Spread for beginners

MantraTarot

I feel a bit dumb because I don't really understand the Celtic cross spread when asking certian questions. Is it really that easy of a spread to do or am I making it more difficult than it actually is?

Astraea Aurora

Oh no (((Mantra))) no need to minish your self-confidence over the CC. :love: I never really cared for it until late last year when I finally wanted to get a grasp on it. What really helped me understand it was going back to AEW himself and his book The Pictorial Key, wrapping my head around his words. I found that in his simple words I was finally able to truly understand it. I don't care for the billions of interpretations of the CC cause AEW made me see the beauty in it. Now I'm using solely his layout and positions and I've never looked back.

If you want to understand it take your time and keep on searching. It will come to you. But besides the CC there are hundreds of thousands of other spreads to use and enjoy.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Aurelious

Edit: Let me add a spread or two I use to be helpful to the thread lol.

3 card spreads can be made into any catagory, any position you want WHEN you want.
Past-Present-Future
Mind-Body-Soul
Choice A-Probable Choice Taken-Choice B
Bend?-Fold?-Mutilate?
What you don't know-What you know-What you need to know

It can go on and on indefinately. Just take a question, figure out three aspects you want to know about said subject, and you have all the tools available. Personally, I shuffle the deck and draw 3 cards and make a story based on the cards, trying to figure out what the question could of been about based on the cards drawn (3 swords would probably represent a mental dilemma of sorts, for example.)

CC is a staple in Tarot, eery reader knows it and every reader has their own little twist in it making it specially for them and hard for others to use it. I wouldn't worry about the CC, especially in the beginning. First reading I ever did I got demoralized because it made NO sense, and even babbling what I found in books on meanings were making me look more like a fool than anything else. Then I learned there are 3 card spreads and was happy.

Everyone's CC is a little different. They may place the cards in a different order, use different positions, etc. Find one you can commit to memory and use it, AFTER you get more experience with 3 card spreads, then 5 card, then 7 cards (I love 7 card spreads. Just enough cards:information ratio for me, IMO.)

MantraTarot

Astraea Aurora said:
Oh no (((Mantra))) no need to minish your self-confidence over the CC. :love: I never really cared for it until late last year when I finally wanted to get a grasp on it. What really helped me understand it was going back to AEW himself and his book The Pictorial Key, wrapping my head around his words. I found that in his simple words I was finally able to truly understand it. I don't care for the billions of interpretations of the CC cause AEW made me see the beauty in it. Now I'm using solely his layout and positions and I've never looked back.

If you want to understand it take your time and keep on searching. It will come to you. But besides the CC there are hundreds of thousands of other spreads to use and enjoy.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Thanks AA. I think I'm just better off staying away from the CC right now. At least there are other great spreads like you've mentioned. I'll just keep trying go find my niche. :)

divinemsm

For me, the celtic cross was also a little daunting. The more cards there are, the more confunded I tend to get. It is a good beginning spread because it is structured and because you can ask other readers questions about it because most readers have some basic understanding of it (or a book laying around somewhere with it in there).
I like 3 or 5 card spreads as starting points. I read what they tell me and then draw more cards to clarify certain points. That way I am not trying to read a bunch of cards at once. You can start with a Past-Present-Future or a Mind-Body-Soul or a Issue-Possible Solution-Outcome spread and then toss on more cards to clear things up.
Hope this helps...