Quick questions about... the Empress

jmd

These threads arise out of some of the general questions on the Marseille, and seek to make it easier to sort and find more specific queries...

Cerulean

If you saw Empress in a red dress...

If your favorite Marseilles has what you consider a 'correct' or favored coloring, what colors are the gown, mantle or robe of your Empress? (In a quick online look, there might be a blue tunic over a red skirt or dress..)

I've a small concept that if some writers or artists were looking at old iconography, they might have the Empress in a red dress. I'm checking this out on the Italian decks that I know about...it's an offbeat idea because I'm learning some of the color symbolism of iconographic church pictures...Mary after giving birth in "Adoration of the Magi" pictures may be commonly shown in a red dress with a dark blue mantle, the blue turning to black in very old pictures because of the paint's aging. If your Empress' has something similar, can you let me know? ,It might be close to certain Catholic iconography I'm finding in Italian paintings around the 1400s through 1500s.

One example of related links is below. I was noticing it because I was snapping pictures of Florentine Madonna of the 1500and supposedly Milanese alter from Bonafacio Bembo's school circa 1420 at a university museum this past weekend. I was comparing it to a Madonna picture of Bembo's in a museum catalog as well.
http://cgi.www.sandiegomuseum.org/c...?mode=&term=191984&axis=Terms&highlightAtoZ=M

Thanks. I hope this is an appropriate question or it might be relevant.

Mari

jmd

My understanding - which I will have to re-check given your post - is that the more traditional representation is that the dress is marian blue, and the mantle generally depicted as red.

It's interesting that these are also, as you mention, the two predominant colours used on both the Papess and the Empress.

Personally, and as I have also mentioned in the threads on both these cards, I tend to see the first (II Papess) as having close iconographic connection to the annunciation, and the second (III Empress) as very much having iconographic connections to Mary & Child (and thus/also Isis & Horus).

HudsonGray

But she really is sitting on a bird, right?