Reading Oracle Decks

Barleywine

I'm going to get more serious with reading oracle decks when I get the Earth Wisdom oracle. Right now I only have one that isn't Lenormand (Oracle of Visions). I realize that oracles can be much more personal than universal in the way that tarot is (I intend to stay well away from "angel" cards and that whole industry), so methods of reading them can be anything that strikes your fancy. It's probably telling that there is no "Oracle Spreads" sub-forum here.

I like at least a little bit of meaningful pattern and flow in my layouts, and I like to create my own. I'm assuming that the LWB or companion book for an oracle deck will go into the subject regarding that creator's particular vision, but I was wondering if there is anything more cross-cutting in terms of spread design. Of course, I could always use the same approach I use for tarot spread creation, but I'm looking for a new direction.

Any recommendations or ideas?

BodhiSeed

I think the reason there isn't an "Oracle Spreads" section is because most people use the same spreads they would use for tarot cards. However, since most oracles have fewer cards, I would choose a spread that didn't require a great deal of cards. I rarely do only tarot or only oracle, but combine both. The plus side of oracles is that if you like the art but hate the meanings (some can be quite fluffy with little substance), you can just write your own meanings to go with the cards. :)

AnemoneRosie

I have a few decks with enough cards that I can use a Celtic cross. Otherwise I tend to stick to the many 3-5 card spreads available, or a 12-card yearly spread.

Barleywine

I think the reason there isn't an "Oracle Spreads" section is because most people use the same spreads they would use for tarot cards. However, since most oracles have fewer cards, I would choose a spread that didn't require a great deal of cards. I rarely do only tarot or only oracle, but combine both. The plus side of oracles is that if you like the art but hate the meanings (some can be quite fluffy with little substance), you can just write your own meanings to go with the cards. :)

Thanks, that's good advice since I see oracle decks as purely intuitive for the most part. Contemplating the images and seeing what ideas they evoke is half-way to creating one's own deck.

Barleywine

I have a few decks with enough cards that I can use a Celtic cross. Otherwise I tend to stick to the many 3-5 card spreads available, or a 12-card yearly spread.

Yes, I'm thinking that an Earth-centered oracle would be perfect for a Wheel of the Year spread. At the other end of the spectrum, I intend to focus on 3-card spreads for dailies and slightly larger ones for weekly and monthly readings. The companion book to the DruidCraft Tarot has some ideas in it that may prove useful. I already have a lunar month look-ahead spread that should work well with oracle cards.