What the heck is this Oracle stuff?

Curtis Penfold

Alright, I've been studying Tarot, as a poet and spiritual person, trying to see what I can get out of its symbols. I have been so surprised at the depth and layers of meanings found in Tarot.

I've recently become aware of these other cards that move in different directions known as "Oracle Cards."

Could anybody please explain to me in simple language what is an oracle deck? How do you read with it?

Not just that, but what I'm most interested in is: is there a story behind some oracle decks that goes as deep as Tarot? Is there a progression? A continuity of symbols? Is there any application that Oracle Decks have for art and poetry, or for living a spiritual lifestyle? Something that goes beyond divination...

Guiding Cauldron

*HI THERE I'LL TRY TO ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS AS I SEE THEM.

Curtis Penfold said:
Alright, I've been studying Tarot, as a poet and spiritual person, trying to see what I can get out of its symbols. I have been so surprised at the depth and layers of meanings found in Tarot.

I've recently become aware of these other cards that move in different directions known as "Oracle Cards."

Could anybody please explain to me in simple language what is an oracle deck? How do you read with it?

*FOR ME AN ORACLE DECK IS A SYSTEM THAT ACCESSES MORE YOUR EMOTIONAL PATHWAYS ALONG YOUR SPIRITUAL JOURNEY. SUITABLE FOR ALL SORTS OF PERSONAL HEALING AND INNER WORKINGS TO MOVE FOWARD ALONG YOUR SPIRITUAL PATH.

Not just that, but what I'm most interested in is: is there a story behind some oracle decks that goes as deep as Tarot? YES THERE CAN BE, DEPENDING ON THE DECK, THE CREATER OF THE DECKS MINDSET, ETC.

Is there a progression? NOT NECESSARILY A DEFINED PROGRESSION AS THERE IS WITH A TAROT DECK.

A continuity of symbols? AGAIN THERE CAN BE DEPENDING ON TEH OVERALL THEME OF AN ORACLE DECK. SOME DEAL WITH JUST TREES FOR EXAMPLE WHILE OTHERS DEAL WITH A PROGRESSION THROUGH THE ELEMENTS OF FIRE, AIR, EARTH, WATER AND SPIRIT/ETHER.

Is there any application that Oracle Decks have for art and poetry, or for living a spiritual lifestyle? ABSOLUTELY BUT ITS DOWN TO YOU HOW YOU APPLY IT YOUR PERSONAL LIFE, PATH AND OVERALL GOAL.

Something that goes beyond divination...

HOPE YOU CAN ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS, TAKE CARE XX

Mariana

As to deeper oracles that involve a lifestyle: there are a few with a long history that go back to pre-tarot ages, like runes and ogam, two pagan alphabet-based oracles.

Aulruna

thorhammer has provided some excellent links discussing both formal differences and also the difference in content between Tarot and oracles.

It is very hard to generalize, because there is such an abundance of Oracles around.

For a long time, I preferred Oracles with a well structured, stringent systems -Runes, Ogham (though technically, here on Aeclectic oracles are defined as card-based systems ... stones, staffs and the like are considered "Divination"), modern versions like the Moon Oracle by Smith/Astrop that follows lunar cycles and zodiac correspondences.

Many of the card packs like the Doreen Virtue decks seemed arbitralily put together, like a big jumble of random keywords. I needed several daring round in the Intuitive Oracle Exchange (in Oracle Reading Circles) to just allow myslef to go with the flow and let images inspire me and speak to me on a deep level without having studied the symbolism or school of thought.

For my spiritual path, especially Froud's Faeries, the Spirit of the Wheel Oracle and the Well Worn Path/Hidden Path cards have furthered my growth beyond reading fortunes.

AJ

Tarot gives a box to work within, Oracles insist on working outside the box.
Highly structured vs. spontaneous

Curtis Penfold

Thanks a lot, guys!

I'm definitelly checking up those links. I was really just wandering how much the Oracle cards can be used for more than just divination.

I have found everybody's answers helpful, and will look a little deeper into Oracle decks. Thank you.

Nevada

Tarot is one type of oracle deck, as well as being a playing card deck. Other oracles don't have the same structure as a tarot deck, in other words the 22 majors, 16 courts and 40 pip cards. But they can be used in similar ways, and some oracle decks depict archetypal symbolism just as the tarot does in its majors. The sky's the limit, really, in the variety that oracle decks can take.

There are also oracles that aren't cards -- such as runes painted or etched on stones, and so forth.

When decks are called oracle decks here, it means they're non-tarot oracle decks.

merissa_88

I love tarot and I am learning two new decks right now. However, oracle decks get you out of the major/minor arcana structure. I love that, since I was always working with tarot decks that were a little unconventional, like the Secret Dakini Oracle or the Voyager. Those two decks reinterpreted some of the major arcana cards.

I love decks that connect you to the energies of something: plants, crystals, etc. The oracle decks I own do that. My sister works with Doreen Virtue's goddess cards - they really bring in the energy of the goddesses.

Golden Moon

To me, oracle decks guide to your intuition, they speak to your subconscious.