The Fairytale Tarot

baba-prague

Update!

I'm actually not sure whether to put this here or in "Decks" but decided for now that it mostly belongs here.

So, I didn't manage to get another page of the site up, as I was hoping, but I am going to begin to add cards to my blog. The nice thing about that is that it also lets me put some (unedited as yet) extracts from the companion book (including the summary of the story) up.

So - I decided to begin with the very wonderful story of Tatterhood, as I just love it:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/baba_studio/127296.html

Genna

What a lovely story! Please keep them coming!

baba-prague

One more up, the Elf Hill, with a beautiful but deliberately not-pretty young Elf woman, and the outrageous and funny Goblin King of Norway.

I'll put up as many as I can, but it might be a bit sporadic. Same link by the way :)

Little Baron

They look great Karen (and Alex). As usual, very impressed. You make things look so detailed and unique - it's like finding something antique and precious in a box in Granny's attic when I see your work for the first time.

Wishing you all the best.

LB

Eco74

Oh, these stories are great!
I'm not norwegian but nearly since Sweden and Norway were once a union and still have close bonds through all the historical hassles from the past.

I recognise so much from them and I definately remember reading the one about the elf-king but must have found a "cleaned up" version of tatterhood.
I wonder what collection I got it from though.
John Bauer is one possible source, though he was a painter and illustrator and wrote no stories of his own. The fairytales in the book I remember were collected from several other sources, mainly traditional, and riddled ofcourse with his beautiful illustrations.
I should try to find it again now that I think about it. It has some really nice stories in it..

I can hardly wait to get my hands on this companion-book.. And the deck ofcourse. :D

Genna

Eco74 said:
I wonder what collection I got it from though.
John Bauer is one possible source, though he was a painter and illustrator and wrote no stories of his own. The fairytales in the book I remember were collected from several other sources, mainly traditional, and riddled ofcourse with his beautiful illustrations.
I should try to find it again now that I think about it. It has some really nice stories in it..
The one with the boy and the troll on it(from the 70s)?It was a thick.blue book.I lived on it for years and years,but "Tatterhood" wasn´t in it.Of course,John Bauer illustrated so many collections.

Thank you for the new story and card,dear baba-prague!I love the Norweigean goblin king as King of Wands.BTW,the fairy princess is beautiful;she´s very faery,I think.Kings just sitting around tell so little;this one is in action.The life of the party!I´m going to love this deck so much.

Emeraldgirl

Wow can't wait for this deck to be released. These cards are beautiful baba-prague

baba-prague

The Boy Who Left Home to Find Fear

It's lovely to show some of this deck - and thank-you for the feedback and encouragement.

This card (guess which tarot card it is?), and the description, are now up on the blog. I'll try to post another today too.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ba...dio/127296.html

But soon I'll get the full website done I hope :)

Flavio

Baba-prague:

First or all I loved the cards, the borders added to me a feeling of old book full of tales goes well with the cards. Is nice the name of the fairytale is written in each card.

As a user of the Whimsical Tarot I've witnessed how easy is to understand the concept/meaning of a card by making a reference to a fairy tale or in the case of the Whimsical also to nurse rhymes.

When looking at both decks is obvious the art is aimed to a wider and more mature public as the Whimsical has been suggested many times here at AT as a deck for children and young people. What other things make these two decks different?

Thank you very much. I hope I expressed clearly my question :)

baba-prague

Flavio said:
Baba-prague:
When looking at both decks is obvious the art is aimed to a wider and more mature public as the Whimsical has been suggested many times here at AT as a deck for children and young people. What other things make these two decks different?

Thank you very much. I hope I expressed clearly my question :)

It's a good question. I suppose I'd say that it essentially comes down to the different perspectives. The Fairytale Tarot doesn't just have artwork that's aimed more at adults, the choice of tales is also very different. We haven't included nursery rhymes at all, we HAVE included a broad range of fairy tales (Latvian, Norwegian - as discussed - African, Arabian, Russian etc, as well as the more well-known Western European tales). But I think most importantly of all, we've used the original uncensored stories. Which means that some tales are really quite harsh - but also very resonant and, I'd say, capable of touching us very deeply. A good example is The Juniper Tree - NOT a story that could ever fit in a deck like The Whimsical (it involves child murder and revenge - although it has a thankfully happy ending).

So I'd say that the two decks are as different as chalk and cheese. But of course, both chalk AND cheese can be delightful and useful things :)

I hope that's a good answer, but ask away please if there are more questions. Meantime I will try to post "Godfather Night" (another very dark and rich tale) as "The Juniper Tree" is not yet finished.