Maroon Tarot - what do you say to that?

Educatio

thank you all:)

I'm having a really bad day today but thanks to your replies I'm feeling much better. Well, telling the truth I feel much better when I think of the cards themselves, of the project.

My favourite card is Hermit although, the card depicting me right now, at this moment of my life, is Magician. And I like this idea!:)

Wishing you all the best, Maja

Disa

The cards are gorgeous!!! The borders really draw me into the picture instead of taking away from it. I hope the minors are illustrated just as beautifully. I can't wait to see the rest. Thanks for sharing and good luck on the rest of the project.

Disa

blackairplane

Hi,
Beautiful images- very nice. I would offer this advice- The word "Maroon" has some racist overtones in English, and is inappropriate slang in some parts of the country. I don't know what it means to a Polish speaker. It's use is somewhat archaic in English but it crops up now and then nonetheless.

tarot4fun

Hi Maja,
I think your Maroon Tarot deck is wonderful; the depth is amazing. I can only imagine what it would be like to hold the card in my hand and really look at the picture and see what it 'says' to me.
Love it! :heart:
Blessings~

Educatio

the name and its

Hi,

thanks for the info, Blackairplane.
As far as I know, "maroon" is a colour and it is the colour of the frame of my deck. An interesting thing is that the painter's surname is MARONSKI, which is sort of close to the name of the colour.
As to the archaism of the word: the deck is not supposed to be modern so the archaic tone in its name is OK.

Still, I am interested in what exactly are the overtones of 'maroon' in American English nowadays?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

All the best,

Maja

p.s. Not to mention there is a band called 'Maroon5' and their music is fine;)

blackairplane said:
Hi,
Beautiful images- very nice. I would offer this advice- The word "Maroon" has some racist overtones in English, and is inappropriate slang in some parts of the country. I don't know what it means to a Polish speaker. It's use is somewhat archaic in English but it crops up now and then nonetheless.

Astraea Aurora

Hi Maja,

the Majors are gorgeous. Usually I'm not so drawn to computer made or computer looking decks, but yours is fine. They have a very light feeling to me, as if I'm floating. It certainly feels like a dream world.

Keep going on!

Astraea Aurora

blackairplane

Hi,
Maroon is a color in the US too and also the name I think of a college sports team, but the word has an archaic meaning that is derogatory to blacks. It once meant like the word marooned, and refered to escaped slaves. It was used to describe slaves that had run away which were called Maroons and came in the 1900-1950 to mean someone who was black doing something risky and stupid. "What a maroon", was common speech slur in the 1940's and was used to describe a stupid black person or to slur someone as being like a stupid black person. It IS now archaic, and would not be known to most people, but I just wanted to call your attention to it, from a marketing standpoint. I don't think it would be a problem especially if it is a predominate color in your deck, but might be noticed if you used images of black people heavily in your deck.
Your deck is a REAL beauty. Congrats on it.

wytchwood

These are really awesome!

Zoe

Sinduction

I hate to say it, but I would most likely buy this deck. I am so picky about the artwork in the decks that I purchase. While I haven't seen all the cards yet, I am amazed with the depth I see in the pictures. I feel like I am looking straight into another world. And it is most beautiful. I love it so far. The Magician is absolutely speaking to me.

tabi

I love fantasy artwork but this is something that is stunning both in color and quality. There is a very realistic feel to this that most of it doesn't contain, it feels as if it is photos from a different plane of reality.

Would love to see the entire deck, but it looks like it will be a gem! Sorry I don't have the patience to struggle through a non-english site at the moment but I'll look around more tomorrow after I get some sleep. :|