Javanese Folktales Tarot (in progress)

temperlyne

I really like the style of these cards! The artwork looks very professional and I'll look forward to seeing this deck develop.

blackairplane

Stunning cards! Good job Maygreen!

truelighth

I just found this thread, but wow, very interesting. I like the style of your art. And the stories and legends make me curious. I always like the combination of folklore/legends with tarot. If you do get it published, I would definately like to have a copy.

Debra

Ah, Maygreen, these are coming out beautiful!

Cerulean

"Gorgeous"!

I have one folktale puppet deck that I find charming, but yours is much more lovely and readable in a dreamy way...

Don't forget to check out Adam McLean as a possible publisher...

Best regards,

Cerulean

PeterS

Wonderful Artwork!

I can't believe the progress I have found in just a few days.

I also have a deck of playing cards I purchased a couple of summers ago when I was visiting Java. It was at a Wayang puppet show and I loved the stories and interested in the mythology. I think that you should certainly look at getting published. The quality of the art is stunning and a book or booklet to tell the stories would be very interesting. Your take on the tarot is truly a new voice in the tarot community that should be rewarded.

I will be looking forward to your continued success and progress. I too would likely consider purchasing a deck if it were possible.

Peter

Maygreen

Sorry for taking so long to replying. I kinda in rush making the rest of the card (Wheel of Fortune - Judgement) since next Friday is the D-day ^^;;;. Thank you very much for all of the encouragement and I'm really really happy if my kind of deck is acceptable.

I have one folktale puppet deck that I find charming

Wow, folktales from where? Is it mass-published?

I also have a deck of playing cards I purchased a couple of summers ago when I was visiting Java. It was at a Wayang puppet show and I loved the stories and interested in the mythology.

Is it Tarot Wayang or some playing cards with Wayang illustration? One of my prof also make Classical Wayang Series for Playing Cards (There is Java, Sunda, n Bali version :D ).

blue_fusion

Maygreen said:
I took "Rara Anteng" story (Legend from Tengger, a very traditional clan near Bromo Mountain). From the stories Rara Anteng is a figure of calm and wise woman that she didn't even cried when she was born ^^;. When some bad nasty guy attracted to her beauty and want to marry her, Rara Anteng didn't reject it hastily (since it'll bring destruction for his clan and family) but give him one condition to marry her like some impossible task that has to be finished before the first cockedodledoo in the morning. In the end Rara Anteng wins the bet because she thresh the rice and woke the rooster before the time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Maygreen/TheHighPriestess.jpg

Interesting thing when I research Javanese folklore is how heroines potrayed more independent than men. Women in folklore usually didn't rely on their family but more to their lovers or even themselves although sometimes they're tend to be passive and just waiting for the good fortune. Heroes (Male protagonist) mostly have a strong attachment to their family especially their mother (some of the stories even indicates mother complex trait ^^;). But Heroes have more active roles and adventure than heroines.

Btw, sorry if my English kinda wrong. ^^;;

i think culturally, we have the same depiction of women heroes in legends and folktales - that they achieve their goals in very calm and collected ways. lol i like the imagery, the rice pounder mortar-and-pestle look, though - and this is just me, the image seems a bit empress-y too since it has a harvest thing going. :)

really beautiful style, i really like the fact that you're using a very culturally-visual style with this deck. i'm also loving the "graininess" of the style. would you mind sharing the technique you use? :)

Maygreen

i'm also loving the "graininess" of the style. would you mind sharing the technique you use?

I'm using Canson Mitents for the paper (It's kinda textured) and Watercolor Pencil/Aquarelle to draw it. After that I scan it and give "watercolor effect" to the draw with Adobe Photoshop. I'm not really skillful with digital stuff, that's why I chose to do it manually. ^^;

Little Hare

MayGreen,

The empress card is absolutley jaw dropping! It is so beautiful. I would really really Love a copy of this deck

You have such a wonderful gift of drawing story's from the images.

x