Fallen Angel Oracle - Nigel Suckling

Jagdamba

I've been looking at an old thread on here about this oracle deck and I'm wondering if anyones about who can comment on their experiences with Fallen Angels? I am going to acquire it shortly & I'm curious how others have found it.

I've read that some people feel that the energies associated with this deck are somewhat ambiguous and therefore akin to Fae energy. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Le Fanu

I'm the wrong person to ask that particular question about this deck but I do like it - but then I like gothic graveyards and chipped statues. Regarding fae lore and things like that, I wouldn't know as it is very much tied up with demons and I think of fae as something else.

But I do think it is an interesting Oracle in a sea of repetitive themes. I find that there are remarkably few oracles which give me deep readings and this is one of the ones that does. So many of the others don't go much beyond a keyword and are not sufficiently deep to get more lateral meanings.

I like it. I'm not sure it's very visually sophisticated. A bit goth album sleeve perhaps, but I like it.

Jagdamba

Regarding fae lore and things like that, I wouldn't know as it is very much tied up with demons and I think of fae as something else.

But I do think it is an interesting Oracle in a sea of repetitive themes. I find that there are remarkably few oracles which give me deep readings and this is one of the ones that does. So many of the others don't go much beyond a keyword and are not sufficiently deep to get more lateral meanings.

I like it. I'm not sure it's very visually sophisticated. A bit goth album sleeve perhaps, but I like it.

Ah, I think someone was saying something along the lines of: think of fallen angels as being a bit tricksterish and mutable, neither benign nor malevolent...

...There seemed to be a bit of unease around about the association with demons for some in the older thread on here...along the lines of...I don't sleep well & my house feels wrong since I fraternised with Suckling and his minions...

I think perhaps the comment was designed to settle unease & make the deck seem more palatable?

Like you, I value decks that can provide deep readings & hoped that perhaps this one would provide that. So I find your comments encouraging.

Its a shame that the visuals lack sophistication but 80s goth reminds me of old boyfriends and their vinyl...so theres a certain not unpleasant nostalgia there ;)

Thanks for your comments

darkbookworm13

I have this deck, but have only had the chance to read with it a few times. I find that it is a lengthy process, and that the cards have a lot to say when I use them. I usually need about an hour or more to journal out everything that comes from the reading.

I have noticed a sense of a presence around me when I use the deck, sort of like being under a magnifying glass, and I am reminded of how tiny I am. But nothing more involved, only when I read the cards.

I am not sure why you are feeling disturbed sleep and such while using the deck, I have found the beings related to the cards to be cautious, and slow to act, but not evil or malevolent.

What sort of upbringing do you have? Oftentimes, when someone grows up with a religious background that espouses fear towards demons and the "wrongness" of dealing with them, that brings emotions into the person's life that cast shadows that cause more fear. I had to overcome similar feelings when I left my birth religion for Paganism and Witchcraft, but once I discarded the mentality that I was going to hell, I overcame that fear and was able to grow in my beliefs.

It could be that you are experiencing the same sort of feelings, arising from conflict with beliefs that are fomenting more fear after having used the cards.

For the connection between Demons and Fae, I feel that Fae are much different (nature spirits, connected to elements, originating from wilderness, etc.), where Demons seem to be more connected with Ceremony and Ritualized contact. I don't know where either has originated from, but I find that they are two different sets of entities.

Does that make sense?

Jagdamba

Thanks for your comments Darkbookworm13. Again, some feedback indicating that these cards seem to provide readings with a lot of depth. Your comments about this oracle being time consuming are relevant also. This may be why some of my more complex decks can get less use.

Please let me be clear: These experiences of not sleeping etc. are not my own. I simply read about them. Consequently, I am curious as to what others make of the entities associated with the deck. Mostly because I am incredibly ignorant about such things and think perhaps others will have things to teach me.

I'm not especially nervous. For example, I love the Thoth tarot & some people make up

similar stories about that i.e. they cant bear to give it house room.

I did have a conservative religious upbringing & definitely have had to cross some powerful childhood taboos to be here talking tarot today. Thanks for your feedback.