seeming?

To avoid such bubbles, should I use a pouch of a size small enough that it's filled up by all the cards (leaving little extra space for bubbles)?

Also, what was the model and brand of your machine?

Thanks again.
Top   #111
garmonbozia's Avatar
garmonbozia  garmonbozia is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 823
garmonbozia 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriku View Post

Hmm. I don't like the sound of that. I anticipate problems on my end.
It's not difficult at all, and will be even easier to prevent if you don't need to use a cardboard sleeve and can see what the cards are doing. I just figured out a little too late that I needed to hold the pouch/sleeve level with the slot in the machine and not let it rest on the table as it was feeding in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriku View Post

If all hot pocket/pouches come with cardboard, I'll be sure to use that, so thanks for the tip. Otherwise, what brand are you using, that gives you the cardboard trays with the pouches?
I would suggest doing whatever the instructions on your machine and pouches say. The brand of pouches I used is GBC Heat Seal Long Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriku View Post

So to double-check: first, you put 4-6 pre-cut cards in a large pouch and laminate it, then you cut them out of the laminate sheet to end up with individual cards again, then you ran each laminated card one-by-one through the laminating machine *without* using a new pouch...correct?
Yes, correct, but when I ran them through the second time I ran them through two at a time (placed two in the cardboard sleeve at a time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriku View Post

Thanks for watching that vid. I have no idea if the sheets come with a cardboard sheath...could a sheath even fit into a machine that slim-seeming?
Perhaps, the cardboard is usually not very thick at all. It's just protection for the laminate so that it is not touching the heating elements directly. I would make sure your machine is designed to use any type of pouches from other companies. Stick with whatever the directions say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriku View Post

To avoid such bubbles, should I use a pouch of a size small enough that it's filled up by all the cards (leaving little extra space for bubbles)?
It doesn't really matter as you'll be cutting away any excess. Unless you wanted to keep a full laminated sheet without any timming, then yes, I would fill up the sheet more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriku View Post

Also, what was the model and brand of your machine?

Thanks again.
You're welcome. The machine I used was a Royal Sovereign RPA-5954. It belongs to my office so I have no idea how old it is or how cheap/expensive a model it might be.
Top   #112
Chiriku's Avatar
Chiriku  Chiriku is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 May 2010
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,126
Chiriku 

garmonbozia, thanks a lot for the extra details.


Well, if I can find a machine that takes pouches that uses cardboard sleeves, I will. Funnily enough, most Amazon reviewers don't mention the cardboard. But you've also explained well the alternative:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
I just figured out a little too late that I needed to hold the pouch/sleeve level with the slot in the machine and not let it rest on the table as it was feeding in.
I hope to undertake my first experiment this weekend if I have all my materials assembled by then. I will come back to the thread to update.

Cheers,
Top   #113
tarotlyn's Avatar
tarotlyn  tarotlyn is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 17 May 2007
Location: Spirit World in California, USA!
Posts: 6,702
tarotlyn 

Just want to add for those that will still be using the cold lamination Xyron machine:

You can get the rolls of lamination that has TWO sides...so when you put your 'sheet' of UNCUT cards
through the rollers, it will lamination on both sides and i have never had a problem with bubbles
or any other problems by using the 'two sided' lamination rolls.

Also you CAN cut and round the corners of your cards AFTER laminating them on the whole sheet of cardstock.

Also you do not need any cardboard sheeting under your cardstock sheet.

Cold laminating with the Xyron is the easiest and fastest thing you can use.

i have used both hot and cold lamination methods.

i think it just depends on IF you like the stiffer cards (hot lamination) or the more flexible cards (cold lamination).

HUGS
Lyn
Top   #114
garmonbozia's Avatar
garmonbozia  garmonbozia is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2012
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 823
garmonbozia 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriku View Post
Well, if I can find a machine that takes pouches that uses cardboard sleeves, I will. Funnily enough, most Amazon reviewers don't mention the cardboard.
It's very possible that newer machines made for primarily home use no longer require the cardboard sleeves. The one I used is a heavier office model and probably a bit older. If the machine directions don't mention one, they might not be needed for all machines.

Best advice: test it out on something of similar thickness that is not important before laminating your cards.
Top   #115
Chiriku's Avatar
Chiriku  Chiriku is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 May 2010
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,126
Chiriku 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarotlyn View Post
Just want to add for those that will still be using the cold lamination Xyron machine:

You can get the rolls of lamination that has TWO sides...so when you put your 'sheet' of UNCUT cards
through the rollers, it will lamination on both sides and i have never had a problem with bubbles
or any other problems by using the 'two sided' lamination rolls.

Also you CAN cut and round the corners of your cards AFTER laminating them on the whole sheet of cardstock.
tarotlyn, you're so convincing.

Because of this post, I went and cancelled my order I made yesterday for a hot laminator (by Scotch) and ordered the Xyron cold laminating machine I had dismissed due to some negative reviews that stated it was too easy for the laminate to wrinkle in the latter.

If I had known for sure when I was buying my laminating machine earlier this week that I wouldn't have to apply the contact paper/two-sided laminate to the item first (i.e. manually) before running it through, I would have bought the Xyron cold laminator to begin with. But I didn't know for sure and didn't want to risk it, so I bought a hot machine I knew for a fact had an automated feeding system. There were also hundreds and hundreds more reviews online (all over the place) for hot laminating machines, and comparatively few (which were mixed) for cold home lamination machine. The wrinkling issue was especially disturbing.

Obviously, I would much prefer to feed in a whole piece of paper with six cards on it and then cut them out after the fact. Besides being a whole lot easier, my cards would probably turn out better because it lessens the opportunity for botching by uncrafty people like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarotlyn View Post
: i think it just depends on IF you like the stiffer cards (hot lamination) or the more flexible cards (cold lamination).
I don't really have a preference as of now; I see a benefit to both. I life the sturdiness factor of the stiffer laminate, but on the other hand, it's also more obtrusive when working with the cards, I'd imagine. If I were making placemats or ID cards, I'd use the hot (stiffer) laminate, but because I'm making cards, I don't think I'd mind the latter being a bit floppier.

Really, the dispositive factors for me are those related to the ease of laminating and cutting. To that end, I just cancelled my hot lamination order and ordered the Xyron cold machine in its stead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post

Best advice: test it out on something of similar thickness that is not important before laminating your cards.
You just bet I will! And that applies to hot or cold laminating.

The machine I ended up buying (and now, cancelling) has plastic trays on either side of the "feeding" mechanism; I thought those might help guide the items into the machine or serve as a backup to my holding them.


Thanks to both of you for your help.
Top   #116




 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.