Beginning the Tarot Deck Creation Journey - Creative Fire Tarot

CreativeFire

I have also been bitten by the tarot deck creation bug recently and have been busily working away on a tarot deck project of my own. :)

Warning: This is no great artwork :) - this deck creation project is just for the fun of it and the enjoyment of the learning experience in coming up with ideas and fairly quickly putting those ideas into a card using photography / computer collage.

So here it is so far: Creative Fire Tarot

I am really enjoying working on this deck and would be pleased to receive constructive feedback if you would like to share, but as this is my first try at this type of thing - please be kind. :)

CreativeFire

Eco74

Yay, another one! (But I actually saw the link yesterday on Rabbles website too..)

What a great way to learn the cards too.
I really like the clearcut symbolism youre using. No clutter and a point to everything..
Often it's so easy to put in Every Single Little Thing that matters in the cards when simplicity is really a much better way to start off.

rabble

woohoo!! Glad you posted your link here :)

Major Tom

I want to thank you publicly for your private inquiry regarding your deck before you started this thread. :) I don't see any copyright issues in your deck - this is definitely your work.

I'm also very glad to see at least two of you from the project to create a deck for Kittaine have decided to create your own decks. :D I'll warn you now that it can be an addictive hobby. :laugh:

I'm always interested in hearing about the process of tarot deck creation, particularly how this effects the individual artist.

Tell us your stories, sing us your songs, and share your visions.

Majecot

Creative Fire

What a huge undertaking *my hat is off to you*

I particularly like your Priestess... keep up the creative fires ;)

CreativeFire

Eco74 said:
I really like the clearcut symbolism youre using. No clutter and a point to everything..
Often it's so easy to put in Every Single Little Thing that matters in the cards when simplicity is really a much better way to start off.

Yes, Eco, I am glad that you 'get' where I am coming from with this deck. :)

I started off with a notebook and for each of the Majors went through and tried to limit myself to just two or three key 'things' that I connect with in regards to the card images to the 'deck in my head'. Then just concentrated on trying to stick to just those key aspects. Once I had the 'main' things I wanted to represent the card, then it was the fun part trying to put them together so that they created a new image (without looking too much like separate items stuck on a page - sometimes it worked, some need a bit more thought and work! :D )

CreativeFire

CreativeFire

Thanks rabble, for leading the way and breaking the ice (so to speak) ;)

Majecot, thankyou :) The Priestess is often the card that makes or breaks a deck for me, so I had to try really hard to come up with one that I really like as well.

CreativeFire

CreativeFire

Major Tom said:
I'm also very glad to see at least two of you from the project to create a deck for Kittaine have decided to create your own decks. :D I'll warn you now that it can be an addictive hobby. :laugh:

You are not kidding about the addictive bit! I have been falling asleep each night for the last few weeks with card ideas bobbing around and around in my head! LOL

All great fun though! :D

I'm always interested in hearing about the process of tarot deck creation, particularly how this effects the individual artist.

Tell us your stories, sing us your songs, and share your visions.

If someone had said to me six months ago that you will start creating a tarot deck of your own this year, I would have shook my head and said no way (laughing loudly as well)!

The most interesting thing that I have found though with starting on this is project is what a great learning experience! It has really made me consciously think about what I 'connect' with or 'recognise' in different cards and decks. As this is just the beginning - there is still a lot of learning and fun (and no doubt some frustration as well) ahead of me. :)

CreativeFire

ferrous

Before the two of you (you & rabble, i mean) started creating your own decks, I always said that photographic decks just didn't appeal. Now I know that it's just that I hadn't yet seen a photographic deck which I liked!

I've been following along quietly ever since the link has been in rabble's deck. I adore so many of your cards, CreativeFire!

My only negative, okay, let's call it constructive feedback is that the places where you've 'drawn' in items, they let down the quality of the rest of the deck a bit. I'm talking about places where there's water drawn in, such as in the Tower & Death & also the cape on the Emperor.

Keep in mind that the only reason these things stand out to me is because the quality of the rest is absolutely stunning!

I so wish that I could see some of the cards closer up because they're so lovely. :)

Congratulations, CreativeFire.

CreativeFire

thanks heaps, ferrous :) Your feedback is very welcome too - as I have been thinking a bit the same myself. I am definitely not happy with my Emperor (and his funny looking cape), but he looked even more odd without it. :)

I am still playing with the water in the Death card at the moment, as I agree with you that it does not quite 'go' with the rest of the card.

Finding 'rough' waves is a bit hard around here - no real surf to speak of so I resorted to drawing in the waves on the Tower card, but have just found an old photo of some surf taken at Stradbroke Island that I will have a play with. This is just the sort of constructive feedback that is great to receive. :)

Cheers
CreativeFire