2econd 2arot

Mallah

Hello everyone! I have begun work on a new deck (this will be my second...hence my "working title" which will not be the end title!) I wanted to start posting here on my progress and get opinions on some images from the community!

I'm really looking forward to sharing ideas here.

Just to let you know, I've been studying Tarot since '85. In the early '90s I did my own deck, stylistically much like this one, but my art skills have improved. I'm not an artist by trade, but a musician. My work is inspired by stained glass and mosiac.

I'm looking at doing a deck with less esoteric symbolism...(I love esoteric symbolism, but I kind've went overboard with all that in the early days of my study, reading too many books and such...and have really been trying to read more intuitively.)

I'm thinking that I will have "pips", (unillustrated/minimally illus.) like my last deck, but might do both, and offer both as options in the finished deck.

I do intend to self publish the deck when it's done.

The last deck took about a year...this one seems to be going faster, as I can complete a card (must be the size I'm working in) in 2-5 hours, not counting the ruminations on design that I have to go thru first. That's all happening in advance of myself.

here is a link to my photobucket album that will show the cards as they get done:

www.photobucket.com/lumpy5tarot

password: lumpy5

there are currently 3 cards, and the empress is on my table right now (I guess I do 'em in order...I did last time!)

Looking forward to working with you all!
I'll be back on here with a question for you about the empress.
Oh, and how do you all feel...do you think most querants/sitters/clients like an illustrated minor arcana? Seems like they would...deck might sell better with the illustrated minors, huh?

Mallah

oh, and you need the password!

it's lumpy5

Alta

Thanks lumpy, that's a nice start. Your Magician goes the farthest from the RWS model and I see your point about focusing on the activity involved rather than the person.

Linh

Such beautiful artwork so far! Keep up the great work :)

Mallah

Thanks for your reply, Alta. I wonder if that's a good thing, tho...does taking the central character/person out of a card de-personalize it? I mean, does the original concept --of a human character--make the idea more approachable for some....by anthropomorphosizing a principle? This is the way myth and storytelling work. In some ways I think I've nailed it, an in other ways I think I've weakened it.

Which brings me to another Idea I had for this deck: options. Take for example this card....I could offer either this card or a "personified" magician. In the case of the Hierophant, I could offer a preistly card, or a teacher card.
WHile this could potentially become nightmarish, I could do it as "booster paks" just like the kid's Poke-mon, Yu-gee-oh or Magic: the Gathering cards were. You buy the basic deck, and then "upgrade". Heck, you could order unillustrated pips, or swap in those princesses for the knights if you prefer. It would make it sort of a collector's experience.

This also solves the issue of "should I go this way or that way with the symbolism?

Some might preferr a "transformation" card to a Death card, some might want "strength" some might want "lust". Some might want Justice11 some might want Justice8.

How often have I gone thru a new deck saying Oh My Gosh, this is THE ONE...only to have it all come crashing down when I see certain choices the artist made.

The Crystal Tarots...for example...swap swords and cups....swords are water and cups are air....sorry, I found that to be a downer...what if they offered options? They'd make another sale, that's what. I love that deck enough to buy replacements for the ones I'd like to adjust.

Anyhow, thank for lookin.

Mallah

Thanks, Linh.

I'll probably be putting up another today or tomorrow.

Mallah

opinions please?

okay...I've put up 3 pencil sketches (real fast ones) of possible empress designs.

They each show different facets of the archetype, and I'm wondering what people preferr. Whichever one would be redone in the style of the colored cards...with an emphasis on greens, no doubt.

Please let me know what you think, 1, 2, or 3?

The link is in the first post, above.

Thanks, folks!

Alta

Just some thoughts: I prefer the first version because of the amount of natural elements that you added.

Why the 'bars' on the second, is she supposed to be imprisoned? Also she looks like a child and the Empress is definitely mature energy.

In the third, with the 2 trees so prominent it reminds me too much of the pillars of the High priestess.

Mallah

Heh heh...

THe "bars" are the lines in the notebook that was drawn in. SHe does look like a child, doesn't she? I was going for the chunky mama look.

And you are right about the double pillars in the second one.

Last night I hit on the first one in my mind, too.

Thanks, Alta