Le Grand Universel, Bruno de Nys

McFaire

I don't often come across a deck that isn't among the 1200+ decks reviewed here on AT, so I thought I'd share this one, that I came across by accident today. I was quite attracted to it.

I had a heckuva time identifying it, because the box shown in the photo is not the box for this deck. (The box appears to be Le Nouveau de Marseille by Colette Silvestre-Haeberle.) Once I finally identified the artist, I found a couple of posts referring to him in these forums. Natch!

I thought I'd share the pic just for fun, for my fellow deckaholics here. (It is self-published in French by the artist.)

Attachments

• Le-Grande-Universel.jpg
    Le-Grande-Universel.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 542

magpie9

I really love this deck, but it drives the Purists Wild.;)

McFaire

I can see why!

For me that's part of the appeal.

(Not that I enjoy seeing purists driven wild, lol. I meant, it challenges me.)

magpie9

I dunno, I kind of enjoy watching them lose it....}) You wouldn't think backgrounds could be that big a deal...and yet they are!

Eno

I thought I'd share the pic just for fun, for my fellow deckaholics here. (It is self-published in French by the artist.)
As a severe addicted deckaholic I just had to buy one. Found it on amazon france...

McFaire

Oh my word! You are! I just looked at your profile.

How do you like the de Nys deck?

Eno

Oh my word! You are! I just looked at your profile.

How do you like the de Nys deck?

It will take a few days to ship the deck from France to Germany. As soon as it arrived I will let you know...

But the pictures you posted look great, I like the psychedelic-style of colouring.

McFaire

ohh... you mean you ordered it just now. cool!

Le Fanu

I have it and mustn't be a purist because I love it.

There's space for everything in tarot. If I want something pure I go elsewhere. If I want something with a modern touch, contemporary flair, I go for this.

I much prefer a deck like this to - say - the Universal Marseilles. I think I'd rather have them either pure (like the Flornoy decks) or whacky like this one rather than sort of pretending to be the real deal like the Universal Marseilles or Grimaud Marseilles.

The Bruno de Nys has a great deal of charm and it also has dreamy cardstock, which is always a plus.

ETA; my box is different to the one linked.