The Gilded Tarot Royale

Aerin

I suppose that it depends on the market Llewellyn think they are in - maybe they think they will make far more from a new deck that from a re-jigged deck.

Who'd have thought it, boob controversy :S

Personally I think there's a big difference between silicon babe and naturally errr firm assisted by good underwear ;)

If I were the queen I'd get me down to an underwear shop :D

cirom

I suppose that it depends on the market Llewellyn think they are in - maybe they think they will make far more from a new deck that from a re-jigged deck.

I don't think the choice was between a new deck or a "re-jigged". I envisioned this as a replacement to the original, not as an optional additional version to it, or taking the slot of whatever completely new deck might otherwise be published in the same year. In other words this would have been the only Gilded version available going forward. I considered it a serious re-working (sounds better than re-jigged) version, which potentially would have appeal to those who already owned the original but preferred the look of this one and would have considered adding it to their collection. Or to those who would not have been interested in the current version but would be interested in this "subjectively" improved one. The publisher assumed the opposite, namely that my opinion that this version will be a better one would not be shared by the customers, so why risk it and jeopardize something that from their perspective has worked very well up to this point.

So maybe this version being limited to a special edition is the best option all round. A lost potential maybe, but no risk in these troubled times either. My only regret is that a limited edition is just that, limited... the number of people who get them is limited either for cost or even awareness that they exist, less advertising, no distribution etc etc. From a personal financial perspective based on previous projects, there is little difference, so money really isn't the issue. From an artistic perspective though, sure I prefer the idea of more people owning it.

Anyway, attached is the Emperor. I changed the main character on this card more than on most. The costume less colored, a more serious expression. Better portraying I think the physical strength of the individual, but more importantly the symbolic power of his title. It also works better with the modified Empress, not posted yet.

Attachments

• NG emperor comparison.jpg
    NG emperor comparison.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 315

Nina*

Oh.... he's wonderful!

Satori

Wow, that is one great Emporer! That may be my favorite Emporer card of any deck. I love the Roman feel. And yes, a vast improvement over the first one.

BlueDragonfly

I can see his strength, and I love the reworked garb, but what I see that really appeals is the feel that he is also scholarly! An emporer after all, needs to be knowledgable as well as a strong ruler with royal presence!

Little_Sparrow

I actually have seen the Empress card that is posted on your fb page and this is beautiful - they really do go well together no doubt!
Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful cards with us - ooo I'm all excited about buying these cards!
and who knows?
Maybe if they sell quick your publisher will re-think their original opinion? (I'm still getting the first addition though =D lol )

NikkiB

I may have missed this but WHEN!!!!!!!

Carla

Wow, Ciro, I had your Legends deck and didn't click with it, but the cards you've shared here are just so wonderful! I am very, very interested in Gilded Royale!! Well done. :D Now, have you ever thought of doing a borderless version? There's a strong fan-base of borderlessness here. :)

The Emperor is my favourite of the cards you've shared here so far. He is fantastic! And about the Queen of Swords, it would really interesting if you added a bit of grey to her hair. I personally thought she looked a trifle overweight, but maybe it's the layers, eh? :)

NikkiB

I like the overweight saggy breast queen. It reminds me of me lol and so nice to see a deck that's got real body issues ...

However I need to make a strong caveat.

Don't mess with the devil. Perfect is fine in that instance :heart: :D

euripides

I like the overweight saggy breast queen. It reminds me of me lol and so nice to see a deck that's got real body issues ...

WOT? Body issues? Overweight? She looks pretty much NORMAL to me - after a couple of babies your boobs are no longer defying gravity above your armpits. We're just too used to seeing hollywood actresses with their inflated chests and stretched faces and plumped lips.