Connecting with Oracle Decks-am Confused

Jubear

Hello there

I haven't been on this forum for a long time as I stopped working with my oracle decks. My problem was I didn't think I connected to any of my decks and the messages I was getting just did not match my situation at all. Another problem I have is that I am still struggling to connect with the images. Nothing comes to mind. I find I connect more to the words in the guidebook or sometimes the words on the card. Maybe I am having a block as I am trying too hard. I think I have become a bit disillusioned with it all but so want to try again.

Can anyone share how they know the deck you are working is one that you connect with? Especially when the message you get does not correspondend to your question. What helps you to keep working with a deck even if the message doesn't relate? Any further tips on understanding the cards?

Has anyone found a deck that is largely word based? I posted about this is one of my lasts posts?

Thanks so much for reading my post.
Jubear

reall

you posted interesting question here!:) that may be often problem with so many beautiful decks that in practice turn off topic?x,x lolz ;))
imo if you are having trouble with Oracle decks in general maybe you should get*back to basic* and once again learn how to read a cards with deck of your preference?:) i.e if you first learned how to read with Tarot or Lenormand or any other system you should try working with it again and then use same process with your new oracle?:)

In my case it takes looong time before I actually decide to get new deck and start working with it seriously?:)/even if I have superlong wish list for all sorts of decks?x,x lolz ;)) imo you should always do research on line but feeling you get when holding actual deck in your hands is also important!:) ie you get new deck you wanted so long and when you finally get to touch it in RL it gives you Yikes!x,x lolz :) so that can be obstacle by itself?:) and even if that's not the case you can only discover what exactly is the problem by working with it?:) so I suggest you keep trying?:) maybe to do some energy cleansing?:) and approach it only when you are calm have enough free time and be open minded to see what is obstacle ie keywords? images? art style?x,x environment? lack of focus etc

btw for reading basic I advise you to check free e book for my Chakra Lenormand
http://primavistax.deviantart.com/art/Chakra-Lenormand-guidebook-592483968
especial part about each card meaning as it may give you some ideas?:) like you don't need to stick with keywords on card or guidebook meaning?:) but write your impression of each card and try interpreting it on your own way!^^lolz who knows maybe you'll get surprised how good some deck are when interpreted on your own!^^ lolz ;))

zannamarie

What helps you to keep working with a deck even if the message doesn't relate?
I stop working with the deck. I either set it aside and try again at a later date or I just pass it along to a new owner.

I don't see any reason to "make" myself connect with a deck. If I connect with a deck I know it and want to use it. The answers are helpful in relation to the question and have meaning for me.

Has anyone found a deck that is largely word based?
Have you tried Bibliomancy? That might appeal to you. It's all words.

I think some of the Doreen Virtue decks have cards with quite a bit of text on them and I'm sure there are others out there too.

Good luck finding a good fit. :)

Jubear

Thank You

Thank you for the suggestions really nice to know I am not the only one who has trouble reading or connecting with oracles. I have not learnt to read the tarot and began with oracles many years ago as I thought I would connect easier.

I like point about knowing if you will connect with a deck. I sometimes am taken in by the drawings and colour but that's as far as I go. I have so many decks and often go back to them years later but still no real connection. Oh well I will keep practising if anyone does have any further tips please let me know.

Thanks
Judith

MakoMoonPool

Can anyone share how they know the deck you are working is one that you connect with? Especially when the message you get does not correspondend to your question. What helps you to keep working with a deck even if the message doesn't relate? Any further tips on understanding the cards?

