the tree of life

Dragons_Wing

i was reading an explination of how the tree of life comes about. starting w/ one, one relizes its reflection which makes two. (and here comes my question) the difference between one and two makes three.

i dont understand how the difference makes three.

i can understand everything after that like the reflection of the triangle makes 4, 5, 6 and the reflection of that makes 7, 8, and 9 and 10 comes from dangling off of 9. as kind of a base.

i ask this because it seems like the tree of life seems to be a major part of the thoth. should i just meditate more on it to understand it more or is there someone who is able to explain it a bit more.

i know that Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo Duquette gets refered to as the idiots guide to thoth but as i'm reading it, it still seems to be over my head at times :(

Emily

Hi Dragons_wing,

I'm using DuQuette's new book alongside The Book of Thoth.

Actually I've just read the part in DuQuette's about the Tree of Life and I don't quite get it either lol - Maybe the source book, Book of Thoth, will be more forthcoming.

I've just found this in DuQuette's:- page 58
Quote ' The Tree of Life - This figure must be studied very carefully, for it is the whole system on which the Tarot is based. It is quite impossible to give a complete explanation of this figure, because (for one thing) it is quite universal. Therefore it cannot mean the same to any one person as to any other.' Unquote.

Going to read up on this - hopefully someone more experienced with the Thoth can post lol

Emily

Hi again Dragons_Wing,

I've just been reading The Book of Thoth in relation to the Tree of Life - it really goes into detail, too much to take in with one reading of it lol but its made for fascinating reading, page 30 to 35 and a few pages on.

Do you have The Book of Thoth or if not try going to one of the online links to it here in this thread. Crowley really brings up some interesting details about the Tree of Life in relation to the Thoth.

Hope this helps - Off to do a little more reading. :D

Macavity

Well, since we're (mostly) already DuQuette customers, perhaps it's not too bad to quote what he says in the "Chicken Qabalah"...

"... the moment my Self became concious of my reflection (my Not-Self), a third concept was created, that is the knowledge of the difference between Self and Not-Self. "I am 'this' but 'that' is not I".

Fair enough? But I think, with much of this, you have to understand that the ability to "waffle" (British expression?) in a meaningful-sounding way is quite important too... :D

Macavity

Dragons_Wing

hi emily and macavity,

i dont have the book of thoth quite yet i spent all of my money on astrology books and numerology books to supplement this book :-/ but next week i'll be getting it. i couldn't get to the link of the online version of the BOT

and thank you macavity for the quote, it seems he explains it a bit better (in my opinion) in that book than in this one.

*sigh* now theres another book i want to get. i'm going to need a book case for just my thoth related books :)

Diwha

Mirror of the soul

Hi everyone
I am assuming Duquette's book you are mentioning is Mirror of the soul, and does anyone know of an on-line version?
Thank you Diwha

crystal cove

The only "Mirror of the Soul" book for the Thoth that I'm aware of is the one by Gerd Ziegler.

Lon Milo DuQuette's book is "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot".

Both I'd highly recommend; although, I'm not aware of either one online.