A New Gay Themed Tarot.

The 78th Fool

I've started work recently on a new deck. My primary inspirations were the two wonderful gay decks that are already in existence - Lee's Gay Tarot and Patric Stillman's Brotherhood Tarot. Both are amazing decks and very different from each other. I hope this new deck provides an equally unique perspective.

I'm posting the Ace through to the Four of Air (Equivalent to Swords). These are the basic images - I haven't designed the borders yet. I haven't decided on a title for the deck yet although there is a strong emphasis on the four elements and how they shape and define our personalities. The eventual title will probably reflect this.

Hope you like the images - feedback would be really appreciated. I'll post more as they get done!

Chris. xx

UPDATE:23rd July 05:

It's mentioned further down the thread but for anyone coming here for the first time I've now posted all completed images to date on my web site:

www.butlerart.co.uk/tarot

Whenever I put anything new on the site I'll notify everyone through this thread. xx

Attachments

• Ace-of-Air.jpg
    Ace-of-Air.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Two-of-Air.jpg
    Two-of-Air.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 352
  • Three-of-Air.jpg
    Three-of-Air.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 355
  • Four-of-Air.jpg
    Four-of-Air.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 352

Kahlie

They are marvelous.
For some reason, I didn't like the 4 of Swords so much. I guess it has to do with the way the man is positioned on the Card. He seems much more "outside" or made as a collage, then the other 3 Cards. (don't know if I am expressing myself well).

Normally I don't like photographic decks so much, but these images are very evocative.

Ooh, and I would choose no borders.

Good luck with your Deck.

Kahlie

prudence

Chris, WOW! these are such striking images!! Swords are not my favorite suit, but these are very beautiful. And I would like to second Kahlie's suggestion about no borders...these images don't need to be held in by borders!!

Can't wait to see more!!

Elven

Hi The78thfool,

These are striking visuals! This should be a great deck! :)
I agree with the no borders, and if I could be so bold - The 3 of Air - is such a great looking card - and very expressive ( especially the blue background and the eye), but I think the heart spoils it a bit. Its almost as though its not necessary. The facial expressions says so much, but I realize its a symbol associated with this card. Maybe a different heart or colour? Not a critisism, just a thought!

Good luck with the rest of the deck. Keep the pics coming! :)

Blessings
Elven x

Astra

The layout and basic imagery are, simply, very, very good. Whether they need borders - well, if it were me, and the symbols for the other elements permit, I'd mirror the graphic outline style on the symbols as a border.

Minor itch - when the a photo of the same person came up on the four as on the two, it bothered me a bit. I think if you're going to use photo images for your people, you will need to build a really wide base of photographs to select from.

The 78th Fool

Minor itch - when the a photo of the same person came up on the four as on the two, it bothered me a bit. I think if you're going to use photo images for your people, you will need to build a really wide base of photographs to select from.[/QUOTE]

Hi Astra,

The idea behind all the numbered minors is that the same person will be used throughout all forty cards - I know that people will either love or hate this!! What I want to do is show the symbolic aspect of each card manifesting in the life of an individual. Obviously in certain cases other men will appear with him on certain cards but overall the numbered cards will tell his story. Lee tells me that Gina Pace has done something similar in her Pagan Tarot - I have only seen samples from that deck so I don't know how Gina has handled working within that framework. For me it's experimental and I'm finding that many preconceived ideas go out the window once I get into the photo shoot!!

Elven,
Thanks for the comments about the heart - I don't want to lose it because of its traditional association but I have done a bit of tweaking to make it look more integrated. The new version is below.

Kahlie,
You're right - he does look 'outside' - not sure how to fix that one yet!!!

Thanks for all the initial comments guys - It's really encouraging. Working on some of the other Aces and the Two of Fire at the moment - will post them when they are done.

Chris. xx

Attachments

• Three-of-Air.jpg
    Three-of-Air.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 222

Lee

The 78th Fool said:
Kahlie,
You're right - he does look 'outside' - not sure how to fix that one yet!!!
Actually I like the suggestion of being outside -- I think it goes well with the theme of the card, which is someone who removes himself (or is removed) from the middle of the action.

-- Lee

Elven

Hi Chris,

I went and compared the two and the second one does look softer with the blueish aura around it - not so stark - and intergrated into the picture alot better. It looks as if its 'going cold' or being blueish 'its dying' or 'turning blue' - just as the mind/emotions and the physical heart can do! Its amazing what a bit of colour 'tweeking' does! Did you think it looks better?

Looking good!!
Look forward to seeing more of this deck!

Blessings
Elven x

The 78th Fool

I'm much happier with it! Sometimes it takes someone else's eyes to highlight something that needs to be changed. Constructive criticism always pushes you beyond what you thought you could achieve.

Lee!
I hadn't thought of the Four of Air like that but i can really see your point - This is an isolated person - he's in retreat from pain and turmoil. He's in a safe, separated place. I wanted to make it look as if he was floating in a timeless continuum. The four pointed star is a substitute for the stained glass window on the Rider. I love that particular card and the stained glass always gave me a sense of the sleeper being somehow watched over. I didn't want anything quite so specific in my card but the Star seemed to suggest a benevolent spiritual presence watching over him.

Chris. x

Simone

Chris - just dropping in to say that I find your cards - strong!

They do convey their meaning to me quite well - straight to the point.

Me likes! :D

(and I think I do neither have to be male nor gay to like the decK! what do you say?)

Keep up the good work - and - almost forgot: I prefer the second version of the 3 of Air too :D