Advice

jillkite

work on coming into contact with the energies of the cards, discover how each one feels. make connections between each of the cards and experiences you have had in your own life, and connections with different aspects of your own self-expression.

and... practice, practice, practice ;)

and... keep it simple... simple readings can be very rich.

three for the price of one :)

Michael Sternbach

First off, something you haven't heard yet...

If you want to be an outstanding reader, get a lot of knowledge. Tarot to me is not least a science. Read plenty of good books about it.

Once you start getting interested in other decks, pay attention to their similarities but also to their differences. It might be a good idea to focus on one deck and get to know it really well before getting involved with others too much.

Practice plenty.

My 3 x 2 cents.

Eremita90

Since this seems to be often overlooked, or downright disregarded as useless, I say: get a lot of theoretical understanding. Read, read, read. Some of the best books on tarot do not have the word "tarot" in their title, so remain open, and curious.
Of course never neglect practice, as study without practice makes the tarot cold and dead, and practice without study makes it horribly stupid

JackofWands

Practice reading without relying on the imagery of a specific deck. Try to focus on what a card means rather than just on a specific symbol that shows up, because then you'll be able to read with any deck (or even a deck of playing cards).

Michael Sternbach

Practice reading without relying on the imagery of a specific deck. Try to focus on what a card means rather than just on a specific symbol that shows up, because then you'll be able to read with any deck (or even a deck of playing cards).

Well, that's assuming that every card has exactly the same meaning in every deck. And that their meaning can be disconnected from their symbology. :confused:

Ace

One more thing I came up with: If you see something bad, try to pull cards to show them a way to fix it. When we read, we are reading the Askasic record, the record of everything up to this moment. Sometimes we try to read AHEAD into the future. But there we will see bad things, since the querent hasn't gotten there yet to make it better. So be careful when looking to the future, especially for an outcome. They can change it. So instead of answering will I or won't I, yes or no? look for obstacles that may get in their way so they CAN get the outcome they want.

barb

Yarrow

You "read" the tarot cards because they tell a story.

Find that story.

Kindest,
Yarrow