Making deck bags! What symbols should I embroider?

Julian Jaymes

So I do some embroidery and sewing, and I make tarot deck bags. I've made like 15 to house my current collection (and to practice) and now I'm embroidering ones to sell. This is not an advertisment though - I just wanted to ask:

What symbols should I embroider on the bags? ie, what symbols would you like to see on a deck bag?

I have done a crescent moon and a couple of pentacles, as well as a J.R.R. Tolkien rune on the bag for my LOTR deck, but all those seem so conventional. I'll be offering custom ones in my shop, but I want to try some more new things.

A friend of mine suggested zodiac signs, and I'm definitely going to do them, but I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions!

~JJ

willowy

So I do some embroidery and sewing, and I make tarot deck bags. I've made like 15 to house my current collection (and to practice) and now I'm embroidering ones to sell. This is not an advertisment though - I just wanted to ask:

What symbols should I embroider on the bags? ie, what symbols would you like to see on a deck bag?

I have done a crescent moon and a couple of pentacles, as well as a J.R.R. Tolkien rune on the bag for my LOTR deck, but all those seem so conventional. I'll be offering custom ones in my shop, but I want to try some more new things.

A friend of mine suggested zodiac signs, and I'm definitely going to do them, but I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions!

~JJ

What about doing symbols of the four suits,cups,wands,pentacles and swords?Either mixed together or individually?

Trogon

The signs of the Zodiac sound like a good idea. The symbols of the suits of the Tarot would be good as well - you mentioned that you'd done some pentacles already, swords, wands and cups would work well too. You could also do symbols which represent the four elements. Native American, Australian Aboriginal or other ancient rock art symbols might be really cool too. Egyptian Hieroglyphics come to mind as well.

barefootlife

I personally am a fan of the 4 elements triangles. They'd look really nice on a plain colored bag. Also the oroboros, although I'm not sure how well that would translate to thread. Moon phases would be cool, or the )O( symbol. A sun to complement your moons, too. Om and chakra symbols would broaden your market if you're going to be going the Etsy route.

EmpyreanKnight

Try the Unicursal Hexagram that can be found in the Thoth. Make sure to make yours multi-colored too if that's possible. :)

Nemia

When I could still embroider, I took motifs from the decks - a leaf with water drop from the Haindl, and the suit symbols from the Inner Child deck. Oh, and the Thoth star. I made these bags for my own use so I could take my time for each. (Sorry to those who saw the pics before, those bags were the nicest I made...)

I love all symbols from nature - spirals, circles, all kind of stars, circle with cross, shells, crystals, feathers, flames, flowers, butterflies...

Le Fanu

I suppose an initial " to order" is a bit obvious? I'd like a lovely ornate letter of my first name. Just because.

My mum did some lovely tarot bags for me and bordered TARO, as in the wheel of fortune ROTA etc

decan

I love the idea of the 4 suits (Cups Wands Pentacles Swords).

A owl or a cat (stylized of course) could be an idea. Generally people are fond of cat representations!
There are as well some celtic symbols like the Triskelion.