This reminds me of an article I recently found online by Corbie Mitleid. What really makes sense to me is about using the card imagery of a deck to paticular subjects which relates to you. This sort of assessment can help to create new card spreads for a paticular deck too.
For example, I'm working with the Clow cards. Each of the figures in the cards represent an entity with an assigned magickal power. So logically, I would use this deck for questions similar to "how can I bring more magick into my life?"

danieljuk

Hi Jubear,

first like others suggested, it might be you just can't connect with those oracle decks. I have at least one Oracle which I just cannot connect with the art work or the theme! I put it away and rarely use it, for me it gives very basic readings. So first work out if it's a connection problem with the deck.

secondly if you have problems with the artwork or don't read like that, use the book meaning by the author. Sometimes the book that comes with it has huge amounts of text or is totally rubbish. I recommend trying to understand the system of the Oracle Deck and maybe working out 2 or 3 "keywords" of the card.

thirdly you have to practice with the oracle in different readings and situations. Sometimes it is a squeeze to make the card fit but you have to think outside of the box sometimes. for example say you are about your career prospects and the oracle gives you a card called "Rose" with a Rose on it! That is a tricky one! I would research on Google about Roses, look up symbolism and research it (sometimes Dream sites for symbols can be good as well as art history symbolism sites).

But practice and you can read for other people on here or join in our one card oracle threads in the games section and there is a monthly Oracle circle! it is great for getting you into the oracle mindset. Also you can take an oracle card for each day for an inspiration message. I just bought a new oracle which is really tricky and has an essay (almost) per card! So I am using it daily as an inspirational message!

Some people never connect with Oracles and prefer the structure of Tarot, Oracles require you to be flexible and spend sometime with each deck working it all out :)

DDwarks

Hi Jubear,

Some people never connect with Oracles and prefer the structure of Tarot, Oracles require you to be flexible and spend sometime with each deck working it all out :)

I couldn't agree more with that! I have 3 that just sit on my shelf. I JUST don't get on with them and I'd like to call myself quite intuitive.

Hi Jubear,
Like pointed out above I am very much into my practical structured life. I like things to be "to the point".
Maybe you are too?
The only "Oracle" I do get on with is the Osho Zen Tarot. Technically a tarot deck but not to me. To me it's very much oracle!
If you have any tarot experience perhaps you could pull a tarot card a day, about your day, at the end of the day as well as 1 Oracle card to go with it. Then you could see how they relate/ compliment each other. Or what the oracle card adds to the tarot card meaning for you that day.
I could do that myself too I suppose but I have find my happy middle ground (Zen) and I am sticking with it. For now anyway!
If you haven't got any tarot experience or affinity with it, I would say to write down at the end of the day what happened to you, what you heard of that day and specifically how it made you feel.
Then pull a card to describe the day how you felt it (and pause to feel it and work it out) then pull a card for guidance.
Good luck x

Absynthe

I knew the Froud Faeries Oracle was for me when I had bought my third one after ripping up the other two in frustration....Lol! It doesn't always feel like a match made in heaven or easy for that matter. It took me a long, long time to get anything useful from the faeries oracle. The first 5yrs or so was just reading the guide book over and over. But lately I can pick the deck up and see multiple messages even in cards which I previously thought were a waste of space because they didn't seem to say anything. Combinations of cards now make perfect sense to me when it all used to be a mystery.

If a card repeatedly shows up and frustrates you because you just can't get it, that's a good sign the deck is working for you. It's making you think, challenging you to understand it's message. Getting under your skin by triggering you. When you are triggered this way it's a good time to place that card somewhere prominent so you look at it every day and ask to be shown it's relevance in your life.

I also own Heart Of Faerie as a deck too. But since I've only had a few years it doesn't feel as close to me as the original faeries oracle does.

Jubear

Thank You

Hi there

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. It was interesting to read that tarot is more structured. I didn't realise this. I have a tarot deck but couldn't get into it. I didn't connect with the images. DDWarks, I think l you may be onto something with reference to preferring to be practical and structured that sounds a lot like me. Despite me trying to convince myself I am free spirit. Lol! I am definitely going to check out Osho sounds interesting.

I am still playing around with my cards, but find it frustrating. My ideas just don't match the guidebook. I am starting to work out what works for me in oracles though. I think my cards work for certain issues and times in my life too. I still have a long way to go. I think I may even consider looking at tarot cards. It has fascinated me but find it a daunting task to get started. Lol

MakoMoonPool can you guide me to where I may find the post by Corbie Mitleid sounds like I could do with reading this as starting point.

Thanks so much for your support it is inspiring me to keeping giving it a go and not to give up.

Jubear